Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Grocery Shopping.

  1. #1

    Default Grocery Shopping.

    I wasn't quite sure if this fit into the KAU KAU CORNER because it's more consumerism rather than delightful eats!

    We're on our way to do the beginning of the month grocery shopping, NOE has scoured the sales ads so our list consists of SKYSON, LONGS, SAFEWAY and quite possibly FOODLAND. Each time we do our "big" shopping, I cringe at the total price because I recall the days in Houston, Texas of (20) oranges for a $1, and a gallon of milk on sale for $1.99, and tax free food, and well you get the picture. And, this was only a few years ago.

    But, would I move from my home, Hawaii, to have better prices on food in another State? No.

    Who's on your grocery list?
    ___
    "Be god to each other."


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    [...]Who's on your grocery list?
    Denzel Washington...yummmmmm!

    Seriously, with my recent move to the ewa end of Waikiki, both Food Pantry and ABC Store are within a very short walk. I was surprised to find that, for many of the items on my regular grocery list, both stores are not that much pricier than Safeway, which is my usual town shop stop. With gas factored in it probably evens out. Now I shop at Safeway only when I pick up a prescription. When in Makaha it's Tamura's...always! Gotta be one of the least expensive grocery stores on the island.

    If I still had kids at home I'd shop more like you do. I do grocery shop at Costco, but it's limited because of bulk buying. Too much waste and not enough storage for a one person household!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,518

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    P.K. and I go Grocery Shopping every two weeks.

    Times Liliha, Safeway (Beretania), Longs Pali, and Food Land (Dillingham).

    I also go with my daughter to the Navy Commissary.

    Longs Pali is a favorite of mine...I'm there x4+ a week!

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    with my recent move to the ewa end of Waikiki, both Food Pantry and ABC Store are within a very short walk. I was surprised to find that, for many of the items on my regular grocery list, both stores are not that much pricier than Safeway, which is my usual town shop stop.
    I used to live in the Kalia, which was right across the street of that Hobron Lane Food Pantry. I love the layout, selection and fair prices there. It's a "cute" grocery store. Even if you look at their ads today, sometimes for some reason Foodland (who owns FP) prices certain items at FP lower than at Foodland. Weird. But nice for us Waikikians!

    I mentioned this before, but when I used to live in a beach house out Kualoa side, my "grocery shopping" was often done at the Kaa'awa 7-11.

    I'm so looking forward to the new Safeway Supercenter on Kapahulu ave. to open. That's going to likely be my place, as it's along a good drive-line from my place in Waikiki. I can't stand the Foodland in Market City. Not enough parking and the store is often overcrowded.

    In Hawaii Kai, it's Costco for bulk non-perishable stuff and impulse shopping (damned Costco). Safeway in Hawaii Kai Shopping Center for meats and frozen items. Their freezer section is the best. So is their deli. Costco's ice cream selection sucks. Safeway's rules. The Koko Marina Foodland is rather out of the way from our house.

    My usual stop on my way home from work is the Ward Marukai Market. I love Japanese food.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    I used to live in the Kalia, which was right across the street of that Hobron Lane Food Pantry. I love the layout, selection and fair prices there. It's a "cute" grocery store. Even if you look at their ads today, sometimes for some reason Foodland (who owns FP) prices certain items at FP lower than at Foodland. Weird. But nice for us Waikikians!

    I mentioned this before, but when I used to live in a beach house out Kualoa side, my "grocery shopping" was often done at the Kaa'awa 7-11.

    I'm so looking forward to the new Safeway Supercenter on Kapahulu ave. to open. That's going to likely be my place, as it's along a good drive-line from my place in Waikiki. I can't stand the Foodland in Market City. Not enough parking and the store is often overcrowded.

    In Hawaii Kai, it's Costco for bulk non-perishable stuff and impulse shopping (damned Costco). Safeway in Hawaii Kai Shopping Center for meats and frozen items. Their freezer section is the best. So is their deli. Costco's ice cream selection sucks. Safeway's rules. The Koko Marina Foodland is rather out of the way from our house.

    My usual stop on my way home from work is the Ward Marukai Market. I love Japanese food.
    Foodland at Market City is absolutely terrible, I don't know how many near accidents I've witnessed and true accidents due to attempting to reverse but being that it's so narrow no matter how much you're paying attention, you could do the bump, oops, damn dance! But, I do it every so often because of their fish market, spicy tuna ahi to be exact.

    Even though my Dad demands that we shop at either Costco or Sams Club, there's too many other distractions. Go in for a gallon of milk, come out with (4) new DVDS!
    ___
    "Be god to each other."


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,134

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Some times Ala Moana Foodland, some times Don Quoite, some times Sam's Club.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Some times Ala Moana Foodland, some times Don Quoite, some times Sam's Club.
    So basically Helen, just an equal opportunity spender!
    ___
    "Be god to each other."


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    Even though my Dad demands that we shop at either Costco or Sams Club, there's too many other distractions. Go in for a gallon of milk, come out with (4) new DVDS!
    EXACTLY.

    I never manage to walk out of Costco spending less than $40. Often half of that on something I didn't intend to go there for in the first place.

    Helen, as you might be aware of, the Ala Moana Foodland is currently closed for renovations. It's supposed to re-open early this month.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    I think it's illegal to spend less than $100 at Costco Once I went in and bought one item that was less than $10, you should have seen the funny looks on the faces of everyone in line, almost as if I committed a crime!

    Really though, Costco needs an express lane.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Costco needs an express lane.
    Then I have fantastic news for you: Costco is installing an express lane!

    100 items or less.



    (And back on topic, it's Safeway for me, all the time. Best prices, best selection.)
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Then I have fantastic news for you: Costco is installing an express lane!

    100 items or less.



    (And back on topic, it's Safeway for me, all the time. Best prices, best selection.)
    Ha...ha...ha. Notice the pauses between Ha's? But seriously...how about a drive thru Hotdog/Drink combo for those of us who crave the bargain but don't have time stop and park.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Waipahu
    Posts
    3,534

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    Even though my Dad demands that we shop at either Costco or Sams Club, there's too many other distractions. Go in for a gallon of milk, come out with (4) new DVDS!
    Tell me about it. When we make monthly or bi-weekly trips to Sam's Club, we usually end up making plans for a small elevator to help with the groceries to carry upstairs. Sometimes, its gotten to the point where we almost went out to buy a new fridge - especially during the holiday time.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    10,134

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I think it's illegal to spend less than $100 at Costco Once I went in and bought one item that was less than $10, you should have seen the funny looks on the faces of everyone in line, almost as if I committed a crime!
    I don't get funny looks when I buy stuff around the $20 to $50 range. By any chance did you pull up to the cashier line with a cart when you brought your $10 thingy?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Ha...ha...ha. Notice the pauses between Ha's? But seriously...how about a drive thru Hotdog/Drink combo for those of us who crave the bargain but don't have time stop and park.
    AMEN! But even this line has too many distractions, hot dog and a drink turns into a slice of pizza, ice cream,...it doesn't end!

    **back to topic, you know since we were the ones who started it.**

    SKYSON is somewhat of a Costco and Sams Club...somewhat.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."


  15. #15

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    does anyone go to the local farmer's market for fresh veggies? Where are they on O'ahu?

    pax

  16. #16

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    does anyone go to the local farmer's market for fresh veggies? Where are they on O'ahu?
    Used to with my Papa and Nanny. Here's a link:

    http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/p...s/pom/sked.htm
    ___
    "Be god to each other."


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windward Oahu
    Posts
    1,248

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Costco or Sam's for me and the wife. Then Times's (five min from home) if we need only one or two of something.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    I prefer Safeway, but wherever I've lived, I've just become a regular of whatever was closest. For ten years, that's been Star Market. I've never understood why Star Markets always have a kind of dim, dingy look. It was always something that depressed me when I lived in the University area and then years later when I moved to Kalihi.

    Then one day, I was staying with a friend in Mililani, and I stopped for groceries. I couldn't believe the Star Market THEY have! It is NOTHING like the Star Market in my neighborhood! Man, I was super-jealous. I still kinda am.

    Depending on which direction I happen to be coming home from, I sometimes stop at Safeway in Salt Lake or the Foodlands on School Street or Dillingham. Or sometimes the Emjays in Waipahu. In any case, I don't go where the sales are. I get what's on sale wherever I happen to be.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    I like shopping at Safeway because their vegetables appear to be cleaner than the other grocery stores. Especially the romaine. Very clean, not much dirt and grit on the stems and leaves. Foodland has clean ones, too, but imo Safeway has the edge.

    Re Costco. Be careful around the soda dispensing area outside where they sell the food. One of the workers told me sometimes the homeless make shi-shi there so they have to wash down the area with a hose.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windward Oahu
    Posts
    1,248

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Add Foodland Kaneohe to my list for poke and raw crab.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Don Quoite or Safeway.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    I used to live in the Kalia, which was right across the street of that Hobron Lane Food Pantry. I love the layout, selection and fair prices there. It's a "cute" grocery store. Even if you look at their ads today, sometimes for some reason Foodland (who owns FP) prices certain items at FP lower than at Foodland. Weird. But nice for us Waikikians![...]
    Pomai...didya live at the Kalia before or after the Food Pantry upgrade a coupla years ago?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kapolei, HI
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post

    I'm so looking forward to the new Safeway Supercenter on Kapahulu ave. to open. That's going to likely be my place, as it's along a good drive-line from my place in Waikiki. I can't stand the Foodland in Market City. Not enough parking and the store is often overcrowded.
    I'll let everyone here know when the store will open it's doors. Best guess is the week before Thanksgiving, with the grand opening sometime in mid December.
    Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Pomai...didya live at the Kalia before or after the Food Pantry upgrade a coupla years ago?
    Before. From (est.) 1993 to 2001. The Kalia is a beautiful property, but leasehold. Also, it's mostly occupied by elderly folks who complain about everything. Because of the large garden, pool, age of the building, and politics, the maintenance fee is high as well.

    Why? What have they done at FP? I should go there and check it out. I really loved that Food Pantry. Last I heard, they were going to build a new "mega" Food Pantry on Kuhio Avenue near Kaiolu street, where Black Flies (formerly Boston's Pizza) used to be. I'm sticking with the (soon-to-be) new Kapahulu Safeway SuperCenter!

    Tutusue, have you tried that Indian restaurant in your building? Next to the Chinese Bistro place? Every day I pass by, I always tell myself I need to try that place. Don't tell us you only eat at the corner McDonalds!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Grocery Shopping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Before. [...] Why? What have they done at FP?[...]
    I didn't see it before but a friend who lives in the neighborhood said the square footage was expanded as were the meat and produce sections. It has a nice deli but I don't remember if that was there before or not.
    Tutusue, have you tried that Indian restaurant in your building? Next to the Chinese Bistro place? Every day I pass by, I always tell myself I need to try that place.
    I haven't tried Bombay yet. An Indian friend likes it. A Chinese friend doesn't! My Indian friend has promised to take me there. We'll see. If you're in the 'hood and have an extra chair, gimme a call and I'll join you!
    Don't tell us you only eat at the corner McDonalds!
    <hangs head in shame!>

    Oh Lordy...that's just WAY too convenient!!! Even tho' it's not on the menu board, that McD's has the $1.00 menu. McD's side salads have been a staple of mine as long as they've had them. Much cheaper for me than the spoilage I end up with when buying the individual ingredients at the grocery store. (See, back on topic!!!) I also like the snack wraps. And, in a pinch (meaning no time to cook), I'll get a breakfast burrito. Oh, and my beloved "senior Diet Coke"!

    Back to grocery shopping...
    The ABC Store across the street has sale prices that rival prices at Safeway. Cereal prices are a killer tho'!!! I bought a bottle of wine to take to a friend's house and the price was the same as the sale price at Safeway.

    Like Scriv, I don't shop the sale prices. I buy the sale items and create meals around them. Since I'm now walking distance to FP I'm not as concerned with Safeway's circular. I now factor in not using gas!
    Last edited by tutusue; August 4th, 2007 at 11:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •