There goes the neighborhood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There goes the neighborhood?

As much as I would love oceanfront property, I don't know if I could justify to myself spending that kind of money for anything. I like to think that if somehow I had that kind of money, I would do good with it. But the truth is, I don't know how I would react if I somehow suddenly found myself with that much expendable income. I do know that if I did find myself owning oceanfront property, I wouldn't want to develop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
      Oceanpacific, do you also find that you gravitate to Central as much as possible? or am I just pitifully spoiled in avoiding heavy traffic? Our doctors, dentists, favorite stores are here, Waikele outlets and Pearlridge and I'm happy....I don't leave the general area for mos. on end. My gas tank is happy, too.
      I've resided in Mililani (two shifts) for the better part of three decades. Three of the four major supermarkets are here, two LONG'S, movie theaters, Wal-Mart, City Mill, the banks, a full-service post office ......... and our own Zippy's! Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, Borders, K-Mart, Sam's Club are a short drive away. Aloha Stadium (for UH football) is within a reasonable distance.

Other than medical appointments in town, I don't need to venture far: don't visit Kahala Mall, Waikiki, or our faux Rodeo Drive.

Comment

If I had that kind of money to spend on only half an acre, I can think of two places I'd do it.

1. Cooperstown, New York, the home of the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's a small, quiet, rural town in northern New York (home also of the Farmers Museum and the [url=http://www.fenimoreartmuseum.org/]Fenimore House[/ur] (you knew there was a connection between James Fenimore Cooper and Cooperstown, of course!). Winters, I'd pay some local college-aged students to keep the house warm and functioning. Summers, I'd be in the heart of the most baseball town in America. I'd attend minor league games of the New York - Penn League (especially the Batavia Muckdogs, whose home games are played in Dwyer Stadium). The only major drawback I can see to retiring there is that it's not home.

2. A small lake in northern New York, close to Watertown. I know people who own houses on this lake, and I spent the best summer of my life there.

I would be TOTALLY overpaying for these lots, since there's now way they'd go for this kind of money. But I think they are worth it.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

$2.4 Million would buy a lot of ocean front land in Keaau. If it were to preserve land for Hawaiians I'd focus on spending it on ocean front lands where that kind of money buys a whole lot more than half an acre.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

for that cash I would trick out a yacht and do the globe!

pax

Comment

Beach front - too much work. Every things rusts. Wood rot. Lots of salt spray. Nah, give me a place up on the hill where I can watch the ocean and not worry about tsunami.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Beach front - too much work. Every things rusts. Wood rot. Lots of salt spray. Nah, give me a place up on the hill where I can watch the ocean and not worry about tsunami.
                Methinks if one can afford 2.6M for a half acre, oceanfront lot, one can also afford the ongoing upkeep...not to mention a small, live-in staff who'll also keep an eye on it when the owners are out of town!

OTOH...no amount of money can stop a tsunami.

I will say, tho', as an oceanfront dweller, I do think about hurricanes and tsunamis but I don't worry about the possibility. Sleeping next to the sound of the ocean is more than a fair trade-off for me. Negative ions rock!

Comment

Yes I would spend the money if I had it. Land is a good investment if you planned well.

Comment

Working...
                  X