Naming Storm Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Storm Systems

If a tropical storm forms halfway between Hawaii and Mexico, how does it end up being named Flossie?

For the most part, Hawaii's weather is boringly wonderful, but I am a self-proclaimed amateur weather goddess fascinated by atmospheric pressure, tropical depressions (monthly!), and freakin' odd weather systems such as tornadoes that hit NYC subways.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Storm Systems

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    If a tropical storm forms halfway between Hawaii and Mexico, how does it end up being named Flossie?
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I was hoping to start a conversation. Half way between Hawaii and Mexico, and neither a Mexican nor a Hawaiian name was used? Thanks for the link, but it really doesn't answer the question or advance any theories.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Can you name 6 Hawaiian/Mexican names that start with "F"? Maybe you can talk NOAA into changing their list.

Comment

I think they would probably be spanish in origin? Francisco, Felicia, Ferdinand, Fernando, Felix, Flora, but I'm just guessing that these might fit the bill. I think someone had a favorite cow and wanted to name a storm after her.

I thought this would be a pleasant exchange of ideas, but I am flummoxed so far.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Felix is used in the Atlantic. I have the feeling that some names get retired. I didn't see any names of famous hurricanes.

I thought this would be a pleasant exchange of ideas, but I am flummoxed so far.
            Some subjects that you'd think would do well hardly get any response. And some off-hand remark becomes a big long topic. Never can tell how it goes. Once posted, things take on a life all their own.

Comment

I was hoping to start a conversation. Half way between Hawaii and Mexico, and neither a Mexican nor a Hawaiian name was used? Thanks for the link, but it really doesn't answer the question or advance any theories.
              Maybe Flossie was the name of the guy's pet dog who had to come up with a name?
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Did you notice the list for storms forming in the Central North Pacific? The list which includes Flossie(Eastern North Pacific) has numerous names of Latin origin including Flossie. My theory is that you only glanced at the provided link.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                  Did you notice the list for storms forming in the Central North Pacific? The list which includes Flossie(Eastern North Pacific) has numerous names of Latin origin including Flossie. My theory is that you only glanced at the provided link.
                  No, I scrolled the entire page. All it did was list names, it didn't explain how names are chosen. That's something I think would be interesting to know about. Sure, it's probably a NWS or NOAA gathering for lunch or it's some obscure clerk somewhere "stuck" with the job each year, much the same way a reporter gets to write all of the down-on-their-luck stories at the papers to inspire donations. It's OK for someone like me to think this could be interesting. It's OK for you to not think it's interesting. But it's not OK to think you can diminish me because we're not on the same page. I don't even know who you are so I have no idea why you'd want to ridicule me.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Maybe Flossie was the name of the guy's pet dog who had to come up with a name?
                    Or maybe "Flossie" was suggested by a dentist?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Or maybe "Flossie" was suggested by a dentist?
                      Or an NOAA official on a beach in Florida noticed a few "Flossies".
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

It's OK for someone like me to think this could be interesting. It's OK for you to not think it's interesting. But it's not OK to think you can diminish me because we're not on the same page. I don't even know who you are so I have no idea why you'd want to ridicule me.
                        Not my intention. Sorry if you thought so. Just playing. This is what I was referring to:

Central North Pacific Names

List 1
                        Akoni
                        Ema
                        Hana
                        Io
                        Keli
                        Lala
                        Moke
                        Nele
                        Oka
                        Peke
                        Uleki
                        Wila

List 2
                        Aka
                        Ekeka
                        Hali
                        Iolana
                        Keoni
                        Li
                        Mele
                        Nona
                        Oliwa
                        Paka
                        Upana
                        Wene

List 3
                        Alika
                        Ele
                        Huko
                        Ioke
                        Kika
                        Lana
                        Maka
                        Neki
                        Oleka
                        Peni
                        Ulia
                        Wali

List 4
                        Ana
                        Ela
                        Halola
                        Iune
                        Kimo
                        Loke
                        Malia
                        Niala
                        Oko
                        Pali
                        Ulika
                        Walaka

You'll probably find 2009 for the NE Pacific more palatable, at least in the early part of the season :

Andres
                        Blanca
                        Carlos
                        Dolores
                        Enrique
                        Felicia
                        Guillermo
                        Hilda
                        Ignacio
                        Jimena
                        Last edited by sinjin; August 9, 2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

From the little I have read about it, the World Meteorological Org. chose the names, but so far I haven't found how they chose them. The lists were put out for a good number of years and they rotate, each list being used six years after it was last used, talk about boring! I was thinking its a brand new list each year.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

http://www.wmo.ch/pages/prog/www/tcp...mes1July05.pdf

Comment

NOAA's current visible Pacific satellite loop (wait for Java to load) shows Flossie as a substantial system. She's currently about halfway between the west coast and Hawaii.

Back to you Joe.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X