This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get to be archived!

Just learned today that the UH-Manoa Library wishes to archive the li'l ol' monthly newspaper we put out here in Seattle, the Northwest Hawai`i Times. (As most of you know, I've been the music writer since day one.)

It's nice to think that I'll get to be a tiny piece of their collection from here on out. It may not be that big a deal, but it does feel like a nice honor - that the UH finds some value in what we've been doing here since 2004. As the only staff member not born and raised in the Islands, it reminds me how grateful I am to have been so welcomed by the community of locals in this region.

Re: I get to be archived!

Aww congrats, LeoLakio! Heck yeah, that's gotta be a good feeling and what I call yet another example of "enjoying the fruits of your labors." I'm happy for ya.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

A mainland paper, staffed by former Hawaii residents (and one born-and-raised on the mainland).

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media? For real?

Comment

I vote yes.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Palolo Joe, why wouldn't it? It isn't just staffed by former Hawaiians, as you say but it has "Hawaii" in it's title. Who says Hawaiian media can't extend elsewhere? Apparently they're buying into it.
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Ah, I know your glee. When some fellow students and I, post-Ka Leo, tried to start up our own independent campus newspaper at UH-Manoa (sparking a First Amendment battle in the process), our efforts seemed validated in part when the collections folks at Hamilton asked for archive copies and various bibliographic data for their index.

We only put out three issues, but somewhere in the bowels of the library system, our ridiculous experiment in rebel journalism lives on.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
              Palolo Joe, why wouldn't it? It isn't just staffed by former Hawaiians, as you say but it has "Hawaii" in it's title. Who says Hawaiian media can't extend elsewhere? Apparently they're buying into it.
              What is a "former Hawaiian," Karen?

You're either Hawaiian or you're not. I'm talking about former Hawaii residents.

There IS a difference.

And just because something says Hawaii in it's title, it's authentic? This is a monthly regional newsletter that services an expat community on the mainland.

I can see why the HSPLS might want the novelty of including a mainland perspective in its archives, but that publication isn't part of the local media.

Which is what I thought the Hawaii Print Media forum on HT was for.

Comment

We have current Hawai`i residents on our writing staff, and the paper's editor lives part of the year back home in Hilo.

To quote directly from the message we received:
                "The UH Manoa Library would like very much to receive issues of Northwest Hawai'i Times. This publication will greatly enrich and enhance the Library's Hawaiian Collection." Their exact words. They expressed interest - we did not approach them. In fact, we do not know exactly how they learned about us.

There is an Island diaspora, we exist to serve a part of it. I don't care how much some people wish to pi$$ on that; we are pleased to have the opportunity to provide for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Just learned today that the UH-Manoa Library wishes to archive the li'l ol' monthly newspaper we put out here in Seattle, the Northwest Hawai`i Times. (As most of you know, I've been the music writer since day one.)

It's nice to think that I'll get to be a tiny piece of their collection from here on out. It may not be that big a deal, but it does feel like a nice honor - that the UH finds some value in what we've been doing here since 2004. As the only staff member not born and raised in the Islands, it reminds me how grateful I am to have been so welcomed by the community of locals in this region.

Wow! That is way cool, Leo Lakio! It makes me smile to know that the spirit of spreading Aloha is alive and well. Congratulations to you and your team.

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                  A mainland paper, staffed by former Hawaii residents (and one born-and-raised on the mainland).

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media? For real?

Of course it does; why wouldn't it? You may choose not to answer this, of course, but I'll ask anyway. Do you have a particular problem with former Hawaii residents and/or people born and raised on the mainland?

Comment

We have current Hawai`i residents on our writing staff, and the paper's editor lives part of the year back home in Hilo.
                    Thanks for the clarification. When you say "current Hawaii residents on our writing staff," does that mean salaried employees, or freelance writers?

I'm betting it's the latter.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    There is an Island diaspora, we exist to serve a part of it. I don't care how much some people wish to pi$$ on that; we are pleased to have the opportunity to provide for our community.
                    Pissing on it? More like clarifying that it's a publication that exists on the mainland to serve the Hawaii expat community.

Besides, I think you posting about it here on HT is yet another "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" attempt on your part. More grandstanding, and it's completely unnecessary. Just like your name-dropping.

The newsletter is what it is. But I disagree when others want to classify it as HAWAII PRINT MEDIA. It's not.

Originally posted by MatildaRose
                    Do you have a particular problem with former Hawaii residents and/or people born and raised on the mainland?
                    Nope. I have a problem with classifying that publication as Hawaii print media.

It's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                      Nope. I have a problem with classifying that publication as Hawaii print media.

It's not.
                      Here's how HT describes Hawaii Print Media: "Discussions on local newspapers, magazines and other paper publishers." The fact that the publication is published on the mainland is irrelevant, and Leo posted great news in a perfectly appropriate place. It certainly can be discussed here. I'm not sure what your motivation is, but clearly, your intent is to turn the joy of an accomplishment into a pi$$ing contest over where the sharing of that news should have been posted. Bummer...

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. When you say "current Hawaii residents on our writing staff," does that mean salaried employees, or freelance writers? I'm betting it's the latter.
                        Somewhere in-between, because there are no salaried employees beyond the editor/publisher (and I don't even know for certain that she even pays herself.) There are a handful of us who are paid a regular monthly stipend for our pieces. There are also freelancers, who contribute on an irregular basis.
                        Pissing on it? More like clarifying that it's a publication that exists on the mainland to serve the Hawaii expat community.
                        Never said it wasn't. Again, it was UH-Manoa that asked us to send it to them; we didn't seek them out - we still feel honored that they want to include us in their collection, your opinion notwithstanding.
                        Besides, I think you posting about it here on HT is yet another "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" attempt on your part. More grandstanding, and it's completely unnecessary. Just like your name-dropping.
                        As I knew you would. But your lack of interest doesn't stop me from posting. Do you piss on birthday cakes, too? You are certainly welcome, but you don't have to hang around other people's celebrations if they bother you so much, you know; no one is forcing you to read anything I post - it's your choice. You don't like it? Easy option #1) discuss it with the moderators or administrator, and they can inform me if they feel I am a disruptive contributor. Easier option #2) put me on "ignore." Again - you have freedom of choice here. As do I.
                        The newsletter is what it is. But I disagree when others want to classify it as HAWAII PRINT MEDIA. It's not.
                        Again, feel free to discuss it with the moderator or administrators, and let them take your opinion into consideration. To assist in that purpose, if Mel, Helen or Ryan would like me to send them a few copies of recent print editions of the newspaper, they can let me know an address to which they'd like them sent, and I will oblige. Or they can just go to the UH-Manoa library soon, and read it there.

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                          Here's how HT describes Hawaii Print Media: "Discussions on local newspapers, magazines and other paper publishers." The fact that the publication is published on the mainland is irrelevant, and Leo posted great news in a perfectly appropriate place.
                          Wrong.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

LOCAL newspapers. LOCAL magazines. LOCAL other paper publishers.

And if you want to start with the personal attacks, expect the same in return.

Comment

Somewhere in-between, because there are no salaried employees beyond the editor/publisher (and I don't even know for certain that she even pays herself.) There are a handful of us who are paid a regular monthly stipend for our pieces. There are also freelancers, who contribute on an irregular basis.
                            Never said it wasn't. Again, it was UH-Manoa that asked us to send it to them; we didn't seek them out - we still feel honored that they want to include us in their collection, your opinion notwithstanding.
                            As I knew you would. But your lack of interest doesn't stop me from posting. Do you piss on birthday cakes, too? You are certainly welcome, but you don't have to hang around other people's celebrations if they bother you so much, you know; no one is forcing you to read anything I post - it's your choice. You don't like it? Easy option #1) discuss it with the moderators or administrator, and they can inform me if they feel I am a disruptive contributor. Easier option #2) put me on "ignore." Again - you have freedom of choice here. As do I.
                            Again, feel free to discuss it with the moderator or administrators, and let them take your opinion into consideration. To assist in that purpose, if Mel, Helen or Ryan would like me to send them a few copies of recent print editions of the newspaper, they can let me know an address to which they'd like them sent, and I will oblige. Or they can just go to the UH-Manoa library soon, and read it there.

Standing...applauding...whistling...cheering...
                            Don't ever let anyone rain on your parade, especially those bitten by the green-eyed monster. Thank you again for making us aware of your publication and congratulations on your achievement.

Wrong.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

LOCAL newspapers. LOCAL magazines. LOCAL other paper publishers.

And if you want to start with the personal attacks, expect the same in return.

Care to point out a personal attack on my part? I looked and looked, but couldn't find one.

My reading comprehension is just fine, but thank you for asking. It doesn't say LOCAL other paper publishers; it says other paper publishers. As in publications relating to Hawaii, which is where this all started. Where the heck would you suggest he post it -- "Pet Peeve of the Day?" Did I miss the part about YOU getting to decide what gets posted where? Now, would someone please remind me how to access the "Ignore" option?

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose
                              As in publications relating to Hawaii, which is where this all started. Where the heck would you suggest he post it -- "Pet Peeve of the Day?" Did I miss the part about YOU getting to decide what gets posted where? Now, would someone please remind me how to access the "Ignore" option?
                              Wrong. Again.

He knows exactly where he COULD have posted it. You've been on HT for all of what, a month?

I never said I got to decide where his crap goes. But I do get to decide to voice my opinion. And I'll continue to do that until the admin here decides he doesn't want me around.

Your opinion of my posts, to me, doesn't mean d*ck.

Comment

Working...
                              X