Storm preparation/buying tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Storm Preparation/buying tips~

Check the meds and get refills if needed, then gather them in one location for easy grabbing if you have to bug out.

Comment

A lot of excellent tips in this thread. I went to Longs yesterday and things were fairly quiet. I'm not sure if people are prepared or were taking a wait and see approach. If you've been waiting and seeing, it's time to take action. You never regret over-preparing. If the worst happens and we end up without power, we'll all be spending a lot of time outdoors, so mosquito coils (or citronella candles) will help make it more comfortable outside and a large bottle of whiskey to sip around the bbq is always welcome.

I almost forgot, keep sufficient cash on hand in the event that atms, credit cards, banks, etc. are not working, off-line or closed.
      Last edited by glossyp; August 13, 2007, 07:29 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

That's good glossyp. Make sure when you have cash that's it's in small bills too. Often times vendors won't have change.

My friend said key cell phone sites may be up so charge your phone. He also said texting would be better than calling.
        Last edited by jkpescador; August 13, 2007, 08:50 AM.
        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Picked up more batteries from Costco today. Granted the person in front of me at the check out stand was buying D and C cell batteries while I was buying AA and 9 volt batteries the overall mood of the customers seem to be not in panic mode.

Comment

If you need D-sized batteries and you only have C-cells, you can make 'em fit with an adapter that costs only a few quarters. Actually it is a few quarters.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/ctodadapter

Comment

At 5 p.m. Costco Hawaii Kai was jumping like it was the day before Christmas! The parking lot was bumper to bumper. City Mill Hawaii Kai is out of propane. I tried to get my two spares filled but someone drove by me in the lot and let me know before I carted them in.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

At the Hilo Home Depot, all the cheap 4x8 plyboard sheets were sold out. What makes me think in a couple of days we'll see those sheets come back as returns with nail holes in em

We sold out on generators, propane bottles, D-cell batteries and C-cell Maglites. One of the more posh hotels in Waiakoloa made a phone order and bought out ALL OF OUR C-cell flashlights. They said they were gonna distribute them to all of their hotel patrons. Wow, the cheap Eveready 2-D cell plastic flashlight twin pack with four D-cell batteries weren't good enough I guess.

Ho man the flashlights were selling like iPhones on the first day of release. I couldn't bring them down fast enough. People were scrambling for them as the cases were coming off the shelves.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

you know...whats going to be mo scary is when everybody is monitoring the big isle and IF Flossie's wrath is bad...esp in the morning per the news reports, EVERYBODY...especially on Oahu are going nuts and clog up the roads, hitting gas stations, Costcos, Longs, picking up the kids early instead of lettin um catch DABUS!!! Garens going be WORSE than pau hana friday or Day aftah Thankgiving at shopping malls. FYI....I used to work at a photo concession and was located at the OLD brick bldg at Kewalos next to the "tower". When Iniki or Iwa (forget aready..getting old!) passed by, I actually couldnt open up the lab door to exit...the force of the winds was tremendous!!

Comment

Just got back from Wal-Mart. The flashlight, battery, toilet paper, and water sections were bad. People still buy Aquafina ... The camping section was hit pretty hard too. All the stuff I bought a couple months ago were gone.

I bought some soda, toothpaste for the kid, as well as some diapers. I also bought more Pool Shock. I think I'll fill up my rubbish can if I have to and throw some pool shock in there to keep the mosquitos away and make it smell better. I also bought a waterproof bag from the camping section to store some of our more important items.

Earlier in the evening we went to Costco. The water section and canned good s section were where people were at. Batteries were selling at a good paste. We just bought some dry items like cereals and breakfast bars. We also bought more wipes per the advice on HT.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Made my Wal-Mart stop last night.

Not too crowded, and I got all the gear I needed.

Those 9V flashlights for $4 were a good deal.

Anyone know what the generator situation is like?
                      Last edited by Palolo Joe; August 13, 2007, 11:23 PM.

Comment

I cannot believe that people wait til the last minute!!

Poor people must be writing bad checks.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Generators sound so wise to have, but what bugs me is the gas for them. Can you safely store gas? or can gas stay right in the generator, or does it get old and cause problems? How much gas can a typical, household gen. hold, and then how long can it run on it? Are they great for just one day, but if you are without power a week after a storm, oh man....do generators then become useless cuz you couldn't store enough fuel for them? I've always wondered and never seriously considered buying one.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I just came from the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart. They still have batteries (AA, AAA and I guess 9 volt) at various places around the store. Toilet paper stocks were lower than it was yesterday but they still had if you are willing to buy the 4 roll packs.

All the cheap flashlights are gone as well as the space blankets at the camping section.

Toothbrush selection was kind of limited which sort of surprised me, but toothpaste selection was varied.

They ran out of Era. I am going to go back and pick up some liquid Tide instead and some masking tape that I forgot to pick up the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                              Generators sound so wise to have, but what bugs me is the gas for them. Can you safely store gas? or can gas stay right in the generator, or does it get old and cause problems?
                              Sta-bil is the answer. Yes, you can store it, if you have a house. Forget it if you live in an apartment.

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                              How much gas can a typical, household gen. hold, and then how long can it run on it?
                              Check the specs. They are usually good for several hours for a tank. Don't forget your car uses the same fuel. A siphon hose would be a good investment - the kind with a built in hand pump to get it started. Only run the generator when you need power. While we're used to it 24/7, we don't absolutely require it that much.

Comment

My addition to my emergency kit? A deck of cards.

Seriously. Very practical.

Comment

Working...
                                X