Hard Rock Cafe moving location after 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Rock Cafe moving location after 20 years

Moving out if its present location into the Waikiki Beach Walk retail area in 2009:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/04/news/story01.html

Sort of makes sense the other Hard Rocks in Hawaii are located near the beach and many of the mainland Hard Rock's are located in the heart of its popular tourist areas.

I don't know what kind of business Hard Rock gets at night but I ate there recently and the place was dead until one of UH's opponents were in town (might have been volleyball) and livened up the place, other than that the place felt like it's better days had past. Bill was over nearly 100 bucks and bought no souvenirs and it was just my wife, two toddlers and mother-in- law eating there. Often drive by the place and during the day nobody seems to be there either. I'm sure this change of location will help business.

Aj

Re: Hard Rock Cafe moving location after 20 years

It is unclear what will be developed at the nearly 1-acre site of the existing restaurant, across from the Hawaii Convention Center.
    <sigh> Anyone taking any bets that it won't be another high rise?

Comment

Hopefully the 'acoustics' at the new HR will be one heckuva lot better than the current one. Dang...that's such a noisy restaurant that I found it hard to carry on a conversation with my table mates. I've been there less than a handful of times because of that.

GG...that property is too valuable not to go high rise. Time will tell, tho'. I wonder which high rise will be the one to sink the island?!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        <sigh> Anyone taking any bets that it won't be another high rise?
        New rail station/low income housing high rise?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          New rail station/low income housing high rise?
          Rail station would be good. Especially right across the street from the convention center. Low income? Not likely. Not in Waikiki.

Bring back Coco Joe's!

Comment

Rail station would be good. Especially right across the street from the convention center. Low income? Not likely. Not in Waikiki.

Bring back Coco Joe's!
            It's too bad, it makes perfect sense for a low income right on top of a rail station right there. Gives reason for tenants above the station to not need a car; they are a spitting distance from jobs in Waikiki and shopping at Ala Moana/Walmart; and the rent collected could help offset cost of station. I guess that makes too much sense for the powers that be.

Comment

Not likely? Yeah right. Head over the bridge on Kalakaua and take a right on Ala Wai. Go down to the end of the block and you'll find some low-rise, low income housing.

A rail station with an apartment tower on the top makes sense to me.

Bring back Coco Joe's!
              Umm... it was called Coco's. I used to have breakfast there 3 or 4 times a week.

Never gonna happen, but I wish that place would come back too.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                Go down to the end of the block and you'll find some low-rise, low income housing.
                New buildings, or just ones that haven't been sold to the developers yet? I don't think it's likely that the politicians are going to put low income housing there. Not impossible, but more likely some grand glorious vision will come to them. That all assumes they move fast enough to get it.

Umm... it was called Coco's.
                Dang. Why did I think Coco Joes? Mixing it up with tourist tikis, I guess.

You're right. Nice, but not going to happen. I can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Hopefully the 'acoustics' at the new HR will be one heckuva lot better than the current one. Dang...that's such a noisy restaurant that I found it hard to carry on a conversation with my table mates. I've been there less than a handful of times because of that.
                  The only time I went to Hardrock was just after it first opened. I don't remember much of what happened that day ... none of us could hear what anyone was saying, so we ended up just looking at the guitars hanging on the walls.

Umm... it was called Coco's. I used to have breakfast there 3 or 4 times a week.
                  Ahhh, Coco's. Many memories there. It was one of about a half dozen 24-hour restaurants we visited after 2:00 a.m. ... including Wailana, Likelike, Columbia Inn, the Civic, and a Chinese/American restaurant near the Ilikai, the name of which I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                    [...]Ahhh, Coco's. Many memories there. It was one of about a half dozen 24-hour restaurants we visited after 2:00 a.m. ... including Wailana, Likelike, Columbia Inn, the Civic, and a Chinese/American restaurant near the Ilikai, the name of which I can't remember.
                    Wasn't there one on the mauka/ewa corner of Kalakaua and Young or King? Or was I eating breakfast illegally at 2am?!

Comment

There was a Dinners on the corner (King and Kalakaua) during the mid-1980's. Now it's now a storage place that is still under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        There was a Dinners on the corner (King and Kalakaua) during the mid-1980's. Now it's now a storage place that is still under construction.
                        The name, Dinners, doesn't sound familiar, Helen, but the location does. When I passed the self-storage in progress I thought of that restaurant so I guess we're talkin' about the same one!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          The name, Dinners, doesn't sound familiar, Helen, but the location does. When I passed the self-storage in progress I thought of that restaurant so I guess we're talkin' about the same one!
                          Diners Drive-In.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Ooops! Sorry...I neba read your post good.

My bad.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              It was a branch of DINER'S DRIVE-INN (the original location is in Kalihi on North King St., Diamond Head of Waikamilo). There was also one on Keeaumoku, which was displaced by the HMSA building.

Before Coco's, I believe it was called KOW KOW KORNER.

Comment

Working...
                              X