Warning about Washington state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning about Washington state

No, this doesn't have anything to do with my favorite [/cough] HT poster from Seattle.

From a Breaking News item at this link on the Advertiser's website:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers not to eat raw oysters harvested from an area of the southern tip of Hood Canal in Washington. One of the areas where the oysters were distributed was Hawai'i.
    The FDA said raw oysters harvested from "growing area 6" in Hood Canal from July 3 and thereafter have caused at least six people in California and Washington to become ill.
    Symptoms of the illness called vibriosis include watery diarrhea that may be accompanied by abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills. The agency is recommending people who believe they have experienced these symptoms after consuming raw oysters to consult with their healthcare provider and their local health department.

The FDA also said consumers can continue to enjoy oysters in many cooked preparations by doing the following:

At restaurants and other establishments:

Order oysters fully cooked.

In the shell:

Purchase oysters with the shells closed.

Throw away any oysters with shells already opened.

Never allow raw seafood to come into contact with cooked food.

Boil oysters until the shells open. Once shells open, boil for an additional three to five minutes.

To steam — add oysters to water that is already steaming and cook live oysters until the shells open. Once open steam for another four to nine minutes.

Use smaller pots to boil or steam oysters. Using larger pots, or cooking too many oysters at one time, may cause uneven heat distribution, which may cause the oysters in the middle to be under-cooked.

Discard any oysters that do not open during cooking.

Shucked Oysters:

Never allow raw seafood to come into contact with cooked food.

Boil or simmer shucked oysters for at least three minutes or until the edges curl.

Fry at 375 F for at least three minutes.

Broil three inches from heat for three minutes.

Bake at 450 F for 10 minutes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Warning about Washington state

I know how eating raw oysters can get you in trouble, my experience in New Orleans a few months ago is something I'll never forget. In the oyster bars they have down there they cut the oyster open and literally toss it onto the bar with no plate or anything. I ate about a dozen of those then woke up the next morning so sick it wasn't funny. Had to leave for Memphis via train so had no choice but to get up and move around. Not only did I lose all the oysters I ate, but I lost the crackers I ate them with and the irony of it all is when you have a sore stomach crackers are often a subtle saving grace, but I didnt want anything to do with crackers or oysters for that matter for a very long time.

This warning about Washington state is a good one and you can get sick just about anywhere if you eat a bad batch or eat non-sanitized oysters like I did.

Aj

Comment

So, you people in Washington had better pay attention and take care, otherwise everything will go to pot over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
        So, you people in Washington had better pay attention and take care, otherwise everything will go to pot over there.
        Whaddya mean "will?"

Comment

What a shame. Best oysters I have ever had, besides the Ches Bay ones locally.

With all the pollution we hear about, I am surprised that there are not more occurances like this. I have had a case of red tide, NOT fun, wanted to just die and get it over with. Vibrio is another horrible one, potentially fatal, put you out for the count for a better part of a week at least though.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

No biggie. Things like this (either red tide or vibrio) happen every summer around here somewhere along our coastline. With the contamination of our oceans, I never eat raw shellfish anymore. The last raw oyster I had was in Boston many years ago. I wouldn't eat any raw shellfish harvested in the summertime, in particular.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              No biggie.
              "No biggie"?!??? Something that made six people sick on the very first day of the warning notice, and it's "no biggie"?
              And this "no biggie" comes from the person who endlessly posts dire warnings about anything and everything here.
              Apparently if something bad happens in her hometown of Seattle, it's no biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Nah, she's probably just enjoying the reversal of this advice:
                So there you have it again, folks. A classic example of why local knowledge beats a mainlander's reliance on internet info every single time.
                Readers, beware of internet pseudo-experts!!! Taking their advice is at your own risk, as we've seen far too many times here recently.
                (Come on, LN - you know I'm just teasing...the opportunity was too good to pass up! I know you can laugh about it, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Come on, LN - you know I'm just teasing...the opportunity was too good to pass up! I know you can laugh about it, too.
                  Of course I can! Look ---> See?

As for whether or not I buy you and your AF drinks and pupus next time, well...

Comment

Of course I can! Look ---> See?
                    I knew you had it in you, pal!
                    As for whether or not I buy you and your AF drinks and pupus next time, well...
                    Hey, now --- we OWE you anyway, so don't even try!

Or get your okole over here some day - and we promise NOT to treat you to raw oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Nah, she's probably just enjoying the reversal of this adviceCome on, LN - you know I'm just teasing...the opportunity was too good to pass up! I know you can laugh about it, too.)
                      Nope, not even smiling. BUT: "People in glass houses should not throw stones" and the ignore function on this forum is a useful tool, indeed.

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; August 13, 2007, 02:09 PM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

...aaaand before this gets any deeper, shall we just agree how nice it is that Ryan keeps a forum available for all of us, Islanders and non- alike, to comment about and express our opinions and thoughts on all sorts of topics, whether they are about Hawai`i or not?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Getting back on-topic, I have to admit that I'm not fond of raw oysters. I've eaten them only once, because a friend from Iowa was visiting, and he loved 'em. He couldn't believe I lived in Seattle but hadn't ever eaten raw oysters - so I had one.

No one told me you weren't supposed to chew on 'em. Bleah! Never again will I choose to drop one of those slimers down my gullet. Makes me wonder what was going through the mind of the first human who pried one of those shells open, saw the ooze within, and thought...

"Gee, I wonder what that tastes like?"

Comment

More like, if SHE'S not the one to post about it, then it must not be a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio;159127Getting back on-topic, I have to admit that I'm not fond of raw oysters. I've eaten them only once, because a friend from Iowa was visiting, and he loved 'em. He couldn't believe I lived in Seattle but hadn't ever eaten raw oysters - so I had one.

[B
                            No one told me you weren't supposed to chew on 'em.[/B] Bleah! Never again will I choose to drop one of those slimers down my gullet. Makes me wonder what was going through the mind of the first human who pried one of those shells open, saw the ooze within, and thought...

"Gee, I wonder what that tastes like?"
                            I, too, have experienced only one raw oyster in all my life. Much the same way as you. No one told me not to chew. I chewed---the damn thing seemed way to big to slide down my foodpipe without obstructing something on the way. Chewing seemed mandatory at the time, to avoid death. Yuck yuck YUCK.

My tastebuds remember it as an ocean-flavored gristly phlegm ball. And the color? Eeew. Looks like poorly perfused tissue. Slightly necrotic in appearance, IIRC.

Pass the tabasco sauce.
                            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; August 13, 2007, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                              My tastebuds remember it as an ocean-flavored gristly phlegm ball. And the color? Eeew. Looks like poorly perfused tissue. Slightly necrotic in appearance, IIRC.
                              I LOVE it when you get all medical on us, WORN - your description was right on the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X