Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hurricane Flossie

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    You all seem so disappointed that disaster didn't hit the Big Island. Did you stop to think how pathetic that is?
    What?! I didn't see any "disappointment" whatsoever. You'll need to point us specifically to whichever posts you're referring to.
    And while it looks like we're safe, I'd recommend waiting a couple of more days before claiming we're 100% safe. Hurricanes are historically unpredictable and many of them have re-formed after initially falling apart... kinda like this satellite loop image from just a few minutes ago, which clearly does show some re-forming of Flossie. (Look for the darker colors expanding.)
    And that's happening exactly where the sea temp graphic shows warmer water.
    Cautious optimism. That's what I'm feeling.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      It's interesting to watch how quickly Flossie disintegrated.
      Look at that link again, as it also shows the dark red re-forming, as I just said in my reply above this one.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Hurricanes are historically unpredictable and many of them have re-formed after initially falling apart... kinda like this satellite loop image from just a few minutes ago, which clearly does show some re-forming of Flossie. (Look for the darker colors expanding.)
        I don't see it reforming. Where is the circular motion? Where is the eye?

I think there's another way of interpreting the change in colors. Color is temp. Not windspeed.

Comment

Look at that link again, as it also shows the dark red re-forming, as I just said in my reply above this one.
          Wasn't there a hurricane that hit Florida, rebuilt in the Gulf of Mexico, and turned around to hit Florida again?

Oh, and I wouldn't say disappointment, but some posts do seem to be sounding like they wanted to see more rain or winds. I wouldn't blame them especially when you went through all the hard work of prepping. But I think these same folks are happy it was a dud than a bomb.

Comment

I will say this: the most eerie part of the Flossie experience has been the complete and utter lack of breeze for three days' straight. It is never this still, never. Ever ever. I've been on the Kona side many times where it is still like this, and the sensation always freaks me a little. But in my neck of the woods, nope. We always get breeze. I look up in the forest and always see movement and for the last three days, none! Very weird to me.

I have lived through many tropical wind storms, but never, in my entire life, have I seen a hurricane, eye and all, traverse my isle.

Gotta be Pele who pushed Flossie off!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
              You, a newcomer to the islands, suggest we start a thread to mock the threat this hurricane poses to us.

While you're on the Big Island, no less.

No respect.
              Nah...just makin light of a situation that was scary, but now hopefully isn't.

Having an earthquake the night before didn't help things seem any less threatening.

I've been thru hurricanes in my life....they're no joke. Hawaii isn't the only place that gets these kinds of storms, and I have plenty respect for the islands, and am quite aware of the danger these kinds of storms impose to the people here.

It was definitely good to see everyone get so prepared, so much ahead of time. It was just odd to see such a panic going on with people buying water and stuff while there was no evidence of any sort to indicate that this storm would be threatening. It was just another partly rainy day in Hilo.

In the hurricanes I've been in, there is usually some sort of precursor bad weather leading up to the storm, but because of this being an island surrounded by ocean, I guess storms can just swoop in with no evidence or former path of destruction.

The hurricanes I've experienced on the east coast, work their way up the coast, and hit other places first (unless you live in Florida, then it's similar to here). Here, that's not an option due to it being just a chain of small islands, so I guess when the weather says "hurricane" you just have to batten down,wait it out, and hope it changes course.( or, as some have suggested, get beat down by pele)

It was a good learning experience for sure.
              Last edited by tikiyaki; August 15, 2007, 08:08 AM.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                I don't see it reforming. Where is the circular motion? Where is the eye?
                Okay, it's the beginning of a possible re-forming. Definitely worth keeping an eye on those two links.

I think there's another way of interpreting the change in colors. Color is temp. Not windspeed.
                Of course.
                Q: And warmer temps are the foundation of... ?
                A: Hurricanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  I will say this: the most eerie part of the Flossie experience has been the complete and utter lack of breeze for three days' straight. It is never this still, never. Ever ever. I've been on the Kona side many times where it is still like this, and the sensation always freaks me a little. But in my neck of the woods, nope. We always get breeze. I look up in the forest and always see movement and for the last three days, none! Very weird to me.

I have lived through many tropical wind storms, but never, in my entire life, have I seen a hurricane, eye and all, traverse my isle.

That eeriness is what Cali folks refer to as "earthquake weather"

Ma Nature made good on that one tho'.

But, yea, the total lack of wind over here in Hilo was WEEIIRD. That's what made me say "WHAT frikken hurricane ?" . Like I said in the above post, it's hard to believe there is any hurricane coming in a few hours when there is NO wind at all. Very strange.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I'm glad it's ova. And I Blogged it!
                    http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1144

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Q: And warmer temps are the foundation of... ?
                      A: Hurricanes.
                      Warmer ocean temps, yes. But frankly I don't know what that IR picture represents. From the detail, I think the feature you're looking at is the temp of the clouds. Warmer clouds suggest weakening since hurricanes get their power from warm water and cold air. For all I know that's Flossie puking her guts out as she dies.

What's really needed here is a meteorologist who can explain what's going on. This isn't a simple "red is bad" picture.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        Wasn't there a hurricane that hit Florida, rebuilt in the Gulf of Mexico, and turned around to hit Florida again?

Oh, and I wouldn't say disappointment, but some posts do seem to be sounding like they wanted to see more rain or winds. I wouldn't blame them especially when you went through all the hard work of prepping. But I think these same folks are happy it was a dud than a bomb.
                        I think you're thinking of Ivan, it came up the Gulf, hit the edge of the panhandle of Florida...went way up inland to Virginia, then came back down the coast (still inland a bit)...through the panhandle again then crossed over to Louisianna near Texas.

Jeanne was crazy loopy too, but all that was out to sea for the most part.

If Flossie stays on the predicted path it probably will just continuing breaking apart...however if it starts heading further south, there's a area that looks to be wanting to start spinning (look at the sat animation)...that 'could' kick it up again. Whether it'd loop up again to aim for the Kauai/Oahu section or continue out to sea would be dependent on that west to east flow strength showing in the animation.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/tpac/loop-vis.html

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          I think you're thinking of Ivan, it came up the Gulf, hit the edge of the panhandle of Florida...went way up inland to Virginia, then came back down the coast (still inland a bit)...through the panhandle again then crossed over to Louisianna near Texas.

Jeanne was crazy loopy too, but all that was out to sea for the most part.

If Flossie stays on the predicted path it probably will just continuing breaking apart...however if it starts heading further south, there's a area that looks to be wanting to start spinning (look at the sat animation)...that 'could' kick it up again. Whether it'd loop up again to aim for the Kauai/Oahu section or continue out to sea would be dependent on that west to east flow strength showing in the animation.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/tpac/loop-vis.html
                          Yup - actually I believe both Ivan and Jeanne did that. My family lives at ground zero for all of those. Can't remember which one - Ivan or Jeanne. But one was downgraded to a tropical storm before it turned around. Did more damage than the actual hurricanes. Three years later and people still have blue tarp roofs from that.

Comment

I'm glad it seems to be going away, but I'll admit I'd like to have seen some nice steady drenching rain to refill reservoirs, alleviate drought conditions, and help put out that fire in Waialua or wherever.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                              Yup - actually I believe both Ivan and Jeanne did that. My family lives at ground zero for all of those. Can't remember which one - Ivan or Jeanne. But one was downgraded to a tropical storm before it turned around. Did more damage than the actual hurricanes. Three years later and people still have blue tarp roofs from that.
                              Me too. I'm keeping an eye on Dean right now, Katrina knocked a tree top into my brother-in-law's roof as it passed through south Florida. My step daughter lives on Roanoak Island North Carolina, another hurricane prone area.

Comment

...with help from...
                                ::::::brazen stare towards the SE:::::::

Comment

Working...
                                X