Computer PSU Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer PSU Question

I have a PSU with an on/off switch. Is it wise to leave the PSU on or off ? I usually just turn it off. Especially since the MS Mouse stays powered on after the computer is off.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Computer PSU Question

As long as there's good surge protection and the room doesn't get real hot, it doesn't hurt to leave it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      I have a PSU with an on/off switch. Is it wise to leave the PSU on or off ? I usually just turn it off.
      First off what is a PSU?

Are you referring to the on/off switch that is on the back of tower computer?

I am also assuming you are referring to a computer running Windows as opposed to Macintosh or Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        First off what is a PSU?

Are you referring to the on/off switch that is on the back of tower computer?

I am also assuming you are referring to a computer running Windows as opposed to Macintosh or Linux?
        PSU= Power Supply Unit. The past two PSU's I had a on/off switch.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Computer PSUs are quite resilient to continuous usage. As someone mentioned above, so long as there is adequate surge protection (in Hawaii a surge protector that shields up to 1200 joules should be good enough) then you can leave your PSU on all the time. In fact, my computer stays on 24/7/365 except for restarts and when I go on vacation. This eats up more electricity but I'm off-and-on it so much that it would cost more for me to constantly shut it down and turn it back on.
          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

My home computer doesn't stay on 24/7. It stays on when ever I am home and not sleeping. However it does stay on if I take a short trip to get stuff or if I take a nap. A rule of thumb for me would be anytime I am away from home for more than 3 hours then the computer is shutdown, otherwise it stays on.

But I don't use the power switch in the back of the computer to leave it off.

Comment

I guess the annoying thing for me is if I leave the PSU on after I turn the computer off my MS Mouse stays on. The MS Mouse I have is the one without
              a ball inside.Plus I had this Compaq before that had its PSU die prematurely.So I try to baby any PSU's I have had after that.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

I use the PSU's on/off switch when the power button won't work and I need to shut off my computer.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  First off what is a PSU?
                  It's a PowerAde Sprite UnCola.

IMO, Don't worry about your PSU if it fails. It's an easier replacement than a hundred-gig-plus hard drive with all your data on it.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    IMO, Don't worry about your PSU if it fails. It's an easier replacement than a hundred-gig-plus hard drive with all your data on it.
                    Ummm I disagree. I had a PSU fail and it fried my Mobo, requiring me to buy whole new computer. I can install and HD, and most things on the computer.
                    The one thing I will not install on any of my computers is a PSU. I rather have someone else take the risk of frying the Mobo.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                      The one thing I will not install on any of my computers is a PSU. I rather have someone else take the risk of frying the Mobo.
                      Short of plugging the power supply into the wall first, it's really hard to fry a Mobo just changing the PSU. I think it's about the simplest and most fool-proof thing to change.

Comment

And there have been times when replacing the power supply really fixes the problem and other times the motherboard itself was the problem.

Comment

Easy to change...yes. The PS qualifies as probably the easiest...But it can cause damage to the motherboard, especially when the PS shorts, and /or tries unsuccessfully to filter a spike, or compensate for an under voltage event. I've seen them not only short the mombo, but the processor as well.

Then, unless you can find a replacement mombo with the same chipset, you may be stuck reloading all your apps, and recovering your favs, and other data: a real pain! Or buying a new PC. Not much you can do, except go with a decent PS to begin...imho, as important as UPS/Surge protection...

As for the switch on the PS unit, if you turn it off, it cuts off all power to the mombo. Whether you want that result depends on your own situation. there are some that say cycling a PS many times weakens it...I feel that if cycling weakens your PS...better get a well made PS to begin with. IMHO, its the most important component in a PC.

jock

Comment

Originally posted by mp3jockey View Post
                            Not much you can do, except go with a decent PS to begin...imho, as important as UPS/Surge protection...
                            Right. Picking a good PSU is the battle, not installing it.

Comment

So when the PC is shut down, and the PSU is on it draws power?

How'bout if i have the PC on a surge strip and on shutdown, power the surge strip off?
                              -kp!

Comment

Working...
                              X