Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Telcom rolling out HTSportsNet.com

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I think my biggest concern with TV over computer is how it looks. Will it be choppy? Small screen? A preview would be a good idea. Personally I'd have issues about paying for TV content on a computer. Mostly because most computer content is small and low-fi (think YouTube). If I'm paying for it, I want to to be at least SD broadcast TV.
    That's a good suggestion. I will see if we can post a sample. Right now we are streaming the program at about 300Kbps. It's okay but a little hard to follow the ball. If we pump it up to 500Kbps we might get better resolution but it will cost more for packet throughput.
    Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

I'm suspecting that one issue of TV on computer is the image size. That the computer screens are so small, but because computers screens are high-res. Even DVDs look small on my laptop unless I put it into full screen mode.

Not sure what you are using for a viewer that might allow that.

Another idea is there are IPTV set-top boxes out there. Have you thought about teaming up with such a service such that you can add this as a channel on their service? That may relieve you of some of the bandwidth issues, and it puts the picture on a TV instead of a computer where it will be compared to normal TV instead of computer graphics.

Comment

Another idea is there are IPTV set-top boxes out there. Have you thought about teaming up with such a service such that you can add this as a channel on their service? That may relieve you of some of the bandwidth issues, and it puts the picture on a TV instead of a computer where it will be compared to normal TV instead of computer graphics.
        Ostensibly I would figure when HawTels converts their network architecture to MPLS and rolls out IPTV service in the near future, teaming up with a third party IPTV service will be not necessary.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          Ostensibly I would figure when HawTels converts their network architecture to MPLS and rolls out IPTV service in the near future, teaming up with a third party IPTV service will be not necessary.
          For in-state viewers, yes. But they indicated their target is for this service is out-of-state people.

Comment

For in-state viewers, yes. But they indicated their target is for this service is out-of-state people.
            Whoops, yeah that might be a good idea then.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
            X