The Boat - Honolulu's Commuter Ferry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boat - Honolulu's Commuter Ferry

I'm starting this thread just to discuss "The Boat" Honolulu's latest fling with a commuter ferry service. "The Boat" is supposed to compliment "The Bus" in helping moving commuters from the leeward area into Honolulu and back.

From this recent Honolulu Star-Bulletin article:

Oahu's intraisland commuter ferry from Kalaeloa to downtown Honolulu is set to begin next month, with the second of the two boats arriving next week.

The city pushed back the start date of Sept. 4 to sometime in the middle of next month to launch the long-awaited one-year demonstration project that will give Oahu's motorists a transportation alternative with hopes to alleviate traffic.

The two vessels, Rachel Marie and Melissa Ann, can carry up to 149 passengers. Mayor Mufi Hannemann has said the success of the ferry service depends on the ridership. However, the city has not set any goals yet.

Taking the ferry will be like riding TheBus -- it will cost $2 each way, including two transfers, or riders can use their bus pass. With the creation of several bus routes to shuttle riders to Kalaeloa Pier and Aloha Tower, Kaku estimates that the total travel time one way will take about an hour and a half.

The ferry service -- called TheBoat -- will cost the city $5 million to operate; the federal government has provided another $5 million. The creation of the new bus stops cost $1 million.
    Yes, this is a taxpayer financed pilot project. My question is will anyone use it? This is a cheaper alternative than fixed rail, but I have my doubts on whether or not people from the leeward coast will use this. I heard on the news the other night that Ewa Beach residents are not very happy because they have to first travel in the opposite direction first before they can board The Boat.

The last time in the 1990s when a commuter ferry was started, it lasted for I think less than a year and failed because of poor ridership. This time Mayor Mufi says this one may succeed because the schedule will be coordinated with "The Bus".
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: The Boat.... Honolulu's Commuter Ferry

Hmmm..they should have coordinated something with the Federal Government. As I've mentioned before Mel, my son-in-law and grandson, rides the Ferry from Iroquois Point to Pearl Harbor ~ M-F. It takes a mere 10-15 minutes.

The area where they get off in Pearl Harbor is Huge. Conveniently located on the Bus Line. For those who have cars, a safe parking area with 24/7 security.

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Isn't it overkill, "the Boat" and the rail, along with "The Bus?" I have not discussed "The Boat" with even one person in my 3D life. I haven't mentioned it but no one has, to me. hmmm.......good thread, Mel. This is something I had even forgotten about. I won't use it.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I'll probably catch it since my work is near Aloha Tower. But catching a bus west to Kalaeloa will be kinda tough, since my commute from the Waipahu Transit Center to Fort Street Mall is about 45 minutes.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Why don't we simply just urge the city gov't to drop the whole rail and commuter ferry thing, arrange a deal with Superferry, and use their two boats to do multiple morning and afternoon commuter runs? One boat can do West Oahu to downtown, the second boat can do Windward to downtown? Have the city realign bus routes to meet the ferry's stopping points and provide park-n-ride lots. People who still want to use their cars can take their cars by boat.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Why don't we simply just urge the city gov't to drop the whole rail and commuter ferry thing, arrange a deal with Superferry, and use their two boats to do multiple morning and afternoon commuter runs? One boat can do West Oahu to downtown, the second boat can do Windward to downtown? Have the city realign bus routes to meet the ferry's stopping points and provide park-n-ride lots. People who still want to use their cars can take their cars by boat.
            Good idea, but then you'll have traffic jams near the harbors because people are exiting/entering the harbors.

I agree with your multiple ferry idea, but the cars part isn't so good. Maybe they can start a pilot project for the Windward and North Shore residents.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

With all this brouhaha about the superferry not conducting an EA/EIS did this ferry conduct one?

Comment

TheBoat

an interesting read on TheBoat, past and present and its relationship with the rail...

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....b-86ca702efc7b
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Re: TheBoat

We already have a thread on The Boat here:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=13511

And yes, it probably won't work as outlined in the HawaiiReporter story. But before it is over I am willing to ride it once for $2 each way (probably back on TheBus in one of those directions) just to get a cheap sunset or sunrise cruise.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: The Boat - Honolulu's Commuter Ferry

mel,
                    You can ride for free all next week. Looks like you could catch a good sunset view if this S-B photo is any indication.
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

For the price, departure and arrival times, TheBus connections plus two transfers it seems practical. But, I wonder if it will reduce traffic, since TheBus riders don't drive to begin with? I support it, and rail...any solution to ease the traffic. Lately, Saturday commutes are nearly as gridlocked as a weekday.

I won't be taking TheBoat since it's no where near my commute, as well as the Rail, but in terms of the generations after me, it could benefit them.
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                        mel,
                        You can ride for free all next week. Looks like you could catch a good sunset view if this S-B photo is any indication.
                        The coming back part I think would still cost $2 and probably has to be done on The Bus since The Boat schedules only indicate one way trips for the morning and afternoon slots. And I am totally not familiar with The Bus schedules or routes down at Kapolei or Barber's Point wherever the Boat stops.... but yes, FREE is always a good deal.

Of course The Boat is being financed by taxpayers. On yesterday's KITV 4 News they pointed out that the cost per passenger for The Boat is $52 per day... and The Bus was like 60 cents...
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: TheBoat

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          We already have a thread on The Boat here:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=13511

And yes, it probably won't work as outlined in the HawaiiReporter story. But before it is over I am willing to ride it once for $2 each way (probably back on TheBus in one of those directions) just to get a cheap sunset or sunrise cruise.
                          It might fare better this time because there are connecting bus routes. But the biggest problem with any public transit project is frequency. You just have that small window for each of the commutes. That kinda kills things.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            The coming back part I think would still cost $2 and probably has to be done on The Bus since The Boat schedules only indicate one way trips for the morning and afternoon slots. And I am totally not familiar with The Bus schedules or routes down at Kapolei or Barber's Point wherever the Boat stops.... but yes, FREE is always a good deal.
                            actually, you can take TheBoat going west in the morning and return but as of today, the only way is to catch the 6:30 am boat. just to test it, i caught the 6:30 ride out to Kalaeloa and it took just 45 minutes. we had to get off for a few minutes and then i caught the 8 am trip back to the aloha tower marketplace.

it was a pleasant trip and the crew was very friendly.

after i got off, i walked over to the Mix Cafe and had a wonderful meal...
                            Attached Files
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I know the SuperFerry is currently overshadowing all other seemingly insignificant incomptance - until an accident happens.
                              The Melissa Ann, one of the ferries of TheBoat doesn't appear to be retrofitted for public use. You would think that the city would err on the side of caution when it comes to safety.

Melissa Ann is open to the outside lower level to go up the upper level. There is no proper saftey enclosure. There is a railing but the lower railing closer to the floor is 3 foot high rebar. After seeing the state exempt itself from it's own laws, maybe Mufi learned a Neat Trick and exempted DaBoat from safety retrofitting?

The Melissa Ann was waddling from Aloha Tower to Barbers, and on the way back was "smoother".

I call DaBoast and complained that kids could just fly fight out of the open exposure because there is nothing but air and a two inch lip to hold them back. She no understand because she was never on the little ferry and assured me that it must've passed all U.S. Coast Guard safety requirements.

I think someone in charge of public safety should go and check why the Melissa Ann is hazardous to any person who is less than four-foot and seven-inches.

It seems that Hanneman has no intention of continuing this demo project of 6 months and plans(?) to have it fail from the beginning in order to say later: "See TheBoat didn't work! We MUST have the train!". Planned? or just an example of what he will do in the future, when he gets a hold of 8 billion for a stupid train?

TheBoat has a no marooned passenger policy if ferry break down, there's a bus, has anyboady even compared total trip time?. Why can' Honolulu have a non stop bus line (the F line) instead of a nauseating ferry ride?
                              "To do is to be" - Socrates
                              "To be is to do" - Plato
                              "Do-be-do-be-do" - Sinatra :

Comment

Working...
                              X