There goes the neighborhood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There goes the neighborhood?

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but the sale of a half-acre lot on the North Shore for a whopping $2.6 million dollars got my attention. New owners are Sean & Robin Penn. Former Mr. FHB Walter Dods and Mrs. Dod sold it to them. Would you spend (if you had it to spend) that much money for land anywhere? If so, where? I'm thinking about the answer to that.

Re: There goes the neighborhood?

For $2.6M it sounds like there might be a lotta oceanfront footage! At that price, there better be! If money was absolutely no object then, yah, I'd spend that big chunk o' change for an oceanfront lot. Then I'd build a family compound full of little grass shacks!

Comment

2.6 mil to Sean Penn is like 10 - 30K to any middle class working stiff like most of us.

In cases like this, the price is relative.

On the North Shore ? If I was him, with that kinda loot ?

Yea, no problem.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

If I had the money? I would buy as much land here as I could afford, to keep it in Hawaiian hands and away from all the retiring baby boomers.

Comment

About six months ago Sean and Robin were also rumored to have bought an oceanfront estate in Kailua for $24 million... and that rumor turned out to be false.
          Ergo, I question the veracity of any new rumor about them.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Since this is an "If I could..."

I'd prefer to buy some place up the hill (a stable hill), that has a great view of the ocean as well. That way I could go to the sea, but it shouldn't be able to reach me.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'd prefer to buy some place up the hill (a stable hill), that has a great view of the ocean as well. That way I could go to the sea, but it shouldn't be able to reach me.
              I agree 100%. I grew up on a hillside community and loved being near to the city, yet away from the hustle and bustle. The air temperature was always a little to a lot cooler; and you can see the ocean, but in general safe from a tsunami.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                About six months ago Sean and Robin were also rumored to have bought an oceanfront estate in Kailua for $24 million... and that rumor turned out to be false.
                Ergo, I question the veracity of any new rumor about them.
                I suppose it's possible that PBN printed a rumor, but I doubt it.

Comment

My dad lives on the beach. For the most part, it's as wonderful as you'd imagine.

Except, well, there's little things like sinkholes under your kitchen and erosion under your rock wall and drunk trespassers passing out on your lawn and neighborhood squabbles over rights of ways and neighborhood board meeting shouting matches over runoff and litter and permits and... oh yeah, the occasional tsunami threat or actual storm surge threatening to send your house floating away.

So, if money were no object? Yes, I'd splurge on a chunk of oceanfront land. But only as a long-term investment (hoping, of course, said oceanfront still exists in 20-30 years), for the equity. I'd actually live somewhere modest, inland, with a beautiful view (and a sturdy foundation... also something not guaranteed with some "cliffside" McMansions).

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                    I suppose it's possible that PBN printed a rumor, but I doubt it.
                    Ah. Yes, that changes things. Makes the story much more plausible.
                    (Sorry, but you didn't mention PBN earlier.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Link to PBN article
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post

An opposing POV: I don't like residing on top of hills, on the side of hills, or at the bottom of hills. I prefer the boring and mundane flat and level lots.

The reasons are insurance rates, gasoline consumption and automotive wear-and-tear, high winds (been on Mariner's Ridge lately?), erosion, potential loose boulders and rock slides.

My sister loves to, though, and is willing to "pay the price" for getting her "billion dollar views" of the Pacific Ocean and Honolulu City Lights far in the distance.

I guess I'm just a curmedgeon ................

Comment

Central Oahu's got enough view for me, and my wallet's happy, too.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                            Central Oahu's got enough view for me, and my wallet's happy, too.
                            DITTO! The Waianae mountains provide a vista to the west. And I get to stay here away from the massive morning traffic jams the majority of the time.

I even once had a view of Diamond Head from my second floor balcony........... framed by a utility pole and a tree. Other trees have grown to cover it. I could also see the fireworks display at Aloha Stadium in the distance.

Comment

Oceanpacific, do you also find that you gravitate to Central as much as possible? or am I just pitifully spoiled in avoiding heavy traffic? Our doctors, dentists, favorite stores are here, Waikele outlets and Pearlridge and I'm happy....I don't leave the general area for mos. on end. My gas tank is happy, too.
                              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                              X