Ready To Move, Where Should I Rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready To Move, Where Should I Rent?

I am finally ready to get to Oahu, but am unsure about which area to rent in. I will hopefully have my condo rented out here in Las Vegas by Sept 1, so I need to make plans.

Since I work in food and beverage management, I'd like to be in close proximity to resorts/restaurant/bar areas. Which area should I look in? I don't want a long commute, and am in need of a safe, decent place to rent.

Mahalo in advance for any advice!

Re: Ready To Move, Where Should I Rent?

The majority of the F&B jobs are in Honolulu in general and Waikiki in particular, but they also exist on the west side of the island and on the North Shore. There are also restaurants and bars on the Windward side and other parts of the island. I don't really know how to advise you at this point. Just as reference, I live in what I consider a safe building in a great location in the ewa (airport) end of Waikiki. It's walking distance to several resorts/restaurants/bars. However, the immediate neighborhood has some questionable, unsecured buildings with questionable (drug related) tenants. Studios in my building rent for approx. $1500./mo. But, that'd be one heckuva drive if you ended up working at the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore!!!

Comment

Thank you kindly, I will start out in the Honolulu/Waikiki area, then go from there after I get employed. I'm getting excited, and petrified at the same time! I should be there in about four weeks now

Comment

Like Aunty Tutusue said, the majority of food & beverage is locatted in the Waikiki/Ala Moana area. I'd look around Waikiki/Ala Moana area first, then work my way outside of there for places to live. I suspect the furthest you'll wanna be is probably the University/Moillili area. It is really still in walking distance to Waikiki central.

A lot has to do with how much you wanna spend a month too. Keep in mind, homeowners are like most business owners on Oahu,totally consummed by "price gouging". That was one of the reasons I left Honolulu last Jan. I was constantly being told I had a nice house. I lived off of Kapahulu Ave in a two bedrm, one bath house(700sq ft). I paid $1500.00 a month plus utilities. Don't get me wrong, it was good by Honolulu standards, but I was left with an empty feeling each month. With nothing to show for, but a piece of paper that I could use to start my barbeque, or wipe my backend.

Of all the islands, why Oahu?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
          Like Aunty Tutusue said, the majority of food & beverage is locatted in the Waikiki/Ala Moana area. I'd look around Waikiki/Ala Moana area first, then work my way outside of there for places to live. I suspect the furthest you'll wanna be is probably the University/Moillili area. It is really still in walking distance to Waikiki central.

A lot has to do with how much you wanna spend a month too. Keep in mind, homeowners are like most business owners on Oahu,totally consummed by "price gouging". That was one of the reasons I left Honolulu last Jan. I was constantly being told I had a nice house. I lived off of Kapahulu Ave in a two bedrm, one bath house(700sq ft). I paid $1500.00 a month plus utilities. Don't get me wrong, it was good by Honolulu standards, but I was left with an empty feeling each month. With nothing to show for, but a piece of paper that I could use to start my barbeque, or wipe my backend.

Of all the islands, why Oahu?
          why, indeed? there must be a reason oahu is the most popuated.

Comment

If you are already planning to move and you have a ticket in your hand, I might suggest maybe already Applying and setting interviews for around the time you arrive so that you have some idea as to where your work may take you, and then you have a way to gauge where you need to live

Comment

Is Liliha Street close? I've found a temp room that looks nice and safe on that street. The other possibility is located "close to Sam's Club and Costco's", but doesn't name the specific street. I now have three weeks to be out of my condo, so I can hand the keys over to my new tenant

I chose Oahu for the jobs in the tourist industry. I did send out some resumes, but in this business, they want to meet you in person, and grill you about your knowlege, experience, etc., which I truly understand. I used to get resumes from all over the US, but if I couldn't interview them in person, I'd interview someone who was already in Las Vegas. So, I can wait.

If I don't get hired in the f&b management area, I'm always willing to learn another business. I have also managed retail, and enjoyed it, and working to see that the tourists have a great experience when visiting.

I am quite overwhelmed right now, and this place is now in utter chaos! I never knew I owned so much "stuff"! It's hard to decide what to take, what to donate, what to sell in this weekend's moving sale. (college textbooks from 1992?)

Mahalo for the advice! I tried to call Matson and ask them how long it takes to get the car over there, but they were closed on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
                Is Liliha Street close? I've found a temp room that looks nice and safe on that street. The other possibility is located "close to Sam's Club and Costco's", but doesn't name the specific street.
                Liliha Street is only 1/2 hour - 45 mins away from waikiki by bus, and it is a direct line. by car, it's about half that time, depending on traffic. liliha street is an old neighborhood--mostly families, many of whom have lived there for generations, if i am not mistaken. there are two hospitals on that street (okay, one is ON that street, and the other is just off it by about a block) and several neighborhood hole-in-the wall type restaurants, including the much loved 24 hour liliha bakery. liliha bakery is known for its cocoa puffs, but they're a diner, too. my faves there are the country scramble (your choice of breakfast meats plus onions and tomatoes if you want, scrambled together), the sweet bread french toast, and the loco moco (you can do a search for loco moco on here--i know there must be a description and i'm sure someone posted a pic, too).

'close to sam's club and costco' could mean a lot of things. we can help you better if we get cross streets.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The ad didn't mention cross streets. Here is the link that she sent me:
                  http://www.patleung.homestead.com/1.html

They look clean and secure enough, for starters. I had emailed her, and I was so surprised when she called me! She sounded quite nice on the phone, and wanted to know all about me. I will ring her up again on Monday, I hope they're still open.

The hole-in-the-wall diners sound great! Love those places! There aren't any like that here, so I look forward to trying them out!

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
                    The ad didn't mention cross streets. Here is the link that she sent me:
                    http://www.patleung.homestead.com/1.html

They look clean and secure enough, for starters. I had emailed her, and I was so surprised when she called me! She sounded quite nice on the phone, and wanted to know all about me. I will ring her up again on Monday, I hope they're still open.

The hole-in-the-wall diners sound great! Love those places! There aren't any like that here, so I look forward to trying them out!
                    i could be wrong, but those pics look like the apartment is in salt lake. salt lake is sorta a condo-suburbia on the west edge of honolulu. most people who live on oahu wouldn't consider salt lake as being part of honolulu but being outside it. in rush hour traffic, it's 45 minutes away from the closest edge of waikiki, maybe more. i don't think there's a direct bus line from salt lake to waikiki-you'll have to transfer somewhere downtown.

i have a couple of friends who live in salt lake. fyi, there are gang-related shootings in the neighborhood. every month or so, one of my friends wakes up to the sounds of a car crash in the wee hours of the morning--usually a drunk driver hitting one of the multitudinous cars parked on the street. maybe if you google earth likini street or ala napunani street, honolulu, hawaii 96818 you'll get an idea of what the neighborhood looks like.

you can also google earth liliha street, honolulu, 96817.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                      i could be wrong, but those pics look like the apartment is in salt lake. salt lake is sorta a condo-suburbia on the west edge of honolulu. most people who live on oahu wouldn't consider salt lake as being part of honolulu but being outside it. in rush hour traffic, it's 45 minutes away from the closest edge of waikiki, maybe more. i don't think there's a direct bus line from salt lake to waikiki-you'll have to transfer somewhere downtown.

i have a couple of friends who live in salt lake. fyi, there are gang-related shootings in the neighborhood. every month or so, one of my friends wakes up to the sounds of a car crash in the wee hours of the morning--usually a drunk driver hitting one of the multitudinous cars parked on the street. maybe if you google earth likini street or ala napunani street, honolulu, hawaii 96818 you'll get an idea of what the neighborhood looks like.

you can also google earth liliha street, honolulu, 96817.
                      I thought it was just ME when I looked at the pictures and couldn't even recognize Liliha! I agree, it's not Liliha, but Salt Lake and more towards the "Lakeside" buildings which is an undesirable area for SL.
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                        most people who live on oahu wouldn't consider salt lake as being part of honolulu but being outside it.
                        "Most people" should know that, technically, the ENTIRE island of Oahu is part of the City and County of Honolulu.

Also, the Liliha pictures are BELOW the Salt Lake pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                          "Most people" should know that, technically, the ENTIRE island of Oahu is part of the City and County of Honolulu.

Also, the Liliha pictures are BELOW the Salt Lake pictures.
                          I realized that after the post.
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

99% sure that that place will still be open. As somebody who always seems to be looking at ads (me), I will tell you that that Patleung homestead listing is ALWAYS and has always been listed on Craigslist. Sometimes every day they post that. I dont' know whether that is good or bad, but my theory is that the best places go fast and aren't always available. Their ad seems "harsh" IMO (...after you call me etc. etc.). I had considered contacting them a few years ago, but I didn't think a year lease for a "rooming type" house was best for me. I never went to see it to be honest, so I cannot vouch for the truthfulness in the photos.

If you can get a short term "lease" there then that might be better as there are lots of shared rentals here so it's easier to find something after you've arrived. But you will find many unwilling to rent to somebody who is not even here yet as they've been burned by mainlanders promising to arrive and not showing up.

edited to say: I have NO first hand knowledge of that place. Never contacted them and know nobody who has lived there.

ps. the #3 goes from Salt Llake (ala ilima?) all the way to waikiki. It goes partly on the freeway.
                            Last edited by Kaukura; August 12, 2007, 03:04 PM.
                            n'importe

Comment

Not all of Salt Lake is bad. Usually when folks say Salt Lake, they refer to the area as a whole, but Salt Lake really consists of 2 areas: Lakeside and Salt Lake.

Lakeside is the newer area on the the Honolulu Country Club side of Salt Lake, on Likini and Ala Napunani streets and beyond. Salt Lake usually refers to the older areas nearer the shopping center, the more congested Ala Ilima and Ala Lilikoi streets and ewa areas.

Remember...Lakeside is ok, Salt Lake iffy.

Comment

Working...
                              X