Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price of Milk

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Hey TuNnL, I mentioned "corn, and other feed crops", so please know that I realize it's not just corn.
    Since when is sugar considered a “feed crop”? Maybe I might ‘feed’ it to horses in Waimānalo for a special treat, but give us a break, Tim.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Y
      Are you suggesting man-power to make the turbines rotate to generate power? That's a hefty payroll, which will have to come from the customers paying their electric bills (after the power rate hike is approved).
      I was being sarcastic - came across much better in my head

All of my suggestions on this work much better up in my ivory tower.....

It's why I could never be a politician.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
        At this point I could get really sarcastic about those really rich republicans who are buying the SUVs and Hummers..........but I won't go there.
        I had no idea that only really rich repubs drove all those SUVS and Hummers on the streets of Hawaii. They must not vote or we'd have a different legislature.

Back OT for a moment, what is most discouraging to me is that the end of dairy production here on Oahu is the loss of a product which we are fully capable of producing and now we will be importing it and much of that will be of substandard quality.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          "In 1996, General Motors (G.M.) launched the first modern-day commercially available electric car, the EV1.
          I got a chance to test drive the EV1 back then. It was a fun car flooring it at the light. Electric motors are a lot more powerful than combustion engines. Too bad for GM, if they kept the program going, they could have easily been the leader in hybrids instead of Toyota.

True, but then why build a hydro-station that have no demand for it in Hawaii that you can profit from?
          I agree with you that you need the car and the fuel to make it work. I was just pointing out the biggest obstacle to fuel cell cars right now is the economical mass production of liquid hydrogen and its distribution.

Are you suggesting man-power to make the turbines rotate to generate power? That's a hefty payroll, which will have to come from the customers paying their electric bills (after the power rate hike is approved).
          Prison labor!!!

Better than them lifting weights all the time. All we need is a drum beater.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          I'm not sure if you are making that claim or are lumping it in with the public misconception. But it's a false statement given the current technology.
          Solar has the ability to make a huge dent in our current power consumption but I agree, it's not ready to completely replace. The biggest benefit I can see for solar in Hawaii is to help provide the extra juice during peak load hours which is usually during daylight hours. That way, the base load needed by power plants can be minimized. Right now, plants are designed to provide enough power to cover peak loads, but since plants can'y be readily shut down, there's a lot of wasted electricity at night.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Solar has the ability to make a huge dent in our current power consumption
            I guess it depends on what you mean by "huge dent". Right now, I don't think it can do much more then shave some percentage points off of fossil fuel. Because the output of photo voltaic keeps changing (and can disappear suddenly), it can never be more then the power grid's ability to adjust to the change.

Solar for water heating it great - but currently it's only practical for certain types of buildings. If we're serious about expanding that, we need some incentives for landlords to install them. Because why would a landlord install it for a rental to lower the operating cost for their tenant? We also need to expand the use of heat pumps. They are more practical for apartment owners who have no access to a roof.

Comment

Prison labor!!!

Better than them lifting weights all the time. All we need is a drum beater.
              Now why does that brought up the image of Conan the Barbarian?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Let's face it, folks. We're stuck with fossil fuel.

Sighs. My dream of an independent Sovereign Republic of Hawaii is all but dashed.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

A G4 nuke plant stuck in those surplus hollowed out military sites might work out nicely. The mountain would add extra shielding and protect it from terrorist airplanes. Unfortunately none are expected to be built until 2030.

But it still doesn't fuel our tourist trade.

I'd be curious about the amount of land needed for biofuels. Biofuel, biomass, etc solve a lot of problems with solar and wind. Even if we import it, we have more flexibility on where it can be imported from. We can choose to import from more friendly nations.
                  Last edited by GeckoGeek; August 3, 2007, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Solar for water heating it great - but currently it's only practical for certain types of buildings. If we're serious about expanding that, we need some incentives for landlords to install them. Because why would a landlord install it for a rental to lower the operating cost for their tenant? We also need to expand the use of heat pumps. They are more practical for apartment owners who have no access to a roof.
                    That's what I'm referring to, the combination of solar based applications such as photovoltic panels to solar water heaters to heat pumps. A combo of these apps will help with peak power usage. And I agree more incentives need to be created to encourage the spread of these applications.

A G4 nuke plant stuck in those surplus hollowed out military sites might work out nicely. The mountain would add extra shielding and protect it from terrorist airplanes. Unfortunately none are expected to be built until 2030.

But it still doesn't fuel our tourist trade.

I'd be curious about the amount of land needed for biofuels. Biofuel, biomass, etc solve a lot of problems with solar and wind. Even if we import it, we have more flexibility on where it can be imported from. We can choose to import from more friendly nations.
                    Instead of simply looking at just how to replace fuels we use, I would say it's easier to take smaller steps on maximizing the most of what we use now and how to be more efficient. Encourage solar apps, maybe allow smaller micro cars in the Hawaii market? And maybe investigate more on how we can generate electricity from ocean waves, we got practically an unlimited amount of that and it's 24/7. I think we already import from friendly nations, think Australia and Indonesia are our two primary suppliers.

Now why does that brought up the image of Conan the Barbarian?
                    Gotta admit, that be funny and cool and productive all at once.

Comment

And maybe investigate more on how we can generate electricity from ocean waves, we got practically an unlimited amount of that and it's 24/7.
                      I wonder how steady that power is?

And I also wonder who's going to allow it to go up? Sounds good in theory, but when you select a site, I'll bet the howling will begin.

Comment

Gecko is referring to the Politics of NO, in case some of you did not understand.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I wonder how steady that power is?

And I also wonder who's going to allow it to go up? Sounds good in theory, but when you select a site, I'll bet the howling will begin.
                          I don't remember if I ever mentioned this so I apologize if I already did but the Pelamis wave energy converter looks very promising.

http://www.oceanpd.com/default.html

It is anticipated that future `wave farm' projects would consist of an arrangement of interlinked multi-machines connected to shore by a single subsea cable. A typical 30MW installation would occupy a square kilometre of ocean and provide sufficient electricity for 20,000 homes. Twenty of these farms could power a city such as Edinburgh.

Edinburgh has about half the population of Oahu. I think this really has the potential to at least solve our state's electricity needs, not needs for transportation but infrastructure. And yes, I can imagine location will be the biggest argument. Personally, I don't think these machines are ugly at all.

Comment

I don't think surfing is a very popular sport in the UK. So what happens to surfing here when those things are deployed?

Second question is what is the difficulties in placement? The seafloor falls away quite rapidly around the island. I suspect they have to be tethered. That will complicate the install.

What happens when the surf is flat? Seems like it suffers from the same issues as solar and wind. Supply doesn't match demand.

Comment

I don't think surfing is a very popular sport in the UK. So what happens to surfing here when those things are deployed?

Second question is what is the difficulties in placement? The seafloor falls away quite rapidly around the island. I suspect they have to be tethered. That will complicate the install.

What happens when the surf is flat? Seems like it suffers from the same issues as solar and wind. Supply doesn't match demand.
                              I really don't think surfing will be impacted as these machines can be deployed quite a distance out. Also, let's not forget, we're not surfing at every single part of our island coastline.

As for tethering, probably a bit of a challenge but nothing overwhelming. If engineers can stabilize an oil platform in the harsh North Sea, I'm sure a solution can be figured out.

As for surf being flat, the details of the machine state they on purposely only have an energy conversion efficiency of 15%. This is to protect the machines from trying to absorb too powerful waves and to survive storms. So I think it will do fine with surf being flat. And one thing to point out, it's not trying to convert wave energy into electricity at the shoreline where the waves break, it just tries to convert energy out in the open with the oscillation of waves.

Comment

I really don't think surfing will be impacted as these machines can be deployed quite a distance out. Also, let's not forget, we're not surfing at every single part of our island coastline.
                                You take megawatts of energy out of the waves, that's got to have some kind of effect. As to what it affects, it probably depends on what directions the swells are going that day. At some time or another, no matter where you deploy it, the island(s) will end up in it's "shadow".

As for surf being flat,
                                I think you missed my point. Flat surf = no electricity, right? How dependable is wave power?

I'm not against it, I just have some hard questions up front.

Comment

Working...
                                X