Hurricane Flossie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hurricane Flossie

Some fishermen friends of mine in Kauai tell me there's some algae blooms off their southern shores which indicates warm water conditions. Good for fishing, bad for evading a hurricane. Looks like Flossie could build itself up again to a higher catagory just in time for Kauai...again.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

• Re: National coverage of Hurricane Flossie: Saimin

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      And beer and cigarettes are a traditional Hawaiian dessert!
      Well, beer is, anyway.
      I knew I forgot something on the list, gotta call NOE and remind her to buy beer!
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Tonight's 2 a.m. advisory is going to be an important one for Oahu residents.

Comment

Better stock up on D-cells. We ran out of them. I've been recommending to our customers to buy the LED flashlights that use C or AA batteries. With today's LED technology and higher capacity batteries, you can get longer run times with an LED flashlight and because they use less current than incandescent bulbs (whether they're standard, xenon, krypton or halogen) you can use smaller less expensive batteries such as C and AA batteries.

Home Depot carries a wide variety of LED Husky flashlights and a 36-pack of Energizer batteries run just under $12.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Better stock up on D-cells. We ran out of them. I've been recommending to our customers to buy the LED flashlights that use C or AA batteries. With today's LED technology and higher capacity batteries, you can get longer run times with an LED flashlight and because they use less current than incandescent bulbs (whether they're standard, xenon, krypton or halogen) you can use smaller less expensive batteries such as C and AA batteries.

Home Depot carries a wide variety of LED Husky flashlights and a 36-pack of Energizer batteries run just under $12.
            Hey shouldn't that last sentence post be under the SELLING?

We went to Office Depot to get batteries D size batteries, not cheaper just knew they'd have it in stock and it was convenient.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

If any of you is planning to attend commencement exercises for Hawaii Pacific University on Thursday, there's a change in venue:

Due to the unpredictable weather conditions, the Aug. 16 commencement ceremony venue has been changed, as per President Chatt Wright.

The ceremony will now be held at the Blaisdell Concert Hall, 777 Ward Ave., Honolulu, HI 96814. Lot parking charge is $3 for each in and out.

Rehearsal will be held at 9:30 a.m. that morning. The ceremony will be held promptly at 6:30 p.m. that evening.

For more information, call 544-9358. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

source: Jamie Kemp, Administrative Support Operations.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm just mesmerized by the animated weather image posted earlier. With all the northward activity south of the islands, and that odd bit of southeast moving weather northeast of Kauai (at this moment, it looks like it's actually forming a little wall!), I get the distinct impression that Flossie will be traveling further north than previously estimated. As in, it may do a little island hopping tour!

And that little patch "behind" Flossie sure seems to be getting bigger and redder...

Comment

Like I said in another thread, Kauai is experiencing warmer waters off the southern coast. fishermen reporting algae blooms out there.

Comment

Just got off of the phone with a friend who lives in the Kealakehe area (Kona) and he said, "Nothing.......yet." But, he relayed that his friends in South Point is in his words, "Getting hit." Anyone in South Point?
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

I get home, and this and all the other Flossie threads are constantly being updated with posts...and all of a sudden, it's quiet. I'm worried, where'd everyone go?
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Here's a projected course...
                        http://www.weather.com/maps/news/epa...pWx_undeclared
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Adding in the 5pm advisory (26).

date and time (HST); advisory bulletin; latitude longitude of eye; distance from Hilo; distance from Honolulu

08/13 11 am; #21; 15.3N 150.6W; 425 miles SE; 635 miles SE
                          08/13 2 pm; #21A; 15.6N 151.5W; 365 miles SE; 570 miles SE
                          08/13 5 pm; #22; 15.9N 152.0W; 330 miles SE; 535 miles SE
                          08/13 8 pm; #22A; 16.2N 152.5W; 295 miles SE; 500 miles SE
                          08/13 11 pm; #23; 16.4N 153.2W; 260 miles SE; 455 miles SE
                          08/14 2 am; #23A; 16.6N 153.5W; 240 miles SSE; 440 miles SE
                          08/14 5 am; #24; 16.9N 154.1W; 205 miles SSE; 390 miles SE
                          08/14 8 am; #24A; 17.0N 154.4W; 190 miles SSE; 370 miles SE
                          08/14 11 am; #25; 17.3N 154.9W; 165 miles S; 340 miles SE
                          08/14 2pm; #25A; 17.4N 155.2W; 160 miles S; 320 miles SE
                          08/14 5pm; #26; 17.5N 155.5W; 155 miles S; 305 miles SSE

Comment

Just got back from Hookena Beach. Flat surf with a rising tide. Perfect for the keiki. Milky soup cirrus in the upper atmosphere. Further south, somebody had a nice rubbish fire burning to indicate winds up mauka, and 15 miles south. Smoke was going straight up.

Dead calm still in Kealia right now. And dry as a bone.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

• Re: Storm Systems

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              On this morning's news, they said commercial airlines would fill their aircraft up with fuel to weight them down on the tarmac when the hurricane approaches. For a cat-2 some distance off-shore perhaps. But if it were a category 3 or higher, sound kinda' iffy that would keep even a larger aircraft such as a 767 (plus fuel) put; not to mention the added fire hazard potential.
                              I think they usually just fly the airplanes away as logistically its much easier to do. Usually they load them with evacuees as well. The incoming flights get cancelled. Affected airports become ghost towns. I remember during Iniki Lihue airport looked like the fall of Saigon. Hawaiian and Aloha were going around the clock evacuating until the FAA closed the airport.

Comment

Eyewall is re-organinzing

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/ra...9&avg_off=9999

Comment

Working...
                                X