Price of Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price of Milk

Perhaps in light of www.HonoluluGasPrices.com, they should create a sister-site @ HonoluluMilkPrices.com.

Milk and dairy in general is actually one of several notable commodities (along with real estate) that my sister Keanu said was significantly cheaper in Missouri, where she recently moved back home to Hawaii from.

I love milk. Tank the stuff.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Price of Milk~

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Yes, it has something to do with more corn being used for ethanol production, but it's also because of higher fuel prices to transport the milk, and more expensive grain to feed the dairy cattle, the increased demand for milk products from American and foreign consumers (much of our milk goes into cheese products), and the weird way the government stacks the deck by having a milk price "floor" that is adjusted monthly (as noted in this article).
      Wait a minute. They need the edible part of the corn to make ethanol?

Well, that sucks.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Ethanol is a perfectly good example of a policy rooted in cognitive dissonance.

Ethanol is a negative return resource. Takes more fossil fuel energy to create than it returns during it's use.

And of course, creating ethanol from corn is like taking the food out of your child's mouth, and tossing it into the fire to stay warm.

Ethanol is a liberal, environmentalist's dream come true. It's amazing to me how many people simply refuse to see the truth due to the blinders of a belief system rooted in wishful thinking.

Save the Humans.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Ethanol is a negative return resource. Takes more fossil fuel energy to create than it returns during it's use.
          I think it depends on the crop used and some other details.

Still, I have a hard time seeing ethanol going all that far in Hawaii in the long term. Hawaii's labor and land prices are just too high compared to the 3rd world. Long term, it will probably be cheaper to import.

If that happens, then we'll have a second local surgar crash.

Comment

I've gone into this topic before, with citings and references.

But please, Gecko, choose belief and opinion over facts, science, or knowledge.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

But please, Gecko, choose belief and opinion over facts, science, or knowledge.
              Yeah - because we ALL know that typical liberal cognitive dissonant politics of "no" are responsible for everything that's wrong with the world - from the price of milk, to access issues with the Superferry, to aircraft corrosion, to disrespect for women by men (and vice versa), to the return of Lord Voldemort. We know it because Tim has continually convinced us with his overwhelmingly superior logic, knowledge and guidance.

So, fall in line, will ya, GG? Or Tim will think that you "hit" him first - and we all know where that will end.

Comment

Well Leo, it sounds like you are finally starting to understand. But I don't remember mentioning the corrosive effects of Lord Valdemort upon the hull of the Superferry.

But with the case of ethanol production, which clearly drives up the price of milk due to increased demand for cattle feed (ie corn, and other feed crops), there is one particular point that should worry you......

When the liberals and the conservatives line up together and agree on a subject, in this case ethanol production, then that should be enough to set off every alarm bell you have.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

So, ethanol is no good.

We're still light-years away from processing hydrogen as fuel.

We're gonna be stuck with fossil fuel for a long, long time, with OPEC controlling that world's supply.

Let's invade Venezuela.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Let's invade Venezuela.
                    Nah, let's go with our original plan to make Iraq a democracy so we have have a new best friend in the oil rich middle east. (Do you remember how the drumbeat for Iraq started shortly after all the concern that the House of Saudi was going to fall?)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Yeah - because we ALL know that typical liberal cognitive dissonant politics of "no" are responsible for everything that's wrong with the world - from the price of milk, to access issues with the Superferry, to aircraft corrosion, to disrespect for women by men (and vice versa), to the return of Lord Voldemort.
                      I think that's giving it too much credit. Remind me sometime to talk about the "politics of problems".

Comment

And of course, creating ethanol from corn ...
                        ...which is yet another one of Tim's ignorant misinformed assumptions: they only way to make ethanol, is from corn.

Here in Hawai‘i, the only way ethanol companies plan to make their product is from sugar cane. Frankly, it’s cheaper, and takes less resources. Already in Brazil and Australia, companies are growing a strong and profitable ethanol business using sugar cane.

The main advantage, ofcourse, is its proliferation helps science continue to develop alternative fuel from agricultural sources. </offtopic>

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Save the Humans.
                          Tim, I think I may have finally found the energy solution that will please you greatly, on many levels.

Enjoy.

Comment

Interesting to see that a thread about milk has become this economic debate :P

I will now attempt to hijack this thread back to its original purpose...

SO... I'm not much of a milk drinker but Costco seems pretty OK on price!
                            Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                              Interesting to see that a thread about milk has become this economic debate :P
                              New to HT, aren'cha? (It happens often, but thanks for adjusting the track.)
                              Here's a question for Hawai`i residents (as I am not):

If you were to create your own Index of Island Economics, based solely on the average purchase price of selected commodities available in Hawai`i, what five items would you choose to be your measurement indicators, excluding land and housing?

Milk? Gasoline? Cheerios? Matchbox cars?

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                The main advantage, ofcourse, is its proliferation helps science continue to develop alternative fuel from agricultural sources. </offtopic>
                                You know, I'd like to see someone do some calculations to see how much energy there is in all these alternatives. Just because something can produce energy doesn't mean it's practical on a large scale. For example, roughly how many acres will it take to convert from oil to biofuel? Or to go all solar energy? I see all these technologies designed to "lessen our dependence on foreign oil" and yet that only seem to talk about "up to 20% of our energy usage".

Oh, dang, there's those facts again....

Comment

Working...
                                X