Ready To Move, Where Should I Rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ready To Move, Where Should I Rent?

Well, I called that lady today, and she just said "call me when you get here". I didn't realize it was a definite year lease, tho. I thought there was a "month to month" mention somewhere.

Aw, well...I did find a rather cheap hotel I can start out in...called the Royal Grove. It should work, to land in. I'll make my reservations before I go, then go looking around. You are all so nice and helpful, and I appreciate it

I sure am nervous

Comment

Originally posted by Hope View Post
      [...]Aw, well...I did find a rather cheap hotel I can start out in...called the Royal Grove.[...]
      Have to admit I've not heard of that hotel 'til now so I checked it out at this site. Please update us about it once you're here.

Comment

Perfect! It will do! Thanks, tutusue, for the read! I was googling cheap hotels in Honolulu...or was it Waikiki...when I came across this one. I also like the fact that it's family owned.

Comment

You can also try this place. The Plumeria ( www.alohainns.com ) . We have a guy at work who stayed here a few months ago. He said he paid $218 a week for a room that included air conditioning and was furnished. Shared kitchen and bathroom. Only about 5 blocks or so north of Ala Moana center.

Also there is a the very pretty YWCA downtown on Richards St . They may have rooms.
          Last edited by Kaukura; August 12, 2007, 11:10 PM.
          n'importe

Comment

Perfect! It will do! Thanks, tutusue, for the read! I was googling cheap hotels in Honolulu...or was it Waikiki...when I came across this one. I also like the fact that it's family owned.
            I, too, like the idea of family owned. However, with those low, low rates the question becomes...what kinda clientele does that hotel attract? If it's seasoned, quiet travelers who are frugal...great. If it's younger partiers on a strict budget...well...you get the idea! Then, there's always the hourly rate element! You won't know 'til you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
              Not all of Salt Lake is bad. Usually when folks say Salt Lake, they refer to the area as a whole, but Salt Lake really consists of 2 areas: Lakeside and Salt Lake.

Lakeside is the newer area on the the Honolulu Country Club side of Salt Lake, on Likini and Ala Napunani streets and beyond. Salt Lake usually refers to the older areas nearer the shopping center, the more congested Ala Ilima and Ala Lilikoi streets and ewa areas.

Remember...Lakeside is ok, Salt Lake iffy.
              When I refer to the Salt Lake District, it's everything between Salt Lake Blvd. and Moanalua Freeway. And, when I referred to "LAKESIDE" buildings, it bears the name, LAKESIDE on it and it's located no where near the Honolulu Country Club, but is still closer to the shopping center.
              ___
              "Be god to each other."

Comment

I also like the fact that it's family owned.
                That can go either way. Some families are very "tight" and won't spend anything they don't have to. And, it's quite possible they don't have the cash to do the needed repairs. We recently had a stairway fall off a "low rent" building. I believe that was an individual landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                  When I refer to the Salt Lake District, it's everything between Salt Lake Blvd. and Moanalua Freeway. And, when I referred to "LAKESIDE" buildings, it bears the name, LAKESIDE on it and it's located no where near the Honolulu Country Club, but is still closer to the shopping center.
                  Lakeside isn't just the name of the building, it's the area on/around the country club side of Salt Lake. The Lakeside building is on Ala Ilima street, which is the rough area of Salt Lake. When folks refer to Lakeside, it's not the building, it's the area.
                  Last edited by ploal5333; August 13, 2007, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Lakeside isn't just the name of the building, it's the area on/around the country club side of Salt Lake. The Lakeside building is on Ala Ilima street, which is the rough area of Salt Lake. When folks refer to Lakeside, it's not the building, it's the area.
                    My orignal post corresponded with pictures that looked like the area near the building bearing the name Lakeside commonly referred to as the "rough side of Salt Lake."

If homeowners and community members prefer to refer to their area as lakeside using your definition, that's fine. But, in different circles, rougher circles (but not squares ), Lakeside is not "the area on/around the country club side of Salt Lake". And, I'd rather advise someone based on both facts.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                      My orignal post corresponded with pictures that looked like the area near the building bearing the name Lakeside commonly referred to as the "rough side of Salt Lake."

If homeowners and community members prefer to refer to their area as lakeside using your definition, that's fine. But, in different circles, rougher circles (but not squares ), Lakeside is not "the area on/around the country club side of Salt Lake". And, I'd rather advise someone based on both facts.
                      You should have clarified yourself and said 'Lakeside complex', not 'Lakeside buildings'. Buildings could be many different condos in the Lakeside area.

And who cares what the rougher circles are referring to when they say 'Lakeside'? Most normal good folks think of Lakeside as being the good side of Salt Lake. We don't associate with rough folks.

Comment

You should have clarified yourself and said 'Lakeside complex', not 'Lakeside buildings'. Buildings could be many different condos in the Lakeside area.

And who cares what the rougher circles are referring to when they say 'Lakeside'? Most normal good folks think of Lakeside as being the good side of Salt Lake. We don't associate with rough folks.
                        Who cares?! Perhaps the author of this thread!

As I said in my previous post, I'd rather give both FACTS.

Sorry to hear that you don't associate with rough folks, it's the reason I joined HT!
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

You can also try this place. The Plumeria ( www.alohainns.com ) . We have a guy at work who stayed here a few months ago. He said he paid $218 a week for a room that included air conditioning and was furnished. Shared kitchen and bathroom. Only about 5 blocks or so north of Ala Moana center.
                          Is this a fairly safe area for a single lady to be in? This doesn't look too bad, I think I'll call them and get some info. I now have a tentative arrival of Sept. 5th, but I'm still working on the details.

I may even get the opportunity for an interview! My resume is in the right hands for the possibility.

Comment

I live in the Makiki area. I sometimes come home after dark & have to walk about 2 blocks from the bus stop. I feel safe - as in I'm not going to get pulled into the bushes & attacked. How exactly do you define "safe"? I know for myself, I feel much safer here than I would just about anyplace on the continent.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                              "Most people" should know that, technically, the ENTIRE island of Oahu is part of the City and County of Honolulu.
                              PJ, you are like the old cantankerous geez who is mostly silent except for those moments you feel compelled to scold someone or otherwise make some sort of irascible exhortation. i love it!

when you say that the entire island of oahu is part of the C&C of honolulu, did you implicitly mean to point out that the little islands like chinaman's hat or rabbit island or coconut island are the other parts of the C&C as well? correct me if i'm wrong, but none of the other major islands of the hawaiian chain are "part" of the C&C.

hope says she doesn't want to have a long commute, and by her posts, i think it's clear she wants to live near waikiki. do you think she should consider living on molokai or maui or kauai, which really are "near" the "city and county" of honolulu...except for the water in between, that is?
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X