X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
    Oooohhhhh, serious questions............. like;

"The environmentalists argued in a lawsuit that the ferry's plan to ply 400 miles of Hawaii waters each day endangers whales, threatens to spread invasive species and will worsen traffic and pollution."

What a load of kukai.

Protect the whales? Great, why not go after the Japanese who to this day HUNT AND MURDER 1000 per year for Sushi, oh I mean "research"? Really, is one little boat on the ocean going to affect the whales any more than the hundreds of military ships or thousands of recreational boats do or the 1000s killed by Japanese?

Spread invasive species? So you got thousands and thousands of plane trips crisscrossing the islands for 60 years but couple superferry trips will disrupt the perfect biological balance of the islands. LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE.

Worsen Traffic? Every year Maui and Kauai approve thousands of new homes for development but a few dozen cars off the superferry are going to be the cause of pollution and traffic? How many cars arrive by barge every year on Maui. I GUARANTEE you its way more than will arrive and remain by Superferry.

Silly.
    Kam, listen to the Supreme Court oral statements from both sides from last week. Then you will understand why the Judge ruled the way he did. The DOT, in order to bring in more revenues in the form of rent on facilities, got into an agreement with HSF to start operation before an EA was done, which was in clear violation of Chapter 343 of the Hawai'i Revised Statutes. In exchange for that exemption from DOT, HSF was able to secure Title XI loan guarantees from MARAD. They also promised the DOT that they would do some sort of EIS once they started operations, and the DOT agreed to that. That is what the judge was concerned about.

I'm still trying to figure out how HSF was able to get the loan guarantee without having to present at least an EA to the feds to prove that they were going to be able to meet any federal environmental regulations; maybe loan guarantees are not the same thing as getting actual money.

In any case, it was a Catch-22 situation for HSF: without the exemption from an EA/EIS from the DOT, HSF could not have gotten the federal loan guarantee, which was for a pretty substantial amount of money.

What's kind of silly about this whole situation is that if the DOT had abided by the Hawai'i Revised Statutes and not exempted HSF, they wouldn't have this TRO thrown in their faces right now and there wouldn't have been all this pilikia.

And I would rather this whole thing be duked out in court than by protesters getting hurt or arrested in nonviolent demonstrations, but some people feel they have no other recourse, and in this democracy they do have a right to speak their own minds.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Kam, listen to the Supreme Court oral statements from both sides from last week. Miulang
      Miulang, honey gurl.

I ain't no lawyer. OJ got off. Ainokea about the legal details like you. Maybe DOT screwed up. Maybe the first Judge blew it. Maybe Superferry when too fast. Maybe maybe maybe.

Instead of trying to act judge lawyer and jury from 2500 miles away, I'm just saying that no matter what the details of the legal game are, the clowns who are jumping on their surfboards and trying to block this boat in the name of the "environment" are frauds.

If they really wanted to protect the environment, there are 1000 other ways to use their precious time and energy that might actually have an impact. Trying to stop one silly little boat is not the means to their stated ends. They are wasting their energy at best and they are frauds at worst.

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Oh and don't forget the other serious problem that "they didn't paint the lanes".

Whew, lucky dey when catch dat one. How many would have died.
        Unfortunately, Kam, DOT did not uphold their part of the agreement with Judge August that all the lane striping would be done before Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m.. Are you telling me you don't obey the law? I don't care how frivolous you think this might be, but it was a legal agreement. Be grateful it's only a TRO until next Wed., which is when HSF was supposed to start business.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          What if I drive like a Big-Islander?
          I'm originally from there and people over here say I drive too slow. So for someone like me, not enough time.

Originally posted by Konaguy
          I grudingly agree, but it really depends on what HSF's schedule is going to be to Kawaihae. If the traffic wasn't so horrible up in Waimea during peak times
          it could be doable depending on the HSF's schedule to Kawaihae.
          Looking at Superferry's current schedule.

AR MAUI 9:30 LV MAUI 11:00 (now suspended ) - 90 minutes turnaround

AR KAUAI 6:00 PM LV KAUAI 7:00 PM - 60 minute turnaround*

* barring any disruptions

I would assume that if the Superferry went to Kawaihae the turnaround would be around those 2 times... 90 minutes... hmmmm... you can try... but I would not. 60 minutes.... no way.

What is there to buy in Kawaihae? Nothing much. I haven't bought anything there in years. The last time was ice cream when Doi Store was around... and that was long ago!
          Last edited by mel; August 27, 2007, 06:25 PM. Reason: cut out duplicate word
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Unfortunately, Kam, DOT did not uphold their part of the agreement with Judge August that all the lane striping would be done before Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m.. Are you telling me you don't obey the law?

Miulang
            Miulang.

In my life I broke plenny laws.

Yes, I don't always obey the law.

Not beeeg kine. Small kine.

But still, I wen break um?

So wot? Problem?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              I'm originally from there and people over here say I drive too slow. So for someone like me, not enough time.

What is there to buy in Kawaihae? Nothing much. I haven't bought anything there in years. The last time was ice cream when Doi Store was around... and that was long ago!
              Mahalo Mel for posting the schedules for Maui and Kauai. I concur, there is not enough turnaround time to really visit the island. Unless you spent the night.

There is Cafe Pesto,assorted other restraunts and a 7-Eleven in Kawaihae.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post

There is Cafe Pesto,assorted other restraunts and a 7-Eleven in Kawaihae.
                With some hindsight and forewarning, perhaps one of those businesses in Kawaihae can make a deal with Tex Drive-in and bring the malasadas into Kawaihae, if and when Superferry comes, and of course if Superferry would do a similar dirt cheap promotion like what they did this week.

With the TRO this is all just nebulous speculation and fantasy.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

No. Too far away. About 35 miles, winding road up, bad traffic in Kamuela/Waimea; clear to Honokaa but you have to repeat that all over again going back.
                  Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  What if I drive like a Big-Islander?
                  You have to worry about the check in times at the port as well. The way the SuperFerry is doing things with the schedule there is no way anyone can do a "day trip" with your car to another island (at best you look around the harbor and board again for the trip home). You have to stay overnight at least.

Comment

With the TRO this is all just nebulous speculation and fantasy.
                    I'm fairly confident that HSF will be able to move forward with their service.Too much money has been invested to allow this service to be blocked permanently. If it does get blocked, the fringe element will have won out over the overall population.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Eh, You all welcome to come Maui or anyother Island for that matter. We live on different Islands. a matter of 20-30 minutes apart. If I like I going fly to Kona for check out Kamuela, or hopp on over Oahu for shopping and eat chinese food( Maui no mo good kine). Take a relaxing trip to Kauai for check out Hanalei. Go on a day trip to Lanai and spend the day at Manale bay. Go check out the Ohana on Molokai. One thing I hope we all remember is respect for each other and each others Island.
                      So, come Maui get your Krispy Kreme, Guri-Guri and Manju.....No worry we share, JUST LIKE EVERY ISLAND.
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Miulang.

In my life I broke plenny laws.

Yes, I don't always obey the law.

Not beeeg kine. Small kine.

But still, I wen break um?

So wot? Problem?
                        Get one beeg problem if you standing in front of one judge who tells you to do someting, anden you say "OK" anden you no do 'em. That's called "contempt". It's not as bad if the law is in the books for everybody and you not da one standing in front of the judge who's looking you straight in the makas and that order only applies to you.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                          Eh, You all welcome to come Maui or anyother Island for that matter. We live on different Islands. a matter of 20-30 minutes apart. If I like I going fly to Kona for check out Kamuela, or hopp on over Oahu for shopping and eat chinese food( Maui no mo good kine). Take a relaxing trip to Kauai for check out Hanalei. Go on a day trip to Lanai and spend the day at Manale bay. Go check out the Ohana on Molokai. One thing I hope we all remember is respect for each other and each others Island.
                          So, come Maui get your Krispy Kreme, Guri-Guri and Manju.....No worry we share, JUST LIKE EVERY ISLAND.
                          Eh, gotta go Honolulu for the manapua and pepeiau too! 7-11 is a poor substitute for Honolulu manapua.

Miulang

Comment

I know of some great manju on Kaua`i (Lawai Mini Mart); I hear Maui has some ono manju as well, but I've not had it. Certainly better than doughnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              I know of some great manju on Kaua`i (Lawai Mini Mart); I hear Maui has some ono manju as well, but I've not had it. Certainly better than doughnuts.
                              Yes, the manju from Home Maid Bakery is no ka oi. So are the fruit turnovers from Sam Sato Store (home also of the famous Maui dried mein).

Miulang

Comment

Can't wait to see the Superferry head back to Maui with the passengers who are being allowed to return to the port they departed from.

Imagine a dozen passengers having the entire ship to themselves. What fun.

My cousin will be one of those passengers later this week when she returns to Oahu. I hope she slaps the spit out of any protesters who dare to touch her or her personal property.

Comment

Working...
                                X