Re: I get to be archived!

Congratz, Leo !
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
      A mainland paper, staffed by former Hawaii residents (and one born-and-raised on the mainland).

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media? For real?
      You are SUCH an ass!
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hooray, Leo! Another landmark event for an HT member -- not bad for a Monday! Good for you guys!

Full moon and lunar eclipse tonight! Have a glass of wine and toast the good news HT members got today!

Yo, Tikiyaki, how's about some "Mai Tais on the Moon?" Yes, I followed the link and listened. I liked that one most of all. Is it longer on the CD? Just curious. (You guys should go be nosy... if you haven't already.)
        Aloha,
        Evelyn
        Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          You are SUCH an ass!
          And YOU can kiss it. Pucker up...

Comment

What is a "former Hawaiian," Karen?

You're either Hawaiian or you're not. I'm talking about former Hawaii residents.

There IS a difference.

And just because something says Hawaii in it's title, it's authentic? This is a monthly regional newsletter that services an expat community on the mainland.

I can see why the HSPLS might want the novelty of including a mainland perspective in its archives, but that publication isn't part of the local media.

Which is what I thought the Hawaii Print Media forum on HT was for.

Palolo Joe, you are asking ME what "former Hawiian" is when YOU are the one that used it and I only reiterated it to you, with you in mind? I was well aware that you said former Hawaiian "resident." Makes no difference....

You also said "This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media?" UH Manoa wants to archive it cuz it has to do with HAWAII...it is YOU that suggests it has to be related to Hawaii's "print media."

I ask you why would manoa library NOT want to archive anything having to do with Hawaii, in any way at all? they clearly don't think like you nor wish to operate their library according to your preconceived notions about them, or about what constitutes worthiness of something to be in a library in Hawaii.

Authentic? authentic WHAT?! how hawaiian does an article have to be? do you mean to insist that native hawaiians must be authors?! LOL sorry, but what are you getting at, here? isn't computing....

Tell me, just how much native Hawaiian BLOOD does any human have to have to even BE "authentic/native hawaiian?" Do you dare even ask that of anyone wearing a red, Kau Inoa shirt? I doubt it!

Should UH Manoa library be a buffet of ideas, or not? Should they want to archive only thoughts from native Hawiians or whatever you determine is "authentic" or should they care what any resident or even tourist sees of Hawaii?

What makes up Hawaiian media? Why do you think UH wants just "hawaiian media" in its library archives? Please try to explain further what your objections or your surprise to their choices, are.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
              Palolo Joe, you are asking ME what "former Hawiian" is when YOU are the one that used it and I only reiterated it to you, with you in mind? I was well aware that you said former Hawaiian "resident." Makes no difference....
              Yes, it does make a difference.

Since you seem to be too lazy to read the original post:

A mainland paper, staffed by former Hawaii residents (and one born-and-raised on the mainland).

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media? For real?
              Do you see the words "former Hawaiians" in that post?

No? It's because they were in this one:

Palolo Joe, why wouldn't it? It isn't just staffed by former Hawaiians, as you say but it has "Hawaii" in it's title.
              So yes, I am asking YOU what a "former Hawaiian" is, or "former Hawiian," or however you want to spell it.

UH Manoa wants to archive it cuz it has to do with HAWAII...
              Which is fine, as I wrote earlier:

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
              I can see why the HSPLS might want the novelty of including a mainland perspective in its archives, but that publication isn't part of the local media.
              Originally posted by Karen
              I ask you why would manoa library NOT want to archive anything having to do with Hawaii, in any way at all? they clearly don't think like you nor wish to operate their library according to your preconceived notions about them, or about what constitutes worthiness of something to be in a library in Hawaii.
              Now you're chugging the Kool-Aid and running off in another direction. I don't know where you get that, and to construe that I feel that way is laughable.

Tell me, just how much native Hawaiian BLOOD does any human have to have to even BE "authentic/native hawaiian?" Do you dare even ask that of anyone wearing a red, Kau Inoa shirt? I doubt it!
              Umm... if you have koko, then you're Hawaiian. If you're a middle-aged Asian housewife in Hawaii Kai, then you're a Hawaii resident. If you're mainland born-and-raised, you're sure as hell not a "former Hawaiian" or anything close.

I've asked people wearing Kau Inoa shirts about their ohana. There have been times when people have asked me about my background when I've worn one.

It's called talking story, and if you're being truthful, there's nothing to hide.

What makes up Hawaiian media? Why do you think UH wants just "hawaiian media" in its library archives? Please try to explain further what your objections or your surprise to their choices, are.
              I know what makes up Hawaiian media, and it sure as hell isn't the same as what makes up Hawaii media. Again, there's a difference.

In this particular instance, I couldn't care less about what UH wants. My beef is that this self-serving post is in the Hawaii Print Media forum, when it could easily have gone somewhere else.

As I said in my original post, with very little attitude compared to what I've gotten in return:

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii Print Media? For real?

If the mods say it is, then I guess it's as good as gospel.

But I don't agree.
              Last edited by Palolo Joe; August 27, 2007, 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Comment

In the same way that the Advertiser and the Star Bulletin report on events OUTSIDE Hawai'i, the Northwest Hawai'i Times actually does the same thing in reverse. If you ever read a copy of it, you would discover that it has more "Hawaiian" cultural stuff in it than your local rags in Hawai'i do. And just because the majority of its circulation is based on the Mainland, that doesn't mean that there aren't people in Hawai'i (or Asia or Europe) who read it either online or via a subscription, too.

The reason why it's so popular up here is because it is a tie to everything that we left behind (and it helps that it's FREE! ). Plus, we make a bigger deal out of the local musicians who tour up here than you guys do because we know how significant their music is (and because we aren't exposed to it as frequently as you are). It's kind of like the old saying, "you don't know what you're missing until you've lost it".

I read it every month for the historical information about Hawai'i that is provided in one of the columns, and Leo's music column and also the ads about the ho'olauleas and Hawaiian musicians who might be coming through town. So yes, it provides a very valuable way of knowing what's going on "ova dere" and also provides us with an opporunity to be exposed to it in ways that you guys may take for granted.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Okay Palolo, tit for tat you explained yourself and my abuse of your terminology. Now, come again...WHY are you surprised that Manoa library has put something published from the mainland, but ABOUT Hawaii, in its archives? you are shocked, why?! I haven't read the thing, but if Miulang is correct about this..."If you ever read a copy of it, you would discover that it has more "Hawaiian" cultural stuff in it than your local rags in Hawai'i do...." then what on earth are you so shocked about?

You said "

This qualifies as being related to Hawaii print media? For real?"

I say, Joe, GET REAL...there is no reason that Manoa wouldn't...want it in their library.

Me thinks though protesteth too much, and if you could only hear me saying this in my Texas accent, you'd probably really freak out.
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

And YOU can kiss it. Pucker up...
                    Sure. As soon as you tell me why your location states that you live in Palolo, when you really live on the mainland...California, if I'm not mistaken.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Now, come again...WHY are you surprised that Manoa library has put something published from the mainland, but ABOUT Hawaii, in its archives? you are shocked, why?! I haven't read the thing, but if Miulang is correct about this..."If you ever read a copy of it, you would discover that it has more "Hawaiian" cultural stuff in it than your local rags in Hawai'i do...." then what on earth are you so shocked about?
                      Oh. My. God.

Remove your head from your rear and READ WHAT I WRITE.

My beef is that this self-serving post is in the Hawaii Print Media forum, when it could easily have gone somewhere else.
                      I'm glad the UH Library System wants to archive a monthly newsletter about Hawaii. Nothing I've written in this thread takes exception to their decision, and for you to think otherwise is an exercise in stupidity.

But here's a tip: Take EVERYTHING Miulang says with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                        Sure. As soon as you tell me why your location states that you live in Palolo, when you really live on the mainland...California, if I'm not mistaken.
                        California? Really?

Tell that to the boys in Palolo Housing, which is just a few blocks from my family's home.

What a joke.

Comment

But I disagree when others want to classify it as HAWAII PRINT MEDIA. It's not.
                          *Yawn*. OK, so maybe this isn't the right section. (Then again, maybe it is.) It seems close enough. What's the big furry deal? Why is it a battle worth fighting?

Comment

Originally posted by Karen:
                            "Do you dare even ask that of anyone wearing a red, Kau Inoa shirt?"

Just for the record, Kau Inoa shirts are black.

Comment

I never said I got to decide where his crap goes. But I do get to decide to voice my opinion. And I'll continue to do that until the admin here decides he doesn't want me around.
                              As this is easily the tenth time I've been invited to make this determination, I guess I shall.

As with most of these pissing matches among the usual suspects, I'm disappointed with just about everyone. But some petty provocateurs are more reliably involved than others. I'm all for lively debate, but some headaches aren't worth it.
                              Your opinion of my posts, to me, doesn't mean d*ck.
                              I would submit that conviction in your beliefs is important, but if you think how your words affect others within a community is irrelevant to the management of, and survival of, said community, you're sadly mistaken.

Palolo Joe, thanks for your substantial contributions to date. However, you have received more final warnings than any other members on the board, but seem unwilling to moderate your behavior. It's clear HawaiiThreads is not a good match for your considerable talents and passions, and you are not welcome here any longer.

To everyone else, mahalo for your continued participation in and support of HawaiiThreads. As is quite evident, I don't like to ban people, and have done so only twice before. I hope, as in the past, that this difficult decision turns out to be the right one for us, on balance.

This thread will be closed until Mel and I can make a determination on where it will go, if anywhere. As with past administrative actions, feedback is welcome via Private Message or email, but I would greatly appreciate it if there was no further ridiculousness related to this mess elsewhere on the board. Further gloating, sniping, or pettiness may be deleted without comment. 'Tis done. Move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X