Roadside Fundraising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadside Fundraising

I also find the roadside begging distasteful. It's one thing for a charity to use the nets as a donation drive, it's another to have kids do it as a fundraiser.

What kind of entitlement mentality does this foster?

On the other hand, a little girl came by to sell me books one evening as a fundraiser to pay for her school. I gave her a few bucks, declined the books and thought to myself... that girl will go far. If she comes back, I'll probably buy her books the next time. Effort like that should be rewarded.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I popped a coupla bucks into the Food Bank roadside net once

I could be wrong, but I think that's how this may have started. The food bank would hold drives and have drive-up drop-off locations at certain places. Naturally, there were people passing by who wanted to donate but hadn't thought ahead to put cans in the car so they gave money. The nets were a way of doing it quickly and safely. That was ok. It was in conjunction with the regular can drive and I think you had to pull out of traffic to donate. But it worked so well ...... the idea spread.

The biggest problem I have is how do I know the money will get to where they say it will. Every now and then you hear about a scam alert about some agency saying someone is going door to door in their name but they didn't authorize it. I'd rather send a check to the organization.

Fortunately I don't see too many of those cash fishing operations. I did see one a few weeks ago. People collecting money for a kidney transplant.

Comment

I was at the Ki Hoalu may years ago, and a woman was making her way through the crowd with a soda-can box in her arms. When she got to where I was sitting, she said, "I'm selling banana bread to raise money to I can attend my class reunion."

Of course that led to a short discussion about where and when she went to school. It seemed like a weird thing to be "fundraising" for, but in this case, she was just selling something in order to make a few bucks. Of course I bought as much as my budget would allow.

I hope she made it to Vegas.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
          Fundraiser people with the veritable "toll" to get into a supermarket a la - "would you like to buy some cookies (candy, sweetbread, whatever)?" - also irks me. I've seen them at the door of the place and kept driving to the next supermarket to shop. Don't know why places allow that. Drives me up the wall.
          I imagine bell-ringing Salvation Army volunteers and Santas fall into the same category?

While, like roadside fundraisers, storefront fundraisers seek to solicit you when you're really on your way somewhere else, at least they're catching me when I'm in a wallet-out, consumer mood. If I'm picking up some produce and a bag of Chips Ahoy, I'm more likely to grab some banana bread from the schoolkids at the door. If I've got a cart full of food, what's another $5 for some good-cause cookies?

And again, in most of those cases, you're getting something for your money (not that this should be your only motivation, but still -- the IRS is no doubt the motivator behind all kinds of giving!). Waving a net at me when I'm concentrating on driving and waiting to turn left isn't giving me anything but a rumbling desire to strangle someone.
          Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I hope the O.P. is reading this!
          Ha ha. Hey, like even Cataluna notes in her piece, many of the parents actually resent their given fundraising assignments. Some of those people waving nets on the roadside hate having to do it. Which, of course, a lot of us already annoyed drivers can sense, which really makes this stuff a lose-lose proposition.

As for my daughter's Girl Scout cookie sales at the door to WalMart? I suppose there are a lot of Dick's out there who growl and drive away, but there are also people that seek 'em out. When the Girl Scout website hadn't updated it's schedule of sales locations one week, there was hell to pay! I grant it can be annoying. But you just keep walking. And once again, if you do buy, at least you walk away with something worthwhile in your hands!
          Originally posted by mel View Post
          PBS TV beg-a-thons, HPR beg-a-thons, etc., etc.
          Well, in those cases, if you're already consuming their product, it seems reasonable that they take a little of your time to ask for some support. You can always change the channel, something that takes considerably less effort than dodging those morons on the street (or those damned cute little Girl Scouts!). I agree, as a member of both PBS Hawaii and HPR, that it sucks to have to put up with the fundraising breaks when they've already got my money, but considering that fewer than 10 percent of listeners actually open up their wallets, I don't begrudge them the regular effort to raise funds.

Comment

speaking of Fundraising...

im selling tickets for a benefit for (left name out, for med needs. she's fighting stage 4 ovarian cancer.. $20 a ticket.will get you food, drinks, entertainment....i forget what else...but if interested PM me....

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              You can always change the channel, something that takes considerably less effort than dodging those morons on the street (or those damned cute little Girl Scouts!). I agree, as a member of both PBS Hawaii and HPR, that it sucks to have to put up with the fundraising breaks when they've already got my money, but considering that fewer than 10 percent of listeners actually open up their wallets, I don't begrudge them the regular effort to raise funds.
              Yes, a quick channel change solves the problem, easier for NPR than PBS. For PBS it always seems their best rock concerts are shown during these beg-a-thon sessions... and that irks me. I want to watch the concert and not sit through ten minute blocks of pitches. This is worst than the 2 minute block on commercial TV.

And yes, I am one of the many who won't give to PBS or HPR since I don't watch them very often except for occasional bouts of Nature, Nova, Soundstage and Austin City Limits. Overall most of the types of programs on PBS are duplicated on less annoying cable TV channels like TLC, the History Channel, Animal Planet and Discovery.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                [...]I am probably a little more partial in contributing to the kinds of charities that I know about, like say the American Lung Association. I get the neat little stamps and Christmas Seals and I send them a few dollars by mail at least once a year. It's not as in your face as someone shoving a boot up to your car window.

I also like car washes and occasionally I'll use them because for the price I am paying, I know I will get something immediately in return. I also buy Zippy's chili from friends who have kids that are selling them for some ball club. I don't care if the kid is not selling them. I know when I buy the ticket I can go to Zippy's and get a hot bowl of chili. It benefits them, it benefits Zippy's too because I usually end up buying a bowl of rice to go with that, and of course me, since I got something to eat.
                A curiosity question, Mel. Are you opposed to giving to a reputable charity just for the pure sake of giving or are your donation dollars predicated on receiving something in return. Just curious.

Comment

Only once have I encountered this, which it was a Hawaii Food Bank food and money drive, where they had set up folks with scoop nets along McCully and Kapiolani Blvd, along the corners of Ala Wai Park and McCully Shopping Center.
                  It was highly publicized in TV news media to remind folks that it was a legitimate cause.

"Food" being the operative word, as they weren't just out for cash, but the actual root of the cause. Of course, I didn't have any canned goods in my car (maybe after this Hurricane stuff, I just might!), so instead gave them like $5 cash.

Never again have I seen this type of fundraising strategy by anyone else along my beaten east and west-bound driving path, which includes Nimitz hwy., Ala Moana blvd., Kapiolani blvd. and Kalaniana'ole hwy.. I'd certainly share the same peeved sentiments here if I had encountered "copy cats" doing the same thing all over the streets.

With that, GeckoGeek may be correct that Hawaii Food Bank was the organization who started this trend on Oahu, whom I don't fault for it, and I'd gladly give again to them if they were out there, and they again had the media support to back it up as a legitimate cause.

Not someone just looking for the next ticket to Vegas.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I could be wrong, but I think that's how this may have started. The food bank would hold drives and have drive-up drop-off locations at certain places. Naturally, there were people passing by who wanted to donate but hadn't thought ahead to put cans in the car so they gave money. The nets were a way of doing it quickly and safely. That was ok. It was in conjunction with the regular can drive and I think you had to pull out of traffic to donate. But it worked so well ...... the idea spread.

The biggest problem I have is how do I know the money will get to where they say it will. Every now and then you hear about a scam alert about some agency saying someone is going door to door in their name but they didn't authorize it. I'd rather send a check to the organization.

Fortunately I don't see too many of those cash fishing operations. I did see one a few weeks ago. People collecting money for a kidney transplant.
                  Last edited by Pomai; August 22, 2007, 09:22 AM. Reason: .org
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    When Safeway started their fundraising for the relay for life event, they would ask you if you'd like to donate to the cause with each purchase at the registers. Man I have a hard time saying no and every morning I'd buy a cup of coffee from Safeway before work I'd end up paying almost $7 for that cup of Joe. Needless to say after my coffees started costing more than an hour's worth of work I stopped going to Safeway and opted for McDonalds.
                    I hear what you are saying. I work for Safeway, and I know our cashiers just dread asking for donations...especially when it's one fundraising drive after another (ie. prostate research, then now it's MDA).
                    Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I imagine bell-ringing Salvation Army volunteers and Santas fall into the same category?
                      Theoretically, but they generally just sit there wailing on that stoopid bell. They won't jump in front of you, begging for cookie money. If I want to buy cookies, I'll walk over to the table, plunk down the cash and buy them. Some kid standing between me and my beer only makes me desire cookies that much less.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        A curiosity question, Mel. Are you opposed to giving to a reputable charity just for the pure sake of giving or are your donation dollars predicated on receiving something in return. Just curious.
                        I know it wasn't addressed to me, but I had to ask myself the same question. Here's what I came up with:

Charities fall within two broad types: altruistic and self-interest.

The altruistic are the ones like Salvation Army, Food Bank, Blood Bank, March of Dimes, MDA, etc, etc. They tend to be large "companies". For them, I'm perfectly content to write a check and get nothing in return. But at the same time I want to give in a way that I know the money will make it to the charity - not in cash that's easily skimmed. I am selective in making sure I give to a organization where the money goes to the cause, and not to the fundraisers. By in large, these tend to be self limiting as the folks raising the funds are volunteers themselves and aren't getting anything out of it but satisfaction.

The "self-interest" is the one where someone is raising money for their own cause - girl scouts, team uniforms, club fundraiser, project graduation, etc. For those, I'd like to seem them work for their money rather then ask for a handout. And that's for the reasons mentioned - to teach the "work for your money" lesson as these are nearly always kids (and their parents) raising money for themselves.

Comment

The true "altruistic" charities are the ones usually recognized by the IRS as "charities" and contributions to them are deductible as itemized deductions.

The rest, including school clubs and athletic teams (AYSO soccer, Little League, etc.) are NOT and contributions to them aren't eligible for deductions. Even though most people get to write them off since they don't get audited.

For me, I'll spring the bucks for Zippy's chili, sweet bread, candy, and other edibles. Just don't bring stuff like calendars. I'll buy cookbooks, too (check my shelf for all kinds of locally produced cookbooks).

I prefer to see the kids out there hustling and "earning" their funds. Nothing wrong with car washes - as a scouting parent leader, I've helped the boys wash my own cars at $10 per automobile.

The fish-netting has gotten put of hand. You often don't know who's behind it.
                          Last edited by oceanpacific; August 23, 2007, 02:14 AM.

Comment

This past weekend was the latest big push for roadside fundraising (and food-getting?) for the Hawaii Food Bank. And it still bothered me. Sure, the big media push helps you see that the drive is "legit," but frankly, the size and prominence of this effort makes it even more annoying and dangerous, in my opinion.

Crowds along the sidewalk. Orange cones set into the road to "set aside" a lane for donations. Large signs saying what's up, and directing people to the donation lane (prompting motorists to panic trying to get out or into said lane). Kids darting about -- which, even if they stayed on the sidewalk, makes drivers nervous. And people leaping into and out of traffic during red lights.

Seriously. If public safety officials made a decent case against political sign waving, how can this be anything but ten times worse? These people aren't just trying to get my attention. They want to interact directly with me and other drivers.

I support many charities, but none that do this sort of fundraising. (And I feel bad, because I know one of the organizers.) It's unsafe... and frankly somewhat unbecoming.

Comment

If public safety officials made a decent case against political sign waving, how can this be anything but ten times worse? These people aren't just trying to get my attention. They want to interact directly with me and other drivers.

I support many charities, but none that do this sort of fundraising. (And I feel bad, because I know one of the organizers.) It's unsafe... and frankly somewhat unbecoming.
                              What you say is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, there's the political reality.

The people who are in a position to outlaw this practice (state and city lawmakers) don't have the guts to do it. Anyone who proposes this kind of ban will be labelled as "heartless" by the charities.

I'll tell ya what will get the politicians off their butts: If a roadside fundraiser gets hurt/killed. By then, it's too late of course. But that's how politicians are. They would rather be reactive than be proactive when it comes to controversial legislation. More than the welfare of society, too many lawmakers are more concerned about getting re-elected.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Living near McCully, I had to drive thru that gauntlet more than once during the Foodbank fundraiser this past weekend. I also encountered the outstretched nets in Kahala as I ran errands. I have enough obstacles in the road to worry about without the additional burden of those fundraising volunteers, no matter how brightly colored and visible their vests may be.

I don't begrudge charities trying less subtle means for soliciting money, but watching those people with their nets weave in and out of traffic, while cars hold up others behind them, the drivers scrounging around for change in their purses/pockets, really makes me tense. I'm still waiting for an accident to occur one of these days. As the day goes on, I also suspect those net workers get more and more bold as they get more and more comfortable traipsing between car lanes without incident.

That very Sunday, after ignoring all the nets, I took my cans of food to Kahala Mall, where I was able to donate them in peace at the Food Bank table, instead of trying to navigate a large metal vehicle thru an intersection while having to avoid the usual traffic in addition to the net-wielding pedestrians.

There's an automatic guilt factor I have to fight every time I see those nets--I choose to donate many times a year thru various fundraising events I attend, so I don't like being made to feel like a miser when I see others donate from their cars. It's definitely a mind game that I don't appreciate. And I suspect it's probably even more annoying/frustrating/guilt-inducing for those having to drive thru, knowing that the punishing economic times are not allowing them to donate they way they might have in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X