Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hurricane Flossie

Originally posted by beaker View Post
    It is dead quiet in Hilo. Dead boring, as well. ...zzZZzzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzz.....
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....you ain't kiddin'

How many dvd's can one watch in a night ?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sue glad I bought 800 D cell batteries and 500 gallons of water. I don't know how I would've survived without it.

Perhaps it's time to start the Flossie Joke Thread ?
    Last edited by tikiyaki; August 14, 2007, 10:40 PM.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Here she is from the current Pacific wide angle view...

Once again, here she was on Sunday as a Cat-4..

KHON's Justin Cruz commented this evening that "Flossie" is commonly used as a nickname to Florence.

Which has all the similarity to the name Richard having the nickname "D#ck". (rhymes with TICK)

Soooo, any chance they'll ever name a hurricane "D#ck"? Imagine being hit by "D#ck". The jokes on late night TV and at the news stations would be endless.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
        Perhaps it's time to start the Flossie Joke Thread ?
        You, a newcomer to the islands, suggest we start a thread to mock the threat this hurricane poses to us.

While you're on the Big Island, no less.

No respect.

Comment

You all seem so disappointed that disaster didn't hit the Big Island. Did you stop to think how pathetic that is? Be grateful that many of our friends are OK and things are fine.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            You all seem so disappointed that disaster didn't hit the Big Island. Did you stop to think how pathetic that is? Be grateful that many of our friends are OK and things are fine.
            While we're not out of the woods yet, things are looking better than expected. I, for one am VERY grateful it's going that way, and not getting worse.

I have my own renovations to finish (yeah Tutu, not done yet!). I don't care to go to mom's place and have to do more fixing up there, which would certainly be the case, as they're right in an inundation zone off Maunalua Bay, where Iniki caused storm surge water damage to the house back in '92.

Plus, not sure about anyone else, but I VALUE having electricity!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              How can you make such a blanket statement? I certainly don't want anything bad to happen to people on the Big Island or anywhere in the state. I have family and friends there who I contacted several times today to get reports on what was happening. I was happy to hear them say "nothing happening" and in relation to Hurricane Flossie, that is indeed good news.

And yes, we are still totally not out of the woods yet. But at this time things are looking really good that we mostly dodged a major bullet here.

Just for the record, here is the 11:00 bulletin:

BULLETIN
              TROPICAL STORM FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 27
              NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092007
              1100 PM HST TUE AUG 14 2007

...THE HURRICANE WATCH FOR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII HAS BEEN CANCELLED...

...A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...

AT 1100 PM HST...0900Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 17.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 156.4 WEST OR ABOUT 175 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF HILO...HAWAII AND ABOUT 280 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF HONOLULU.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE OVERNIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 70 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. CONTINUED WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 90 MILES FROM THE CENTER.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

TROPICAL STORM FLOSSIE DISCUSSION NUMBER 27
                1100 PM HST TUE AUG 14 2007

STRONG VERTICAL SHEAR IS NOW TEARING FLOSSIE APART.

HURRICANE FLOSSIE SURPRISED US BY MAINTAINING ITS STRENGTH AS LONG AS IT DID...BUT THE SYSTEM HAS WEAKENED RAPIDLY OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS...AND IS NOW DOWN TO TROPICAL STORM STRENGTH.
                AIRCRAFT RECONNAISSANCE SHOWED THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAD RISEN TO 993 MB AT 0513 UTC AND SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWED THE TOPS OF THE SYSTEM SHEARING OFF TO THE NORTHEAST. THE LOW LEVEL CLOUD CENTER IS NOW EMERGING ON THE SOUTHWEST SIDE OF THE HIGH CLOUDS. WITH STRONG SHEAR CONTINUING OVER FLOSSIE WE ARE FORECASTING STEADY WEAKENING WITH ONLY A REMNANT LOW REMAINING BY 120 HOURS.

Looking at the graphic representation, as far as winds, I'd say it's over. It's no longer a hurricane, the winds are weaker. The >39MPH winds are no longer touching the BI. And it's shifted south. I'm sure the Tropical Storm Warning will be canceled shortly.

Wish I could see the picture as far as rain.

Comment

<yawn> Tuned in to the Weather Channel this morning at 6:30 a.m. Pacific (3:30 a.m. your time...I only got 3 hours' sleep because of that danged cup of white chocolate mocha I had last night at around 7 p.m.!) and the reporter, who was in Naalehu, really looked like he could have been standing anywhere in the world in the dark...there was no wind, no rain, no nothing. So I guess the Big Island was spared this time.

But I bet there are some really "killah" waves on all the South Shore beaches in the 'aina today!

Craig: I wonder how many returns you guys are going to have to process over the next couple of days from people returning all their disaster supplies?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

yep, the weather service said hawaii dodged a bullet. thank god!

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder View Post
                      yep, the weather service said hawaii dodged a bullet. thank god!
                      Thank God! I was getting really worried when I saw it as a Category 3-4 heading toward the Big Island.

And that's the story of the hurricane. The storm the authorities came to blame!
                      Last edited by Vanguard; August 15, 2007, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Bulletin #28 from NOAA Hawaii.

BULLETIN
                        TROPICAL STORM FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 28
                        500 AM HST WED AUG 15 2007

...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII HAS BEEN CANCELLED...

AT 500 AM HST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 17.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 157.9 WEST OR ABOUT 270 MILES SOUTH OF HONOLULU...HAWAII.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 15 MPH AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. CONTINUED WEAKENING IS FORECAST.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES FROM THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1005 MB...29.68 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 500 AM HST POSITION...17.4 N...157.9 W. MOVEMENT
                        TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 15 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH.
                        MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1005 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER AT 1100 AM HST.
                        Can we declare this thing just about over?
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Still, sticky, and humid in Central O'ahu. But I guess I'll take it over blackouts, flooding, and gale-force winds. It's interesting to watch how quickly Flossie disintegrated. But it sure held on longer than earlier forecasts predicted.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            (and gosh, I wish they'd stop typing in all caps!)
                            A holdover from the days of TeleType, the noisy old banging machines that only used upper-case letters.
                            Originally posted by mel View Post
                            Can we declare this thing just about over?
                            That's good. Yeah, it's a lot of hassle to prep for something that fizzled out - but certainly preferable to many of the alternatives (little-to-no prep and/or loss of life and property.) Glad to hear that you can start winding back down from this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                              And that's the story of the hurricane. The storm the authorities came to blame!
                              For somethin that it almost done.
                              Put in a prison cell, but one time it could-a been
                              The wrecker of the world.

Comment

If there can be a "good" thing about hurricanes, it's that thanks to the weather satellites and as imperfect as the meterologists still are at prognostication, we at least have some advance warning so we can prepare for the bad weather. The same thing can't be said about earthquakes, so the best thing to do is to be prepared in advance for these acts of God.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X