Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im Going To Court On My Own Tomorrow! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im Going To Court On My Own Tomorrow! Help!

Title Change (typo): IM GOING TO COURT ON MY OWN TOMORROW!

So a couple weeks back i got a trespassing violation at the public baseball park at Salt Lake by Foster village

My friends girlfriend ran off and she didnt want to come home with him. She was being stubborn and didnt want to leave with anyone; I wanted to take her home so at least i knew she was safe. She wanted us to just leave her at the park and just go home. As a guy, and a good guy, you cant really just leave a woman out in the cold no matter how much you hate them.

I told her stuff like "do you wanna get raped by other people who actually use this park for drugs and drinking?" and tried to convince her to go home. I couldnt just leave her, she just turned 18. Didnt want her to get hurt

Soon enough, my talking didnt work, the police came and we all got trespassing violations. Great. We just wanted to bring the girl home; no drugs/alcohol/raping nothing.

My court date is tomorrow and I have no idea what to do. If anyone is familiar with the court system, i just need help on what to say or do. Like, can I go to prison? What do I plea.

Please. Im in desperate need of help...Im going to college soon and the last thing I want is to get stuck in jail for some violation I didnt intend to do.
    Last edited by PBatoon; August 2, 2007, 06:47 PM. Reason: title typo
    I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Re: Im Going To Court On My Own Tomorrow! Help!!

You'll be fine. Just dress nicely, speak respectfully, and tell the judge what happened. You're not going to prison.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yep...what Scrivener said. Just tell the judge what you told us. As long as it's the truth you should be fine.

Comment

I am no lawyer and aside from one speeding violation in another state, I have no experience with the criminal court system.

That being said what you should have done was to post this message here a day or two after the incident rather than the day before you had to appear in court because my advice would have been to contact someone in the public defender's office to see what advice they can offer you.

Comment

hrrmm, why would he need a public defender? if he did need one, wouldn't one have been offered to him at the time of being charged?

oh and i don't think they offer advice either, unless you are going to be a client.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            I am no lawyer and aside from one speeding violation in another state, I have no experience with the criminal court system.

That being said what you should have done was to post this message here a day or two after the incident rather than the day before you had to appear in court because my advice would have been to contact someone in the public defender's office to see what advice they can offer you.
            I did contact the police department and they just said that the Public Defender will walk me through to what I want to do. Mmm after the public defender says whatever about me, its just me & the judge and he makes his decision.

Based on character. So hopefully im ok.

Comment

Hmmm, well he did get ticketed but he didn't get arrested.

I really have no advice on the plea, like not guilty or no contest, that would be something left to a lawyer to better answer it.

Comment

A "no contest" pleading will almost certainly result in the judge finding you "guilty" as you are saying that you do not contest the charge.

Comment

I'm not a PD, but a plea of "no contest" doesn't necessarily mean a guilty judgment. What time is your hearing? If you can, try to get there at least a little early and find your PD. Now, likely the poor PD has a crateload of cases other than yours to deal with that day as well but if you can talk to her or him before hand and get your questions answered and get an idea of the process, that's a good start. They may offer you a DANC (deferred acceptance of no contest) or a DAG (deferred acceptance of guilty). As we joke, every dog gets one free bite, every person gets one free DANC or one free DAG (unless you seriously maim or kill someone). The "deferred acceptance" part usually means that the courts will suspend any penalty/sentence and if you stay out of trouble for a certain period of time (like 5 years), then the whole thing is expunged from your record but if you do get convicted of something during that time period, then the whole penalty/sentence comes down on your head. It's up to you in consultation with your PD how you want to plead (not guilt, guilty, try for a DANC, try for a DAG). You should know, too, that the judge is not bound to accept any plea bargain you might make but the judges usually do accept them.

Good luck! Tell the truth and hopefully nothing will come from the hearing tomorrow

eta:

Which court are you going to? This link has some helpful information not specific to your trespassing case but may be handy:

on the location and parking for the courts

http://www.courts.state.hi.us/page_s...9A82B5A46.html

This has some helpful information on the set up of the court rooms

http://www.courts.state.hi.us/page_s...AB893AE88.html

General tips on going to court

http://www.courts.state.hi.us/page_s...15195D2D7.html
                  Last edited by Adri; August 2, 2007, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I did say ALMOST certainly a "guilty" finding, not ALWAYS. And it's possible to get a "deferred acceptance of plea."

What I'd like to have explained is how does one get cited for "trespassing" in a "PUBLIC" park? Is there a stated "closing hour" that you violated?

Good luck with your day in court. Let us know what happens .........
                    Last edited by oceanpacific; August 2, 2007, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Honesty and sincerity, along with a respectful tone go a long way with most judges, just as they do with most humans. I think you'll do just fine. Please do post to us when you have time, and give us a report. Bless ya~
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

there was a closing hour for the public park. but my friends girlfriend was being stubborn and ran off to that place. ugh shes so stupid, but you know, you cant leave a lady all alone.

seriously. all i did was to want to get the F#ck home and get her home safely back in Kapolei.

Why do bad things always happen to good guys? Wish me luck guys. and thanks

Comment

Re: Im Going To Court On My Own Tomorrow! Help!

If this is your first appearance in court on this charge there will be no hearing, simply a guilty or not guilty plea in front of the judge. You will plead "not guilty" The judge will then most likely refer you to a public defender at that time. Your trial will also be scheduled for some time in the future, probably like two months from now.

Wear a nice pair of pants and a collared shirt and address the judge as "your honor" every single time you open your mouth.

Good luck.

Comment

DISCLAIMER: Not an attorney or legal expert at all, just some experience in the Court system supporting others.

If this is your first court date following a trespass warning, this is probably your "arraignment", if you're not guilt, plead "not guilty" and then a PD will be appointed.

However, if your charge is "trespassing" it's difficult for you to say that you weren't when technically you were on the premises after the posted hours. And so, as recommended you would try for a deffered sentencing.

I believe if you go with a right heart, you will prevail. As everyone else has said, dress, attitude, and composure speaks volumes.

Best of luck.

Sorry, no advice as to why things happen to "good guys", except to say that it lies in the choices that we make, consequences that is.

NEENZ.
                            ___
                            "Be god to each other."

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, I don't play on on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn this week.

But it sticks in my mind there's something like a "no contest with explanation".

You're not trying to challenge the fact that you are technically in violation of the law, but you get a chance to explain the situation. And in this case, you do want to explain! That may go better with the judge then a "not guilty" which sets up for a battle to prove you were in the part, what time it was, blah, blah, blah and takes up the court's time.

Comment

Working...
                              X