Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im Going To Court On My Own Tomorrow! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Im Going To Court On My Own Tomorrow! Help!

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    However, if your charge is "trespassing" it's difficult for you to say that you weren't when technically you were on the premises after the posted hours. And so, as recommended you would try for a deffered sentencing.
    What he said. You were trespassing, albeit with extenuating circumstances.

You say "we all got trespassing violations." That'd be you, the stubborn girlfriend, and other people as well? When are their court dates? Anyone planning on showing up for each others' appearances?

Comment

Re: Im Going To Court On My Own Tomorrow! Help!!

Originally posted by helen View Post
      aside from one speeding violation in another state
      Helen - you crazy rebel, you!!!

Admit it. You were testing out one of your rocket engines that day, weren't you?

Comment

So howd it go? What happened? Do tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Babooze View Post
          So howd it go? What happened? Do tell.
          Been checking this thread too to see if we get an update! Enquiring minds do want to know, especially if our advice helped some!
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Court stories:

This was for traffic violations. Everyone who pleaded "no contest" was found guilty. In fact, that day was almost perfect for the prosecutor. My case was dismissed by the judge: he said that the prosecutor had no "prima facia" case.

One other guy lucked out as the prosecutor failed to subpoena the police officer and asked for a continuance. However, the prosecutor had previously received a continuance on this case, so the judge was explained to the defendant that the case could be continued if he (the defendant) agreed to it. Otherwise, the judge would dismiss the case as the prosecutor had already been given one continuance.

The defendant didn't catch on and growled to the judge that he had things he wanted to say about the ticket received. Macho bravo, but stupid. The judge called for a 10-minute recess and several of us collared the guy in the corridor to tell him he had it made. Don't agree to the continuance, the judge was giving him the out.

Upon resumption, he was less combative and asked for a dismissal on the grounds that he shouldn't be inconvenienced any further as he taken another day off from work to go to court, etc. We were the only two who got away that day.

Remember the VAN CAM? Half the people there were on speeding tickets and cheered when the judge informed them he would be following the precedence established by his colleague and dismissing all cases which were 10 mph or less over the speed limit. The court had previously dismissed my case, which was 8 mph over, on different grounds, but had not time to inform me by mail that it had been dismissed.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
              Everyone who pleaded "no contest" was found guilty.
              If they pled nolo contendere, they might still be penalized in full, but that's not the same as being "found guilty," in the eyes of the law. You only get a "guilty" verdict if (a) you plead such, or (b) are found so after trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                If they pled nolo contendere, they might still be penalized in full, but that's not the same as being "found guilty," in the eyes of the law. You only get a "guilty" verdict if (a) you plead such, or (b) are found so after trial.
                They all got fined and assessed traffic points. Lower fines and less points for those with "clean" prior abstracts. The judge's words: In view of your plea of nolo contendere, I find you guilty of the violation as stated by the complaining officer. Or words to that effect. Once, I received two points, but no fine for speeding, while other speeders got three points, a $75 fine, and traffic school.

Comment

At the risk of thread jacking ................... Every time I have been in court, traffic and otherwise ( What can I say , I had a bad run for a few years in my misspent youth ) I have been instructed that "a no contest plea will be treated the same as a guilty plea". Always made me wonder why anyone should even bother with a "no contest".

Comment

"No contest" is often considered preferable to pleading "guilty" if there is a possibility that there may be civil action in addition to the criminal action. For example, if John runs a red light and hits another car, he may wish to plead "no contest" if he really did run the red light and knows the prosecutor has solid evidence proving that because if John pleads guilty or is found to be guilty by the judge or jury, his admission of guilt or finding of guilt may be used against him if the injured person in the car he hit sues John for causing the injuries. Pleading no contest means John is not admitting he's guilty, just that he won't try to refute the charges. If the no contest plea is accepted, then there is no official finding of guilt as well even if the penalties are the same as if John were found guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                      "No contest" is often considered preferable to pleading "guilty" if there is a possibility that there may be civil action in addition to the criminal action. --- If the no contest plea is accepted, then there is no official finding of guilt as well even if the penalties are the same as if John were found guilty.
                      Well summarized, counsellor!

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                        "No contest" is often considered preferable to pleading "guilty" if there is a possibility that there may be civil action in addition to the criminal action. For example, if John runs a red light and hits another car, he may wish to plead "no contest" if he really did run the red light and knows the prosecutor has solid evidence proving that because if John pleads guilty or is found to be guilty by the judge or jury, his admission of guilt or finding of guilt may be used against him if the injured person in the car he hit sues John for causing the injuries. Pleading no contest means John is not admitting he's guilty, just that he won't try to refute the charges. If the no contest plea is accepted, then there is no official finding of guilt as well even if the penalties are the same as if John were found guilty.
                        Wow that sucks... for someone. But yeah that's how I interpreted the "no contest" plea too.

When I was the OP's age I was in a similar predicament. I ended up pleading "guilty with explanation". The judge heard me out and was nice enough to give me the deferred acceptance of guilty plea deal. A year later, when the time was up, I got all the documents, even my mug shot and fingerprints in the mail for me to do whatever I wanted with them... and record wiped clean. Clean record since then (twenty something years ago)... never wanted to go throw that crap again.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                          Never wanted to go throw that crap again.
                          What was the charge? Vandalism or assault?
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            What was the charge? Vandalism or assault?
                            Disorderly Conduct. Breaking up a fight between my friend and some other drunk person. Then got in trouble for defending myself from other drunk person's drunk friend.

Comment

Sorry, Cezanne. I was teasing you and you didn't get it. I was making fun of the way that was written: "throw that crap again." Ugh. See, I'm writing this paper, and I'm taking frequent breaks for HT and, oh, never mind. Just, you know. Sorry. I wasn't communicating well, and it was a dumb thing to write anyway.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                Sorry, Cezanne. I was teasing you and you didn't get it. I was making fun of the way that was written: "throw that crap again." Ugh. See, I'm writing this paper, and I'm taking frequent breaks for HT and, oh, never mind. Just, you know. Sorry. I wasn't communicating well, and it was a dumb thing to write anyway.
                                Haha I didn't even notice the typo. Nah no probs.

Comment

Working...
                                X