Grocery Shopping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Shopping.

I wasn't quite sure if this fit into the KAU KAU CORNER because it's more consumerism rather than delightful eats!

We're on our way to do the beginning of the month grocery shopping, NOE has scoured the sales ads so our list consists of SKYSON, LONGS, SAFEWAY and quite possibly FOODLAND. Each time we do our "big" shopping, I cringe at the total price because I recall the days in Houston, Texas of (20) oranges for a $1, and a gallon of milk on sale for $1.99, and tax free food, and well you get the picture. And, this was only a few years ago.

But, would I move from my home, Hawaii, to have better prices on food in another State? No.

Who's on your grocery list?
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Re: Grocery Shopping.

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
    [...]Who's on your grocery list?
    Denzel Washington...yummmmmm!

Seriously, with my recent move to the ewa end of Waikiki, both Food Pantry and ABC Store are within a very short walk. I was surprised to find that, for many of the items on my regular grocery list, both stores are not that much pricier than Safeway, which is my usual town shop stop. With gas factored in it probably evens out. Now I shop at Safeway only when I pick up a prescription. When in Makaha it's Tamura's...always! Gotta be one of the least expensive grocery stores on the island.

If I still had kids at home I'd shop more like you do. I do grocery shop at Costco, but it's limited because of bulk buying. Too much waste and not enough storage for a one person household!

Comment

P.K. and I go Grocery Shopping every two weeks.

Times Liliha, Safeway (Beretania), Longs Pali, and Food Land (Dillingham).

I also go with my daughter to the Navy Commissary.

Longs Pali is a favorite of mine...I'm there x4+ a week!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        with my recent move to the ewa end of Waikiki, both Food Pantry and ABC Store are within a very short walk. I was surprised to find that, for many of the items on my regular grocery list, both stores are not that much pricier than Safeway, which is my usual town shop stop.
        I used to live in the Kalia, which was right across the street of that Hobron Lane Food Pantry. I love the layout, selection and fair prices there. It's a "cute" grocery store. Even if you look at their ads today, sometimes for some reason Foodland (who owns FP) prices certain items at FP lower than at Foodland. Weird. But nice for us Waikikians!

I mentioned this before, but when I used to live in a beach house out Kualoa side, my "grocery shopping" was often done at the Kaa'awa 7-11.

I'm so looking forward to the new Safeway Supercenter on Kapahulu ave. to open. That's going to likely be my place, as it's along a good drive-line from my place in Waikiki. I can't stand the Foodland in Market City. Not enough parking and the store is often overcrowded.

In Hawaii Kai, it's Costco for bulk non-perishable stuff and impulse shopping (damned Costco). Safeway in Hawaii Kai Shopping Center for meats and frozen items. Their freezer section is the best. So is their deli. Costco's ice cream selection sucks. Safeway's rules. The Koko Marina Foodland is rather out of the way from our house.

My usual stop on my way home from work is the Ward Marukai Market. I love Japanese food.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          I used to live in the Kalia, which was right across the street of that Hobron Lane Food Pantry. I love the layout, selection and fair prices there. It's a "cute" grocery store. Even if you look at their ads today, sometimes for some reason Foodland (who owns FP) prices certain items at FP lower than at Foodland. Weird. But nice for us Waikikians!

I mentioned this before, but when I used to live in a beach house out Kualoa side, my "grocery shopping" was often done at the Kaa'awa 7-11.

I'm so looking forward to the new Safeway Supercenter on Kapahulu ave. to open. That's going to likely be my place, as it's along a good drive-line from my place in Waikiki. I can't stand the Foodland in Market City. Not enough parking and the store is often overcrowded.

In Hawaii Kai, it's Costco for bulk non-perishable stuff and impulse shopping (damned Costco). Safeway in Hawaii Kai Shopping Center for meats and frozen items. Their freezer section is the best. So is their deli. Costco's ice cream selection sucks. Safeway's rules. The Koko Marina Foodland is rather out of the way from our house.

My usual stop on my way home from work is the Ward Marukai Market. I love Japanese food.
          Foodland at Market City is absolutely terrible, I don't know how many near accidents I've witnessed and true accidents due to attempting to reverse but being that it's so narrow no matter how much you're paying attention, you could do the bump, oops, damn dance! But, I do it every so often because of their fish market, spicy tuna ahi to be exact.

Even though my Dad demands that we shop at either Costco or Sams Club, there's too many other distractions. Go in for a gallon of milk, come out with (4) new DVDS!
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Some times Ala Moana Foodland, some times Don Quoite, some times Sam's Club.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              Some times Ala Moana Foodland, some times Don Quoite, some times Sam's Club.
              So basically Helen, just an equal opportunity spender!
              ___
              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Even though my Dad demands that we shop at either Costco or Sams Club, there's too many other distractions. Go in for a gallon of milk, come out with (4) new DVDS!
                EXACTLY.

I never manage to walk out of Costco spending less than $40. Often half of that on something I didn't intend to go there for in the first place.

Helen, as you might be aware of, the Ala Moana Foodland is currently closed for renovations. It's supposed to re-open early this month.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I think it's illegal to spend less than $100 at Costco Once I went in and bought one item that was less than $10, you should have seen the funny looks on the faces of everyone in line, almost as if I committed a crime!

Really though, Costco needs an express lane.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Costco needs an express lane.
                    Then I have fantastic news for you: Costco is installing an express lane!

100 items or less.

(And back on topic, it's Safeway for me, all the time. Best prices, best selection.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Then I have fantastic news for you: Costco is installing an express lane!

100 items or less.

(And back on topic, it's Safeway for me, all the time. Best prices, best selection.)
                      Ha...ha...ha. Notice the pauses between Ha's? But seriously...how about a drive thru Hotdog/Drink combo for those of us who crave the bargain but don't have time stop and park.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Tell me about it. When we make monthly or bi-weekly trips to Sam's Club, we usually end up making plans for a small elevator to help with the groceries to carry upstairs. Sometimes, its gotten to the point where we almost went out to buy a new fridge - especially during the holiday time.
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I think it's illegal to spend less than $100 at Costco Once I went in and bought one item that was less than $10, you should have seen the funny looks on the faces of everyone in line, almost as if I committed a crime!
                          I don't get funny looks when I buy stuff around the $20 to $50 range. By any chance did you pull up to the cashier line with a cart when you brought your $10 thingy?

Comment

Ha...ha...ha. Notice the pauses between Ha's? But seriously...how about a drive thru Hotdog/Drink combo for those of us who crave the bargain but don't have time stop and park.
                            AMEN! But even this line has too many distractions, hot dog and a drink turns into a slice of pizza, ice cream,...it doesn't end!

**back to topic, you know since we were the ones who started it.**

SKYSON is somewhat of a Costco and Sams Club...somewhat.
                            ___
                            "Be god to each other."

Comment

does anyone go to the local farmer's market for fresh veggies? Where are they on O'ahu?

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X