Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I get to be archived!

Default I get to be archived!

Just learned today that the UH-Manoa Library wishes to archive the li'l ol' monthly newspaper we put out here in Seattle, the Northwest Hawai`i Times. (As most of you know, I've been the music writer since day one.)

It's nice to think that I'll get to be a tiny piece of their collection from here on out. It may not be that big a deal, but it does feel like a nice honor - that the UH finds some value in what we've been doing here since 2004. As the only staff member not born and raised in the Islands, it reminds me how grateful I am to have been so welcomed by the community of locals in this region.

Default Re: I get to be archived!

Aww congrats, LeoLakio! Heck yeah, that's gotta be a good feeling and what I call yet another example of "enjoying the fruits of your labors." I'm happy for ya.

A mainland paper, staffed by former Hawaii residents (and one born-and-raised on the mainland).

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media? For real?

I vote yes.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Palolo Joe, why wouldn't it? It isn't just staffed by former Hawaiians, as you say but it has "Hawaii" in it's title. Who says Hawaiian media can't extend elsewhere? Apparently they're buying into it.

Talking Re: I get to be archived!

Ah, I know your glee. When some fellow students and I, post-Ka Leo, tried to start up our own independent campus newspaper at UH-Manoa (sparking a First Amendment battle in the process), our efforts seemed validated in part when the collections folks at Hamilton asked for archive copies and various bibliographic data for their index.

We only put out three issues, but somewhere in the bowels of the library system, our ridiculous experiment in rebel journalism lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Palolo Joe, why wouldn't it? It isn't just staffed by former Hawaiians, as you say but it has "Hawaii" in it's title. Who says Hawaiian media can't extend elsewhere? Apparently they're buying into it.
    What is a "former Hawaiian," Karen?

You're either Hawaiian or you're not. I'm talking about former Hawaii residents.

There IS a difference.

And just because something says Hawaii in it's title, it's authentic? This is a monthly regional newsletter that services an expat community on the mainland.

I can see why the HSPLS might want the novelty of including a mainland perspective in its archives, but that publication isn't part of the local media.

Which is what I thought the Hawaii Print Media forum on HT was for.

We have current Hawai`i residents on our writing staff, and the paper's editor lives part of the year back home in Hilo.

To quote directly from the message we received:
    "The UH Manoa Library would like very much to receive issues of Northwest Hawai'i Times. This publication will greatly enrich and enhance the Library's Hawaiian Collection." Their exact words. They expressed interest - we did not approach them. In fact, we do not know exactly how they learned about us.

There is an Island diaspora, we exist to serve a part of it. I don't care how much some people wish to pi$$ on that; we are pleased to have the opportunity to provide for our community.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Just learned today that the UH-Manoa Library wishes to archive the li'l ol' monthly newspaper we put out here in Seattle, the Northwest Hawai`i Times. (As most of you know, I've been the music writer since day one.)

It's nice to think that I'll get to be a tiny piece of their collection from here on out. It may not be that big a deal, but it does feel like a nice honor - that the UH finds some value in what we've been doing here since 2004. As the only staff member not born and raised in the Islands, it reminds me how grateful I am to have been so welcomed by the community of locals in this region.

Wow! That is way cool, Leo Lakio! It makes me smile to know that the spirit of spreading Aloha is alive and well. Congratulations to you and your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    A mainland paper, staffed by former Hawaii residents (and one born-and-raised on the mainland).

Of course it does; why wouldn't it? You may choose not to answer this, of course, but I'll ask anyway. Do you have a particular problem with former Hawaii residents and/or people born and raised on the mainland?

We have current Hawai`i residents on our writing staff, and the paper's editor lives part of the year back home in Hilo.
    Thanks for the clarification. When you say "current Hawaii residents on our writing staff," does that mean salaried employees, or freelance writers?

I'm betting it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    There is an Island diaspora, we exist to serve a part of it. I don't care how much some people wish to pi$$ on that; we are pleased to have the opportunity to provide for our community.
    Pissing on it? More like clarifying that it's a publication that exists on the mainland to serve the Hawaii expat community.

Besides, I think you posting about it here on HT is yet another "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" attempt on your part. More grandstanding, and it's completely unnecessary. Just like your name-dropping.

The newsletter is what it is. But I disagree when others want to classify it as HAWAII PRINT MEDIA. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
    Do you have a particular problem with former Hawaii residents and/or people born and raised on the mainland?
    Nope. I have a problem with classifying that publication as Hawaii print media.

It's not.

Nope. I have a problem with classifying that publication as Hawaii print media.

It's not.
    Here's how HT describes Hawaii Print Media: "Discussions on local newspapers, magazines and other paper publishers." The fact that the publication is published on the mainland is irrelevant, and Leo posted great news in a perfectly appropriate place. It certainly can be discussed here. I'm not sure what your motivation is, but clearly, your intent is to turn the joy of an accomplishment into a pi$$ing contest over where the sharing of that news should have been posted. Bummer...

Thanks for the clarification. When you say "current Hawaii residents on our writing staff," does that mean salaried employees, or freelance writers? I'm betting it's the latter.
    Somewhere in-between, because there are no salaried employees beyond the editor/publisher (and I don't even know for certain that she even pays herself.) There are a handful of us who are paid a regular monthly stipend for our pieces. There are also freelancers, who contribute on an irregular basis.
    Pissing on it? More like clarifying that it's a publication that exists on the mainland to serve the Hawaii expat community.
    Never said it wasn't. Again, it was UH-Manoa that asked us to send it to them; we didn't seek them out - we still feel honored that they want to include us in their collection, your opinion notwithstanding.
    Besides, I think you posting about it here on HT is yet another "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" attempt on your part. More grandstanding, and it's completely unnecessary. Just like your name-dropping.
    As I knew you would. But your lack of interest doesn't stop me from posting. Do you piss on birthday cakes, too? You are certainly welcome, but you don't have to hang around other people's celebrations if they bother you so much, you know; no one is forcing you to read anything I post - it's your choice. You don't like it? Easy option #1) discuss it with the moderators or administrator, and they can inform me if they feel I am a disruptive contributor. Easier option #2) put me on "ignore." Again - you have freedom of choice here. As do I.
    The newsletter is what it is. But I disagree when others want to classify it as HAWAII PRINT MEDIA. It's not.
    Again, feel free to discuss it with the moderator or administrators, and let them take your opinion into consideration. To assist in that purpose, if Mel, Helen or Ryan would like me to send them a few copies of recent print editions of the newspaper, they can let me know an address to which they'd like them sent, and I will oblige. Or they can just go to the UH-Manoa library soon, and read it there.

Here's how HT describes Hawaii Print Media: "Discussions on local newspapers, magazines and other paper publishers." The fact that the publication is published on the mainland is irrelevant, and Leo posted great news in a perfectly appropriate place.
    Wrong.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

LOCAL newspapers. LOCAL magazines. LOCAL other paper publishers.

And if you want to start with the personal attacks, expect the same in return.

Somewhere in-between, because there are no salaried employees beyond the editor/publisher (and I don't even know for certain that she even pays herself.) There are a handful of us who are paid a regular monthly stipend for our pieces. There are also freelancers, who contribute on an irregular basis.
    Never said it wasn't. Again, it was UH-Manoa that asked us to send it to them; we didn't seek them out - we still feel honored that they want to include us in their collection, your opinion notwithstanding.
    As I knew you would. But your lack of interest doesn't stop me from posting. Do you piss on birthday cakes, too? You are certainly welcome, but you don't have to hang around other people's celebrations if they bother you so much, you know; no one is forcing you to read anything I post - it's your choice. You don't like it? Easy option #1) discuss it with the moderators or administrator, and they can inform me if they feel I am a disruptive contributor. Easier option #2) put me on "ignore." Again - you have freedom of choice here. As do I.
    Again, feel free to discuss it with the moderator or administrators, and let them take your opinion into consideration. To assist in that purpose, if Mel, Helen or Ryan would like me to send them a few copies of recent print editions of the newspaper, they can let me know an address to which they'd like them sent, and I will oblige. Or they can just go to the UH-Manoa library soon, and read it there.

Standing...applauding...whistling...cheering...
    Don't ever let anyone rain on your parade, especially those bitten by the green-eyed monster. Thank you again for making us aware of your publication and congratulations on your achievement.

Wrong.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

LOCAL newspapers. LOCAL magazines. LOCAL other paper publishers.

And if you want to start with the personal attacks, expect the same in return.

Care to point out a personal attack on my part? I looked and looked, but couldn't find one.

My reading comprehension is just fine, but thank you for asking. It doesn't say LOCAL other paper publishers; it says other paper publishers. As in publications relating to Hawaii, which is where this all started. Where the heck would you suggest he post it -- "Pet Peeve of the Day?" Did I miss the part about YOU getting to decide what gets posted where? Now, would someone please remind me how to access the "Ignore" option?

As in publications relating to Hawaii, which is where this all started. Where the heck would you suggest he post it -- "Pet Peeve of the Day?" Did I miss the part about YOU getting to decide what gets posted where? Now, would someone please remind me how to access the "Ignore" option?
    Wrong. Again.

He knows exactly where he COULD have posted it. You've been on HT for all of what, a month?

I never said I got to decide where his crap goes. But I do get to decide to voice my opinion. And I'll continue to do that until the admin here decides he doesn't want me around.

Your opinion of my posts, to me, doesn't mean d*ck.

You are SUCH an ass!

Hooray, Leo! Another landmark event for an HT member -- not bad for a Monday! Good for you guys!

Full moon and lunar eclipse tonight! Have a glass of wine and toast the good news HT members got today!

Yo, Tikiyaki, how's about some "Mai Tais on the Moon?" Yes, I followed the link and listened. I liked that one most of all. Is it longer on the CD? Just curious. (You guys should go be nosy... if you haven't already.)
    Aloha,
    Evelyn
    Homespun Honolulu

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    You are SUCH an ass!
    And YOU can kiss it. Pucker up...

What is a "former Hawaiian," Karen?

You're either Hawaiian or you're not. I'm talking about former Hawaii residents.

There IS a difference.

And just because something says Hawaii in it's title, it's authentic? This is a monthly regional newsletter that services an expat community on the mainland.

I can see why the HSPLS might want the novelty of including a mainland perspective in its archives, but that publication isn't part of the local media.

Which is what I thought the Hawaii Print Media forum on HT was for.

Palolo Joe, you are asking ME what "former Hawiian" is when YOU are the one that used it and I only reiterated it to you, with you in mind? I was well aware that you said former Hawaiian "resident." Makes no difference....

You also said "This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media?" UH Manoa wants to archive it cuz it has to do with HAWAII...it is YOU that suggests it has to be related to Hawaii's "print media."

I ask you why would manoa library NOT want to archive anything having to do with Hawaii, in any way at all? they clearly don't think like you nor wish to operate their library according to your preconceived notions about them, or about what constitutes worthiness of something to be in a library in Hawaii.

Authentic? authentic WHAT?! how hawaiian does an article have to be? do you mean to insist that native hawaiians must be authors?! LOL sorry, but what are you getting at, here? isn't computing....

Tell me, just how much native Hawaiian BLOOD does any human have to have to even BE "authentic/native hawaiian?" Do you dare even ask that of anyone wearing a red, Kau Inoa shirt? I doubt it!

Should UH Manoa library be a buffet of ideas, or not? Should they want to archive only thoughts from native Hawiians or whatever you determine is "authentic" or should they care what any resident or even tourist sees of Hawaii?

What makes up Hawaiian media? Why do you think UH wants just "hawaiian media" in its library archives? Please try to explain further what your objections or your surprise to their choices, are.

Palolo Joe, you are asking ME what "former Hawiian" is when YOU are the one that used it and I only reiterated it to you, with you in mind? I was well aware that you said former Hawaiian "resident." Makes no difference....
    Yes, it does make a difference.

Since you seem to be too lazy to read the original post:

Do you see the words "former Hawaiians" in that post?

No? It's because they were in this one:

Palolo Joe, why wouldn't it? It isn't just staffed by former Hawaiians, as you say but it has "Hawaii" in it's title.
    So yes, I am asking YOU what a "former Hawaiian" is, or "former Hawiian," or however you want to spell it.

UH Manoa wants to archive it cuz it has to do with HAWAII...
    Which is fine, as I wrote earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Palolo Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I ask you why would manoa library NOT want to archive anything having to do with Hawaii, in any way at all? they clearly don't think like you nor wish to operate their library according to your preconceived notions about them, or about what constitutes worthiness of something to be in a library in Hawaii.
    Now you're chugging the Kool-Aid and running off in another direction. I don't know where you get that, and to construe that I feel that way is laughable.

Tell me, just how much native Hawaiian BLOOD does any human have to have to even BE "authentic/native hawaiian?" Do you dare even ask that of anyone wearing a red, Kau Inoa shirt? I doubt it!
    Umm... if you have koko, then you're Hawaiian. If you're a middle-aged Asian housewife in Hawaii Kai, then you're a Hawaii resident. If you're mainland born-and-raised, you're sure as hell not a "former Hawaiian" or anything close.

I've asked people wearing Kau Inoa shirts about their ohana. There have been times when people have asked me about my background when I've worn one.

It's called talking story, and if you're being truthful, there's nothing to hide.

What makes up Hawaiian media? Why do you think UH wants just "hawaiian media" in its library archives? Please try to explain further what your objections or your surprise to their choices, are.
    I know what makes up Hawaiian media, and it sure as hell isn't the same as what makes up Hawaii media. Again, there's a difference.

In this particular instance, I couldn't care less about what UH wants. My beef is that this self-serving post is in the Hawaii Print Media forum, when it could easily have gone somewhere else.

As I said in my original post, with very little attitude compared to what I've gotten in return:

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii Print Media? For real?

If the mods say it is, then I guess it's as good as gospel.

But I don't agree.
    Last edited by Palolo Joe; August 27th, 2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors

In the same way that the Advertiser and the Star Bulletin report on events OUTSIDE Hawai'i, the Northwest Hawai'i Times actually does the same thing in reverse. If you ever read a copy of it, you would discover that it has more "Hawaiian" cultural stuff in it than your local rags in Hawai'i do. And just because the majority of its circulation is based on the Mainland, that doesn't mean that there aren't people in Hawai'i (or Asia or Europe) who read it either online or via a subscription, too.

The reason why it's so popular up here is because it is a tie to everything that we left behind (and it helps that it's FREE! ). Plus, we make a bigger deal out of the local musicians who tour up here than you guys do because we know how significant their music is (and because we aren't exposed to it as frequently as you are). It's kind of like the old saying, "you don't know what you're missing until you've lost it".

I read it every month for the historical information about Hawai'i that is provided in one of the columns, and Leo's music column and also the ads about the ho'olauleas and Hawaiian musicians who might be coming through town. So yes, it provides a very valuable way of knowing what's going on "ova dere" and also provides us with an opporunity to be exposed to it in ways that you guys may take for granted.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

Okay Palolo, tit for tat you explained yourself and my abuse of your terminology. Now, come again...WHY are you surprised that Manoa library has put something published from the mainland, but ABOUT Hawaii, in its archives? you are shocked, why?! I haven't read the thing, but if Miulang is correct about this..."If you ever read a copy of it, you would discover that it has more "Hawaiian" cultural stuff in it than your local rags in Hawai'i do...." then what on earth are you so shocked about?

You said "

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media? For real?"

I say, Joe, GET REAL...there is no reason that Manoa wouldn't...want it in their library.

Me thinks though protesteth too much, and if you could only hear me saying this in my Texas accent, you'd probably really freak out.

And YOU can kiss it. Pucker up...
    Sure. As soon as you tell me why your location states that you live in Palolo, when you really live on the mainland...California, if I'm not mistaken.

Now, come again...WHY are you surprised that Manoa library has put something published from the mainland, but ABOUT Hawaii, in its archives? you are shocked, why?! I haven't read the thing, but if Miulang is correct about this..."If you ever read a copy of it, you would discover that it has more "Hawaiian" cultural stuff in it than your local rags in Hawai'i do...." then what on earth are you so shocked about?
    Oh. My. God.

Remove your head from your rear and READ WHAT I WRITE.

My beef is that this self-serving post is in the Hawaii Print Media forum, when it could easily have gone somewhere else.
    I'm glad the UH Library System wants to archive a monthly newsletter about Hawaii. Nothing I've written in this thread takes exception to their decision, and for you to think otherwise is an exercise in stupidity.

But here's a tip: Take EVERYTHING Miulang says with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast