Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Flossie

Flossie's current position...

The weather in Honolulu this morning has that "calm before the storm" aura to it (almost ZERO wind), with cloud forms that appear to be distant spin-off from Flossie.

I'll get some pics of surf impact at China Walls on Tuesday.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Storm Systems

This morning Hurricane Flossie has been upgraded to a Category 4 storm:

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=6087

Maximum sustained winds @ 132 mph.

Hopefully this thing will weaken in the next few days and stay south.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      This morning Hurricane Flossie has been upgraded to a Category 4 storm[...]
      Whether Flossie hits us or not, I'm now wondering whether I'm safer in a 2nd floor, oceanfront condo where evacuation means only 1 flight of stairs if the electricity goes out...or...a condo on the 19th floor with wall to wall picture windows that face north where evacuation means 18 flights of stairs. If no evacuation, then one risks getting trapped inside (assuming one isn't outside!) with no electricity for an undetermined amount of time.

If Flossie does change course and hit us, the time frame mentioned in the link is the exact time frame I've arranged to stay in my daughter's 36th floor condo that faces the ocean as Monday is the day my bathtub gets refinished and I can't use it for 3 days!!!

Decisions...decisions...

Comment

Updated via hawaii weather edu...as of 1153am, radar shows hurricane making very slight but significant turn to the northwest or slight mauka ewabound...I dont think this hurricane is to be taken lightly...despite others in the recent past...you can clik the pix and you can see the motion of it on http://weather.hawaii.edu

Despite its name, it not be taken so humorously...cuz it may pack a punch IF it decides to NAIL Hawaii...

Comment

Thank you for the university map link! Do you or anyone have a link to the most recent measurements of Sea Surface Temps? the ones I found last years are so vague, just colored areas that represent temps. I mean I am asking for a list of the temps around us, sorry, as I do see the other map on that page should be representative of what I am asking for. then again maybe not, but there are cooler and warmer areas, per the color. help! LOL
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Here's that forecast from 11 AM from the NOAA:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/p...ata/HFO/TCPCP2

Next forecast is at 5:PM HST.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Not encouraging is this quote from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center regarding the Flossie forecast
              "LONG RANGE OUTLOOK:
              NOTE...ERRORS FOR TRACK HAVE AVERAGED NEAR 250 NM
              ON DAY 4 AND 350 NM ON DAY 5... AND FOR INTENSITY
              NEAR 20 KT EACH DAY."
              I'm concerned that they offer no prognostic reasoning for the forecast.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Whether Flossie hits us or not, I'm now wondering whether I'm safer in a 2nd floor, oceanfront condo where evacuation means only 1 flight of stairs if the electricity goes out
                I think you'd want to be somewhere where you don't have to evacuate. I don't think I'd like to be ocean front. I'd be concerned the storm surge will rip though the bottom floors. Maybe your building can take it, maybe not. Even if it stays standing, all that damage on the bottom floor probably means a long time before utilities can be restored.

With the 19th floor, you can ride out the storm and see what your options are.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I think you'd want to be somewhere where you don't have to evacuate. I don't think I'd like to be ocean front. I'd be concerned the storm surge will rip though the bottom floors. Maybe your building can take it, maybe not. Even if it stays standing, all that damage on the bottom floor probably means a long time before utilities can be restored.

With the 19th floor, you can ride out the storm and see what your options are.
                  Thanks, GG. That's helpful.

My Makaha condo building was the hardest hit building on Oahu during Iniki. It ceased being oceanfront and became an island onto itself!!! My 2nd floor unit was only a half floor above the water for a short while. The homes directly across Farrington Hwy. were also damaged by the surge. Yes, the buildings in my complex withstood the storm. And, yes, every ground floor unit was wiped out. The surge blew out all the ocean facing, sliding glass door walls on that floor, raced thru the units and blew out the bedroom windows at the rear of each unit, the water continuing across the property and across the highway. When it retreated, bathtubs, major appliances and furniture were sucked out and deposited on the beach. I think I got electricity back within 4-5 days or so. Can't remember exactly. I was on the mainland at the time and got an emergency flight back the next day.

I don't mind riding out the storm on the 19th or 36th floor. My biggest concern is being trapped by no electricity. There's always the fire exit, I s'pose!

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, I'm just like everyone else here -- watching the "updates" on the storm tracking and hearing from my hubby that our Costco is starting to feel the effects of the possibility of anything major hitting us -- unlike back in '92 when we didn't have a Costco!

I wonder too if my 2-story condo unit that was built back in the 1970's (and which surprisingly came through Iniki quite well!) will withstand another one!

This is what you get when you have a day to watch TV and putz around on the computer -- too much info on a might-be storm!

Malama Pono,

Comment

NOAA's current GOES image shows Flossie steering further north-west towards that 15th latitude line, which is worth some concern. There's a prominent "eye", so she's really turnin' n' burnin'.

Current conditions in Waikiki are completely covered overcast with a slight breeze. Surf is about 2-3 feet, with some rather nice right pitches. There were also some rain squalls about a mile off-shore that came and went.

Back to you Joe.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        [...]Back to you Joe.
                        Roving weather reporter, tutusue, here. Joe's indisposed at the moment!

Manoa Valley was socked in most of the time that I was at home today. Spent some time in Kakaako, Kahala and Moiliili. Saw a few drizzles but not enough to turn on the windshield wipers but for one, quick, wipe. It currently looks like it might be raining towards downtown. This can't be Flossie related...can it? As a roving weather reporter you'd think I'd know what the h3!! I was talking about!

Where's Guy when I need him?!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          This can't be Flossie related...can it? Where's Guy when I need him?!!!
                          I'm a guy, so I'll answer that one, Tutu. It's too early to feel any effects of Flossie, even from its outer fringes. Ditto for Sunday. Monday, maybe but probably not. Tuesday, probably yes.
                          It's too soon to be more than just somewhat concerned. By Sunday night we'll have a much better feel for strength and direction and potential impact.
                          Back to you in the studio.
                          Joe? Joe?! Get off the throne, dammit! We're live in three... two... one...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Hurricane Flossie

Look at the radar image at this link and you can clearly see that today's clouds aren't part of Hurricane Flossie.

Comment

And at this link is an animated satellite image of Flossie.

Comment

Working...
                              X