No announcement yet.

Rockin' and Rollin' on the Big Island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holy crap we just had a big earthquake!!

LOL you had several small ones, then approx....7:38? PM.....or so, you had a 5.4. I am thinking that maybe....this is the biggest quake since the aftershocks last Oct, but haven't checked the lists to see for sure. WOW...

now, ya need a chuckle? I just posted a few hours ago on an earthquake site that....hmmm...many oldtimers said there was such a thing as "earthquake weather." I posted that I wondered if the BI was going to have a quake around the time of this storm and since that island has them every week, I did mean a sizeable one, of course, a noteworthy one. Wow.....(I know a dude that was at the Santa Clara county courthouse the day of the big world series, Loma Prieta quake back in '89 and he was walking out and overheard two ladies talking of the very still and hot, humid weather of that day, quite unusual for that area and one lady said to the other "earthquake weather" then Loma Prieta hit.

yes I know...scientists will guffaw such an idea, while I've heard a good number of "anecdotal evidence" to the contrary.

Magnitude 5.4 - ISLAND OF HAWAII, HAWAII
    2007 August 14 05:38:06 UTC
    Details Summary Maps Scientific & Technical
    Where can I find...?
    Earthquake Details
    Magnitude 5.4
    Date-Time Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 05:38:06 UTC
    Monday, August 13, 2007 at 07:38:06 PM at epicenter

Location 19.346°N, 155.066°W
    Depth 9.7 km (6.0 miles)
    Region ISLAND OF HAWAII, HAWAII
    Distances 16 km (10 miles) SSE (155&#176 from Fern Forest, HI
    17 km (11 miles) SSE (166&#176 from Eden Roc, HI
    19 km (12 miles) S (172&#176 from Fern Acres, HI
    28 km (17 miles) SW (216&#176 from Hawaiian Beaches, HI
    40 km (25 miles) S (177&#176 from Hilo, HI
    361 km (224 miles) SE (127&#176 from Honolulu, HI
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
      LOL you had several small ones, then approx....7:38? PM.....or so, you had a 5.4. I am thinking that maybe....this is the biggest quake since the aftershocks last Oct, but haven't checked the lists to see for sure. WOW...
      Yeah, there was a smaller shake 1-2 seconds before the big woo-woo-woo see-saw hit. I jumped in the doorway like a scalded cat just in time for the biggie, then out in the parking lot for the next 5 minutes. It was just a bit stronger than October's, in the building where I was for both. Finally got my books all back on the bookshelf. :/
      Last edited by beaker; August 13, 2007, 10:20 PM.

Comment

My number two son is staying the summer with his Granny in Keaau. I think he's having an unforgettable vacation.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Rockin' and Rollin' in Hilo!

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          there we were (still are, actually) watching SYTYCD and blitzed straight into the clear yard. Pele vs Flossie...damned b*tches, I tell ya!

5.3 on the richter, underneath Eden Rock...
          Pele must be pissed off about all the pakalolo out in those boonies. Or the fact that they rip and roll the entire acre....but sell off the treeferns or grind them first into expen$ive potting soil.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Whoa, Beaker!! You are blowing my mind here. You say that this 5.4 felt ~stronger~ than the two Oct. quakes that were both well above a six magnitude?!

Well, I do know there are different types of quakes, dang. Were you in the same location back in Oct. that you were for tonight's quake? still..huge difference in a 5.4 and a 6.4, for example, HUGE.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
              You say that this 5.4 felt ~stronger~ than the two Oct. quakes that were both well above a six magnitude?!
              I believe the epicenter was closer then the Oct 15th one.

Comment

Re: Rockin' and Rollin' in Hilo!

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                Never thought i'd say this, but I'm glad I'm going home next week.

Comment

Ah, closer to the eppie, that'd do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X