Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grocery Shopping.

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    does anyone go to the local farmer's market for fresh veggies? Where are they on O'ahu?
    Used to with my Papa and Nanny. Here's a link:

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/p...s/pom/sked.htm
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Costco or Sam's for me and the wife. Then Times's (five min from home) if we need only one or two of something.

Comment

I prefer Safeway, but wherever I've lived, I've just become a regular of whatever was closest. For ten years, that's been Star Market. I've never understood why Star Markets always have a kind of dim, dingy look. It was always something that depressed me when I lived in the University area and then years later when I moved to Kalihi.

Then one day, I was staying with a friend in Mililani, and I stopped for groceries. I couldn't believe the Star Market THEY have! It is NOTHING like the Star Market in my neighborhood! Man, I was super-jealous. I still kinda am.

Depending on which direction I happen to be coming home from, I sometimes stop at Safeway in Salt Lake or the Foodlands on School Street or Dillingham. Or sometimes the Emjays in Waipahu. In any case, I don't go where the sales are. I get what's on sale wherever I happen to be.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I like shopping at Safeway because their vegetables appear to be cleaner than the other grocery stores. Especially the romaine. Very clean, not much dirt and grit on the stems and leaves. Foodland has clean ones, too, but imo Safeway has the edge.

Re Costco. Be careful around the soda dispensing area outside where they sell the food. One of the workers told me sometimes the homeless make shi-shi there so they have to wash down the area with a hose.

Comment

Add Foodland Kaneohe to my list for poke and raw crab.

Comment

Don Quoite or Safeway.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                I used to live in the Kalia, which was right across the street of that Hobron Lane Food Pantry. I love the layout, selection and fair prices there. It's a "cute" grocery store. Even if you look at their ads today, sometimes for some reason Foodland (who owns FP) prices certain items at FP lower than at Foodland. Weird. But nice for us Waikikians![...]
                Pomai...didya live at the Kalia before or after the Food Pantry upgrade a coupla years ago?

Comment

I'm so looking forward to the new Safeway Supercenter on Kapahulu ave. to open. That's going to likely be my place, as it's along a good drive-line from my place in Waikiki. I can't stand the Foodland in Market City. Not enough parking and the store is often overcrowded.
                  I'll let everyone here know when the store will open it's doors. Best guess is the week before Thanksgiving, with the grand opening sometime in mid December.
                  Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Pomai...didya live at the Kalia before or after the Food Pantry upgrade a coupla years ago?
                    Before. From (est.) 1993 to 2001. The Kalia is a beautiful property, but leasehold. Also, it's mostly occupied by elderly folks who complain about everything. Because of the large garden, pool, age of the building, and politics, the maintenance fee is high as well.

Why? What have they done at FP? I should go there and check it out. I really loved that Food Pantry. Last I heard, they were going to build a new "mega" Food Pantry on Kuhio Avenue near Kaiolu street, where Black Flies (formerly Boston's Pizza) used to be. I'm sticking with the (soon-to-be) new Kapahulu Safeway SuperCenter!

Tutusue, have you tried that Indian restaurant in your building? Next to the Chinese Bistro place? Every day I pass by, I always tell myself I need to try that place. Don't tell us you only eat at the corner McDonalds!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Before. [...] Why? What have they done at FP?[...]
                      I didn't see it before but a friend who lives in the neighborhood said the square footage was expanded as were the meat and produce sections. It has a nice deli but I don't remember if that was there before or not.
                      Tutusue, have you tried that Indian restaurant in your building? Next to the Chinese Bistro place? Every day I pass by, I always tell myself I need to try that place.
                      I haven't tried Bombay yet. An Indian friend likes it. A Chinese friend doesn't! My Indian friend has promised to take me there. We'll see. If you're in the 'hood and have an extra chair, gimme a call and I'll join you!
                      Don't tell us you only eat at the corner McDonalds!
                      <hangs head in shame!>

Oh Lordy...that's just WAY too convenient!!! Even tho' it's not on the menu board, that McD's has the $1.00 menu. McD's side salads have been a staple of mine as long as they've had them. Much cheaper for me than the spoilage I end up with when buying the individual ingredients at the grocery store. (See, back on topic!!!) I also like the snack wraps. And, in a pinch (meaning no time to cook), I'll get a breakfast burrito. Oh, and my beloved "senior Diet Coke"!

Back to grocery shopping...
                      The ABC Store across the street has sale prices that rival prices at Safeway. Cereal prices are a killer tho'!!! I bought a bottle of wine to take to a friend's house and the price was the same as the sale price at Safeway.

Like Scriv, I don't shop the sale prices. I buy the sale items and create meals around them. Since I'm now walking distance to FP I'm not as concerned with Safeway's circular. I now factor in not using gas!
                      Last edited by tutusue; August 4, 2007, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Here whea I stay

I do mines here and there......

SAFEWAY! Da Club Card doez wondaz fo me!
                        Sometimes "Target" and the fantabulous discount I get helps
                        Have not been to the new "Luckys" that suddenly re-emerged here in my area...

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                          [...]Have not been to the new "Luckys" that suddenly re-emerged here in my area...
                          OMG! Lucky's! Whatta blast from the past! I did my very first 'wifely' shopping at the Redondo Beach Lucky's...1964! Bought 6 big bags of groceries for $18.! YES! Eighteen dollars! That stocked the kitchen with all the staples and meals for at least a week. <sigh!>

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            OMG! Lucky's! Whatta blast from the past! I did my very first 'wifely' shopping at the Redondo Beach Lucky's...1964!
                            When I moved down to the Bay Area.... Albertsons merged with all the Lucky Stores and changed it to their name back in 2000 I believe....
                            Just recent they wanted to be competitive w/ stores like SAFEWAY for some reason the "Lucky" name came back here in ALL the Northern California stores.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
                              I like shopping at Safeway because their vegetables appear to be cleaner than the other grocery stores. Especially the romaine. Very clean, not much dirt and grit on the stems and leaves.
                              I kinda like seeing some dirt on my fresh veggies. It reminds me that dirt isn't so dirty; the food I eat is grown in it. I'll admit, though, that I don't buy fresh spinach as often as I might, just because getting it clean is too much hassle sometimes.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Whenever I am at Costo I notice ppl are slapping the watermelons

Comment

Working...
                                X