Microsoft Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Works

Remember Microsoft Works? That low-end, incompatible-with-MS-Office, piece-of-$#^! software that came pre-installed on your PC along with all the adware? Well, Microsoft is finally planning to cut it loose and turn it into freeware. (Sort of. Speculation is that Microsoft may retool it into an online app, to compete with Google Docs.)

If it were just me, I really wouldn't pay attention to this at all. I use OpenOffice whenever I can, and MS Office when I must. I haven't touched MS Works in years.

But for many of my not-as-computer-savvy extended family members, MS Works is practically the only program they know how to use (well, that, and Internet Explorer ) -- and they've got a whole lot of personally important documents written in the MS Works word processor, and irreplaceable family kitchen recipes stored in MS Works databases. If MS Works changes radically, I can foresee a whole lot of family tech support and file conversion drudgery in my future.

Re: Microsoft Works

I've used MSW 3.0 since 1992...and love it!!! It's really all I need as my computer needs are minimal. My talent data base is in Works. That data base was changed in the 4.0 version and it didn't work out for my needs...so I stayed in 3.0. 3.0 isn't compatible with OS X...so I STILL toggle back and forth between 9 and X!!!

Stop laughing!

Comment

Yep, I have a copy of MS Works for the Mac but haven't used it since System 7.6 days. I suspect Works 3.0 worked all the way until Mac OS9. You're ok with MS Works as long as your Mac is a Power PC model. The newer Intel Macs don't support Mac OS9 at all, not even in classic mode within OSX.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Yep, I have a copy of MS Works for the Mac but haven't used it since System 7.6 days. I suspect Works 3.0 worked all the way until Mac OS9. You're ok with MS Works as long as your Mac is a Power PC model. The newer Intel Macs don't support Mac OS9 at all, not even in classic mode within OSX.
        Yep! Planned obsolescence...<sigh>
        Actually, Works works <g> in 9.2.

Comment

Microsoft Works... isn't that an oxymoron?
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Oddly enough, it's what I also have on my home computer, since I only needed bare-bones word processing for a long time.

But I have a copy of Office Professional 2007 sitting close at hand, just waiting for me to break the seal and install it - soon...mostly because I really need Excel now.

Comment

I haven't used Microsoft Works for years. When they mean ad-funded am I to assume that while using the product ads from other vendors will appear?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                When they mean ad-funded am I to assume that while using the product ads from other vendors will appear?
                I dunno - that's never happened to me.

Comment

AppleWorks and AbiWord have served me well in the past.

Comment

The biggest issue I have with Works is it's incompatibility with Office which is the standard for business. As such, OpenOffice is a better choice unless one never expects to have to deal with a emailed DOC or XLS file.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      I dunno - that's never happened to me.
                      Please ignore this post - just opened other eye and realized that helen was referring to the future "SE" version of Works - not any previous one.
                      Duh.

Comment

I use Office and Works, but always end up saving the Works file as a Word document so I can email it abroad. But I like the user friendly Works for simple resumes and projects.
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

According to this article Microsoft is considering two versions. One you pay that you install on your computer and the free one (which is what started this thread) which is a web service that is still up in the air.

Comment

Working...
                          X