Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Flossie

Exclamation Re: Hurricane Flossie

Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Default Re: Hurricane Flossie

Adding in the 5pm advisory (26).

date and time (HST); advisory bulletin; latitude longitude of eye; distance from Hilo; distance from Honolulu

08/13 11 am; #21; 15.3N 150.6W; 425 miles SE; 635 miles SE
    08/13 2 pm; #21A; 15.6N 151.5W; 365 miles SE; 570 miles SE
    08/13 5 pm; #22; 15.9N 152.0W; 330 miles SE; 535 miles SE
    08/13 8 pm; #22A; 16.2N 152.5W; 295 miles SE; 500 miles SE
    08/13 11 pm; #23; 16.4N 153.2W; 260 miles SE; 455 miles SE
    08/14 2 am; #23A; 16.6N 153.5W; 240 miles SSE; 440 miles SE
    08/14 5 am; #24; 16.9N 154.1W; 205 miles SSE; 390 miles SE
    08/14 8 am; #24A; 17.0N 154.4W; 190 miles SSE; 370 miles SE
    08/14 11 am; #25; 17.3N 154.9W; 165 miles S; 340 miles SE
    08/14 2pm; #25A; 17.4N 155.2W; 160 miles S; 320 miles SE
    08/14 5pm; #26; 17.5N 155.5W; 155 miles S; 305 miles SSE

Just got back from Hookena Beach. Flat surf with a rising tide. Perfect for the keiki. Milky soup cirrus in the upper atmosphere. Further south, somebody had a nice rubbish fire burning to indicate winds up mauka, and 15 miles south. Smoke was going straight up.

Dead calm still in Kealia right now. And dry as a bone.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Default Re: Storm Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    On this morning's news, they said commercial airlines would fill their aircraft up with fuel to weight them down on the tarmac when the hurricane approaches. For a cat-2 some distance off-shore perhaps. But if it were a category 3 or higher, sound kinda' iffy that would keep even a larger aircraft such as a 767 (plus fuel) put; not to mention the added fire hazard potential.
    I think they usually just fly the airplanes away as logistically its much easier to do. Usually they load them with evacuees as well. The incoming flights get cancelled. Affected airports become ghost towns. I remember during Iniki Lihue airport looked like the fall of Saigon. Hawaiian and Aloha were going around the clock evacuating until the FAA closed the airport.

where IS this b*tch?? Hurry up, already! Lots of rain, but no breeze whatsoever. I *hate* that! ::::::brazen stare towards the SE:::::::

pax

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

It's just past 6pm and the weather here in Keaau down by the ocean is about the same all day. Heavy overcast conditions with sporadic rain. But still NO WIND! The shoreline is typical choppy conditions but no waves over five feet yet. Otherwise typical ocean conditions right now.

Been watching KGMB's coverage of Flossie, amazing as it is we still have satellite reception. Usually when it get's this bad (weatherwise) we lose our satellite signal, but right now it's solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    where IS this b*tch?? Hurry up, already! Lots of rain, but no breeze whatsoever. I *hate* that! ::::::brazen stare towards the SE:::::::
    She's flossing around?

But on a more serious note, isn't it better a dud than a bomb?

Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    She's flossing around?

But on a more serious note, isn't it better a dud than a bomb?
    Oops - see my post under preparations.......

My Twitter Friend dcb97 posted a Video on YouTube of a weird pink sunset!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay4MnQKFq-o

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    My Twitter Friend dcb97 posted a Video on YouTube of a weird pink sunset!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay4MnQKFq-o

Auntie Lynn
    Yep that's Darren Charles of DC in the Mornings on B97, Hawaii's (the Big Island) classic music station...well classic music of the 70's 80's and 90's. Great morning jock.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Yep that's Darren Charles of DC in the Mornings on B97, Hawaii's (the Big Island) classic music station...well classic music of the 70's 80's and 90's. Great morning jock.
    Ok...that explains why I loved that guy's voice and thought if he wasn't a DJ he should be!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Ok...that explains why I loved that guy's voice and thought if he wasn't a DJ he should be!
    And he's such a nice guy too just like Guy Hagi. Both will spend the time to talk to you despite their hectic schedules.

Here's a Youtube video of DC in his natural surroundings at KWXX in Hilo

Sorry that's Darrin Carlson.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; August 14th, 2007 at 08:18 PM.

Just got off the phone talking to my folks in Honokaa on the Big Island. At this hour like most of their day, they said nothing significant is happening. Quiet, maybe a scatter of rain every now and then, and so far no significant wind.

As for Mr. D.C. in Hilo, everyone out in Honokaa was disappointed when he jumped ship from KKBG to KNWB. Hilo's KKBG or more popularly known as "KBIG" have an FM repeater in Honokaa, which brings in a clear signal at 106.1. KNWB does not, which means he lost many of his listeners out in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    And he's such a nice guy too just like Guy Hagi. Both will spend the time to talk to you despite their hectic schedules.[...]
    And not just talk. Guy did something very, very special for me on his own time. It's chronicled here. Scroll down to the 7/20/03 entry. There's another familiar name in addition to Guy's!

Well it's 8:45 Pm and it's simply BORING AS HELL out here in Keaau. Waiting for anything to happen and so far just a bit of rain, not even a power outage. My goodness even our wireless internet is running better than ever.

Pretty soon I'll just call it a night and watch the kids for day two of their unexpected two day holiday.

I really feel sorry for those who bought all those plywood sheets. I guess they'll be returning them tomorrow. Nail holes and all

Part of Advisory 26-A, issued at 8pm (and gosh, I wish they'd stop typing in all caps!):

HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN OUTER RAINBANDS MAY PRODUCE 10 INCHES OR MORE OF RAINFALL IN KAU DISTRICT ON THE BIG ISLAND TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY. SMALLER AMOUNTS...5 TO 10 INCHES...MAY FALL ON THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

AT 800 PM HST...0600Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 17.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 155.9 WEST OR ABOUT 95 MILES SOUTH OF SOUTH POINT...THE SOUTH TIP OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...AND ABOUT 310 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF HONOLULU.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT.

RECENT AIRCRAFT RECONNAISSANCE...SATELLITE AND RADAR OBSERVATIONS SHOW THAT THE EYE OF THE HURRICANE HAS DISAPPEARED...AN INDICATION THAT THE HURRICANE CONTINUES WEAKENING.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 85 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. FLOSSIE IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. CONTINUED WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES.

It may sound pretty good, but we all know it could easily change again. We're not out of the woods yet, but cautious optimism is starting to creep in.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

No Eye right now on the satellite pic.

Looks like this hurricane is turning into a HurriCAN'T.

Let's hope so. Definitely the wimpiest hurricane/storm I've ever been in.

Not inkling of wind, and just some rain, all day.

KITV 4 News reports tonight that by the 11PM Bulletin, Flossie will be downgraded to a tropical storm... winds are at 60 mph.

It is dead quiet in Hilo. Dead boring, as well. ...zzZZzzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzz.....
    Last edited by beaker; August 14th, 2007 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    It is dead quiet in Hilo. Dead boring, as well. ...zzZZzzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzz.....
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....you ain't kiddin'

How many dvd's can one watch in a night ?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sue glad I bought 800 D cell batteries and 500 gallons of water. I don't know how I would've survived without it.

Perhaps it's time to start the Flossie Joke Thread ?
    Last edited by tikiyaki; August 14th, 2007 at 10:40 PM.

Here she is from the current Pacific wide angle view...

Once again, here she was on Sunday as a Cat-4..

KHON's Justin Cruz commented this evening that "Flossie" is commonly used as a nickname to Florence.

Which has all the similarity to the name Richard having the nickname "D#ck". (rhymes with TICK)

Soooo, any chance they'll ever name a hurricane "D#ck"? Imagine being hit by "D#ck". The jokes on late night TV and at the news stations would be endless.

Quote Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
    Perhaps it's time to start the Flossie Joke Thread ?
    You, a newcomer to the islands, suggest we start a thread to mock the threat this hurricane poses to us.

While you're on the Big Island, no less.

No respect.

You all seem so disappointed that disaster didn't hit the Big Island. Did you stop to think how pathetic that is? Be grateful that many of our friends are OK and things are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    You all seem so disappointed that disaster didn't hit the Big Island. Did you stop to think how pathetic that is? Be grateful that many of our friends are OK and things are fine.
    While we're not out of the woods yet, things are looking better than expected. I, for one am VERY grateful it's going that way, and not getting worse.

I have my own renovations to finish (yeah Tutu, not done yet!). I don't care to go to mom's place and have to do more fixing up there, which would certainly be the case, as they're right in an inundation zone off Maunalua Bay, where Iniki caused storm surge water damage to the house back in '92.

Plus, not sure about anyone else, but I VALUE having electricity!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast