Local news in HD anytime soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local news in HD anytime soon...

Perhaps someone can speculate or shed some light on this for me...

Right now there are a handful of stations on the mainland that have HD newscasts. Are any stations here in the islands planning to roll out HD news in the near future? If not, which station would you like to see go HD first?

Re: Local news in HD anytime soon...

Originally posted by l14dap View Post
    Perhaps someone can speculate or shed some light on this for me...

Right now there are a handful of stations on the mainland that have HD newscasts. Are any stations here in the islands planning to roll out HD news in the near future? If not, which station would you like to see go HD first?
    I haven't heard of any plans for any of the local news to go HD in the near future. On the other hand, both KHON and KGMB have new owners now, and neither has announced much of anything yet, though KGMB is rumored to be rolling out its HD feed to Oceanic in time for the upcoming NFL season.

As for which news I'd like to see first, I'd have to vote for KGMB since it's the only local news I ever watch.
    No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Some shows are coming through in HD already. (LOST, HEROES, ETC) It shouldn't be that hard to make the news HD.

Comment

With KGMB launching their morning newscasts and expanding their news staff... I too want KGMB to be the first in broadcasting local news in HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
          It shouldn't be that hard to make the news HD.
          Not hard, just $$$$. Seeing as how some stations have already gone digital in their news rooms (much to the amusement of their competitors) I have to wonder if they'll be the first to go HD. Is their setup HD capable, or is that the "next generation" digital leaving the current analog users to become the first HD news stations? They'd have to upgrade their cameras, microwave links and editing bays.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Not hard, just $$$$. Seeing as how some stations have already gone digital in their news rooms (much to the amusement of their competitors) I have to wonder if they'll be the first to go HD. Is their setup HD capable, or is that the "next generation" digital leaving the current analog users to become the first HD news stations? They'd have to upgrade their cameras, microwave links and editing bays.
            You're right. It costs $$$$ to transition to HD news since plenty of equipment needs to be upgraded in addition to new graphics and possibly a new set (most current sets would look WAY too small in HD).

As for which station's news should go HD first, my vote is also for KGMB! Just as long as it isn't KHON. I don't think I"d want to see Joe Moore in HD, although there is Trini and Tannya...

Comment

Most of the "smaller" market stations that are doing HD newscast are only at first doing the studio. Some upgrade the graphics, some upconvert.
              Some do widescreen SD remote cams, some ad logo bars on remote shots.

Other than the cost of studio cams, HD capable switchers at the master control and HD servers are the only true cost.

KITV has HD capable graphics and servers.
              KHON has HD switchers, server is due online by Sept.
              KGMB has a new server due by Sept., looking for new location.
              KHNL/KFVE is moving to new location, has servers.
              Last edited by Ninja; July 31, 2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

But to go "all in," a news operation needs money for HD ENG cameras, HD monitors, HD vectorscopes & waveforms, HD live truck, HD decks, HD CG, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                  KHNL/KFVE is moving to new location, has servers.
                  ooh, where?
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

[...]KGMB has a new server due by Sept., looking for new location.[...]
                    How many decades have they been in their Kapiolani Blvd. location?! I wonder if Anita is still the receptionist! IIRC, she's ('d?) been there since day 1. Such a nice lady; truly the voice of KGMB.

Comment

Anita is still alive, well & on duty at the reception desk!!

Comment

KGMB on Kapiolani

Know that the 1st TV broadcast was in 1952, but the radio station was there on the site before then. Not sure when that first started. Yes, it's always nice to see Anita there. She's really a part of that station. Same goes for Lydia at the front desk at KITV.

I've heard that KGMB has already upgraded it's cameras in the news department and are HD-ready. Can someone in the know confirm?

Comment

KGMB is going with the Panasonic AG-HPX500, the P-2 HD Camcorder. It has four card slots, four independent audio channels and variable frame rates.
                          Or so I've "heard."

Comment

Re: KGMB on Kapiolani

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                            Anita is still alive, well & on duty at the reception desk!!
                            Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                            Know that the 1st TV broadcast was in 1952, but the radio station was there on the site before then. Not sure when that first started. Yes, it's always nice to see Anita there. She's really a part of that station.[...]
                            That's great about Anita altho' she couldn't possibly have been there from day 1.

Comment

KGMB has a new server due by Sept., looking for new location.
                              It will be interesting to see where KGMB moves their transmitter. It's not in a very good location. (Well, it great for me, but not for the island). I'm sure the nearby residents will be very happy to see them move.

Guess I should plan on shooting some photos of it before it's abandoned and torn down.

Comment

Working...
                              X