This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 4

An article in this morning's StarBulletin indicate that July was a good month for local interisland air carriers:

July strong for isle carriers
    Hawaiian, and Aloha and go! all cite high load factors

go!, which used promotions as low as $1 one way to boost seating on its 50-seat CRJ-200s, had a load factor of 82.7 percent in July that topped its year-earlier 73.9 percent -- its previous high for a full month of operation.

Hawaiian transported 656,044 passengers systemwide, up 14.8 percent from 571,569 a year earlier. Its available seat miles increased 19.2 percent to 833.3 million from 698.9 million, while its revenue passenger miles gained 16.8 percent to 728.5 million from 623.9 million.

Aloha Airlines, which is privately held, doesn't release its monthly traffic numbers, but spokeswoman Stephanie Ackerman said yesterday that the carrier's systemwide load factor was 84.2 percent in July, up from 78.2 percent a year earlier. Aloha flies 127-seat Boeing 737-200s interisland and 124-seat Boeing 737-700s to the mainland.
    The article also mentions the Hawaiian vs. Go lawsuit that is coming up next month. Whatever the outcome of that court case, for now I suggest that we all enjoy the low fares while they are still available.

Anything that goes wrong and squeezes one of these carriers out of the market, then for sure we will be paying $115 again each way for an interisland fare... and that definitely will bite!
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 3

Gotta be a cynic and ask, with Aloha being private and no official data being released, how trustworthy is info coming from a PR agent?

Comment

With all the excitement surrounding the hurricane and tonight's earthquake, I forgot to note that Go! was having another one of their $1 ticket sales, today only for travel tomorrow only + one full fare return. Now who wants to fly tomorrow?

Did not check if HA or AQ was matching.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Are they kidding!!!???? I would think all flights would be grounded.

Comment

On the KGMB news last night, it was stated that Hawaiian and Aloha were calling customers up and notifying that flights to the Big Island later today would probably be cancelled depending on the weather.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            With all the excitement surrounding the hurricane and tonight's earthquake, I forgot to note that Go! was having another one of their $1 ticket sales, today only for travel tomorrow only + one full fare return. Now who wants to fly tomorrow?

Did not check if HA or AQ was matching.
            Who would EVER actually WANT to fly go! on any day? Let alone tomorrow. I wouldn't fly on a CRJ ever epecially on wet days. I am not sure if they ever fixed that problem.

Comment

I flew on Go's CRJ 200 last year. Smooth as any other jet I been on. No problem. Quick boarding and exit; you get your bags faster after arrival. Several other people here have flown on Go.

It seems only the people tied in $ome way to the 2 major inter-island airlines always have something to pick on about Go.

Remember this, in a free capitalist society, competition is good.

Speaking of which, Go! continued their $1 sale today. Also Hawaiian matched with their $19 each way counter offer. I got an email from Hawaiian. As most here know, I usually prefer Hawaiian because I like their planes. However if the price is not right, then I'll fly another carrier, whether it be the one with the CRJ 200 or the aging Boeing 737-200.

Enjoy the ride.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I fail to see how any deficiency on a CRJ-200 is go's fault. Perhaps we should start bashing Hawaiian for using DC-10s a couple years back because the DC-10 was notorious for design flaws when they first came out?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  I fail to see how any deficiency on a CRJ-200 is go's fault. Perhaps we should start bashing Hawaiian for using DC-10s a couple years back because the DC-10 was notorious for design flaws when they first came out?
                  I did a quick google search to see if Mesa or Canadair ever fixed the problem with the CRJ and wet weather and instead of getting an answer guess what I found!

Commuter Jet Lands at Dulles. Well, Most of It.
                  (I didn't make up that headline, the Washington Post did! )

So anyway I don't trust Mesa not one bit. You get what you pay for. Mesa stock (NASDAQ: MESA) dropped another 10% today and hit its 4 year low. Other airline stocks have actually been doing very well. Even Hawaiian is up!

I am not sure why Mesa is dropping so much. Could it be the announcment last week that their own pilots are quitting in droves or is it the go! fiasco? I doubt a landing gear door falling into a park had anything to do with it but every day theres something hauna happening at Mesa. I would bet its dropping like a lead weight probably because the Hawaiian court case is coming up soon in September. I remember reading in the Star Bulletin that Mesa was caught stealing Hawaiian's trade secrets and then lied to a judge about it. There only defense was something like "I don't think they found any new islands in the last 75 years". Hopefully they go! before the same judge next month.

I am not loyal to either Hawaiian or Aloha. I know people who work for both but none of them are family or even really good friends. I like Hawaiian to the mainland but I think Alohas 737's are better for inter-island. I met a Aloha mechanic once at La Marianas who explained to me how the Aloha 737s are highly modified to take a serious beating and the problem now will never be metal fatigue again. Apparently Aloha uses so much metal reinforcement that now they are too heavy and just burn way too much fuel. Those old 737's might be extremely loud and burn way too much fuel but they are built like tanks. I like lots of metal around me when I fly. Not tin foil like those Canadaian pieces of junk that fall out of the sky into peoples back yards.

P.S. Douglas fixed the DC10 a long time ago but it never sold well after all those crashes. Great airplane though. I miss getting the entire center row by myself and crashing out on long trips. Those days are long gone!

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
                    I
                    P.S. Douglas fixed the DC10 a long time ago but it never sold well after all those crashes. Great airplane though. I miss getting the entire center row by myself and crashing out on long trips. Those days are long gone!
                    And then Boring bought McDonnell-Douglas out in 1997 (they called it a "merger" but it was really a buyout because soon after, all the new MD planes got rebranded as Boeing.).

Alaska Air still flies a few MD-80+s...and one of them crashed on a flight between Mexico and California about 7 years ago. The NTSB determined that a part in the tail assembly (the horizontal stabilizer trim system jackscrew assembly’s acme nut threads) failed. They blamed the failure on poor maintenance. Around that time, Alaska had just started outsourcing their aircraft maintenance to an outside vendor. The MD80/90 series had quite a few production flaws and incidents, even while being called one of the planes with the safest flying record, probably because of the large numbers that were sold/leased to the major carriers during its production run.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      I don't recall Hawaiian ever flying DC-10s on their mainland routes. I believe they used the Lockheed L-1011s.

Comment

Click here to see many photos of Hawaiian Airlines DC-10s

Hawaiian Air flew the DC-8, L-1011 and DC-10 on their out of state long distance routes before getting the Boeing 767.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
                          Commuter Jet Lands at Dulles. Well, Most of It.

"Airplanes are designed not to shed parts."
                          Not completely true. They are designed to shed engines in the event of catastrophic failure. Beats tearing off a wing.

Oh, and the part fell off a United Express, not a Mesa jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            The NTSB determined that a part in the tail assembly (the horizontal stabilizer trim system jackscrew assembly’s acme nut threads) failed. They blamed the failure on poor maintenance.
                            While the actions of the maintenance company got all the bad rap, the truth was, the maintenance schedule for inspection and lubrication had been extended a few times from the original specification. It had been extended too far.

Death by small changes.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              Click here to see many photos of Hawaiian Airlines DC-10s

Hawaiian Air flew the DC-8, L-1011 and DC-10 on their out of state long distance routes before getting the Boeing 767.

I stand corrected. Never flew Hawaiian to the mainland (generally went on United) until their L-1011 and 767 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X