This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

TRO just came out it appears. Just for Maui for now.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...841357260.html

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      maybe a project for my next trip, yeah? Doughnut research - mmmmmmmmmmmmm................. who wants to be my associate?
      Why, Homer Simpson, of course. DOH!
      Oh, and me too, of course.

But bad news:
      According to the Breaking News at this link, the TRO was granted. The article states, in part:

"A Maui judge today issued a temporary restraining order halting the Hawaii Superferry until a hearing can be held Wednesday to determine whether the company can continue operations in the absence of an environmental review by the state.
      "The ferry is in only its second day of commercial voyages between Honolulu, Maui and Kaua'i. It was not immediately clear how the order will affect today's scheduled visit to Kaua'i, which left Honolulu at 3 p.m. and is due to arrive at Nawiliwili Harbor at 6 p.m., departing back to Honolulu an hour later, arriving at 10 p.m."

(...)

"Not satisfied that the DOT had finished the work in time, August today added new instructions that only two cars per minute be allowed to exit the ferry property, and that four police officers be posted to direct traffic.
      "With only two cars allowed onto Pu'unene Avenue at a time, it took 55 minutes to get the nearly 90 disembarking vehicles onto the public road, even though at times the street was empty.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

All 18 pages of the filing and the court's decision are at this link in a PDF format.

However, on page 11 or 12 it appears that SuperFerry can continue to operate in order to return the previous riders to their point of origin. That oughta be interesting!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And now at this link from the Star-Bulletin:

"A Maui judge issued a temporary restraining order against the Hawaii Superferry's use of Kahului Harbor until a court hearing can be held within 10 days.
        "Judge Joseph Cardoza says the Superferry will not be allowed to use Pier 2 at the harbor but that the ferry's operators first are required to offer to return customers who already took the ship on its first two days of operation to their "home" port. After which, Hawaii Superferry must "immediately cease operations at Kahului Harbor," said Cardoza's order which was issued this afternoon."

(...)
        "Cardoza decided to grant the TRO motion until a hearing on the preliminary injunction is held, "not to exceed 10 days from the grant of this order unless the Court extends the order for good cause."
        "He wrote that "there will be less harm to customers who need to be returned to their ports of origin if action is taken at the earliest date."

But obviously many of those people planned on differing return dates, so the legal wording implies that SuperFerry could continue runs to and from Maui for the forseeable future, and easily up to the date of the actual hearing... even if only a handful of people (existing customers) each trip.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Why are these concerns being addressed here, and not directed to the Administrator/Moderators in private messages? Rather than fighting back and forth in so many threads about who is telling who what they should or can say here, perhaps let the person/persons who have control over HT can best decide how it should be handled.
          Telling other people what to do again, I see.

If you've got a problem with others taking threads off-topic, I would suggest you reconsider some of the off-topic posts you repeatedly make.

Like this:

Instead of dealing with HDOT for that, don't you have to work through HDOE? There have been plenty of threads about problems with them...
          And this:

They feared Mel would have 'em all busted.
          And this:

Which is why you gotta find something better than Krappy Kremes. ANY doughnut tastes great when you get 'em hot (which is their primary marketing, of course), but by comparison, KK ranks mighty low in overall quality. (Yes, yes, I'll add 'IMO.')

Unfortunately, I don't really know what options you have there, so I can't make a good alternate recommendation to you yet - maybe a project for my next trip, yeah? Doughnut research - mmmmmmmmmmmmm................. who wants to be my associate?
          Back on-topic: The TRO is a farce. I wonder how long it will be until the HSF folks sue the state over the loss of revenue.

Comment

we were talking about this at lunch today. My jaw almost dropped at their fear of the superferry: now all those homeless are just going to move to our isle. They are going to drive onto our isle. Bring their drugs over much easier.

It isn't the barnacles and coral and whales that they were worried about; it's the riffraff.... ::shakes head::

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              we were talking about this at lunch today. My jaw almost dropped at their fear of the superferry: now all those homeless are just going to move to our isle. They are going to drive onto our isle. Bring their drugs over much easier.

It isn't the barnacles and coral and whales that they were worried about; it's the riffraff....
              What a load of crap... coming from your co-workers, of course.

The Superferry tickets, before the fare sale, were MORE expensive than getting on an airplane.

Why haven't the homeless flown to the neighbor islands on GO!'s $19 fares?

All the "riffraff" from Oahu are going to screw up the Big Island? Then it might be fair to say that some of the "riffraff" from the Big Island are screwing things up here for us.

The NIMBY attitudes from some neighbor island people is worse than some of the spew that comes from recent mainland arrivals to Oahu.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Did you miss all the information about HSF inspecting each and every vehicle for that very situation?

All I read is their policy that "Excessively dirty or muddy vehicles will not be permitted". This does not address dried mud in undercarriages that usually doesnt break loose until it is bounced around, like on a rough trail to a remote fishing spot.

Utterly ridiculous. If the HSF brings over 800 people, does anyone in their right mind really believe all 800 are going fishing? Sheesh. Let's be generous and say that a dozen people are going fishing. Anyone who thinks that will cause overcrowding or depletion is just stupid.

Lets just say out of your dozen people only one of them is with a group that will poach the reef. Right now on Maui I can find lobster walking around in the daytime. 1 to 2 years after HSF gives Oahu's poachers access this will no longer happen. GUARANTEED.

I wasn't aware that HSF will be stopping in Hana. What, now 800 people are all going to trample reefs? Add in the nonsense about Garibaldi's "profits" (I assume you meant his salary) and... see my "stupid people" comment above.

There is a road to Hana if you haven't heard. About a one hour ride from Kahului is a poachers dream come true. They could easily rake in enough lobster to cover their full fare ticket on HSF.

Stupid is as stupid does.

One thing I haven't even seen mentioned here is the use of Federal troops against US Citizens. This violates the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 Federal troops are prohibited from being used against US Citizens. Oh it happens from time to time, Waco, Ruby Ridge, the LA Riots but not that often. Add Nawiliwili to the list!

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                The TRO is a farce. I wonder how long it will be until the HSF folks sue the state over the loss of revenue.
                YGTBSM... With $5 fares its cheaper to park the damned thing than operate it.

Comment

"Not satisfied that the DOT had finished the work in time, August today added new instructions that only two cars per minute be allowed to exit the ferry property, and that four police officers be posted to direct traffic.
                  "With only two cars allowed onto Pu'unene Avenue at a time, it took 55 minutes to get the nearly 90 disembarking vehicles onto the public road, even though at times the street was empty.
                  Again, here's a restriction that should be applied evenly to all other similar circumstances. Whenever there's a large public event that comes to an end, isn't there the same problem of too many cars trying to get onto the road at the same time from a single location? For example, after the end of a concert or even a popular movie? Are there any restrictions at the shopping center when it closes during the Christmas rush? At stadiums after a football game?

All these roadblocks put in the way of the Superferry brings out the paranoid side of me. Some entity or organization, other than what we see, is behind all this.

Here's a parallel example: The Pew Charitable Trust funds a number of environmental movements including the ones that closed off the Northwest Hawaiian Islands to all fishing. It was claimed that it's to preserve the area's pristine state. I didn't seem to occur to anyone that there have been several fishing boats operating in the area for years. Apparently that pressure is too great (hogwash). If the fishing were excessive all these years, then how can it still be in pristine condition?

The Pew Charitable Trust, in turn, gets its money from big oil interests. It's speculated that these oil companies are supporting these "green" organizations to divert attention away from whatever it is the oil companies are doing that might hurt the environment elsewhere. So while it seems like these environmental organizations are pushing a noble cause, it's really an attempt to create a noisy diversion from other serious problems. You might want to note that the clamor to close off the NW Hawaiian Islands came from the Mainland, not Hawaii. So, yes, guess who gave away a huge chunk of your state (the NWHI is larger than the state of California).

The same scenario, I suspect, is going on with the Superferry. There are companies that will lose a lot of business if another shipping company is able to easily and conveniently transport a couple hundred cars from one island to the next. Until now there was only one way to do it, and it is a very inconvenient and expensive process. It was also a very risky one in which a lot of people have complained about items disappearing from their vehicles.

What or who is truly behind these protests? Perhaps someone found a way to get the "enviros" fired up against the Superferry. After all, the claims of potential damage by the Superferry don't make any sense when weighed against all existing forms of transport. But if enough people yell loud enough and long enough, someone in a position to foul up the process is bound to take notice. And so there's now a TRO in place.

These companies will find ways to support the protestors efforts in ways that aren't obvious. They'll make it look like the movement to stop the Superferry is actually a grass-roots campaign. Courts and lawyers are expensive. Someone is shoveling a huge pile of money to stop the Superferry. Perhaps because some companies are at risk of losing even more money due to a reduction of cars and trucks to ship between the islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
                    One thing I haven't even seen mentioned here is the use of Federal troops against US Citizens. This violates the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 Federal troops are prohibited from being used against US Citizens. Oh it happens from time to time, Waco, Ruby Ridge, the LA Riots but not that often. Add Nawiliwili to the list!
                    That is the most ridiculous comment I've read all day. Who gives these people the right to try to illegally block a vessel from docking ? Explain that one to me I'd like to hear this one. Can't these people afford to go through the legal system, like the groups on Maui did, to fight HSF from serving Kauai ?
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      But currently based on airfares ranging anywhere from $1-39 each way, it seems that it's cheaper to remain flying back and forth and that includes renting a car as well. I'm all for the Super Ferry but I think those prices are outrageous can I not get Two Las Vegas package deals for that $630 price??

Aj
                      I fully expect HSF to have periodic "sales" too (interesting concept...competing against yourself for your own customers ) as long as there's an airfare war going on. It would be a great deal for locals if they could offer $19 fares too that go!, HA and AQ have (plus their 30% fuel surcharge).

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[Right now on Maui I can find lobster walking around in the daytime. 1 to 2 years after HSF gives Oahu's poachers access this will no longer happen.
                        Interesting. Having been a diver for a quarter century, I have never seen a lobster walking around in the daytime. They're usually hiding in holes and come out only at night.

Comment

Back on-topic: The TRO is a farce. I wonder how long it will be until the HSF folks sue the state over the loss of revenue.
                          It probably won't happen unless a permanant injuction is placed on HSF from serving Kahului in 10 days. If a permant injunction is imposed, you'll
                          see a whole slew of lawsuits happen. It won't be pretty,nor it will put Hawaii in a positive light. It will give a bigger black eye to investors who potentially
                          want to invest money here.I betcha the Sierra Club folks, a saying "Viva People's Republic of Hawaii."
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Not really. The Posse Comitatus Act doesn't cover the Coast Guard, who I believe were at Nawiliwili on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Lets just say out of your dozen people only one of them is with a group that will poach the reef. Right now on Maui I can find lobster walking around in the daytime. 1 to 2 years after HSF gives Oahu's poachers access this will no longer happen. GUARANTEED.
                              It's this type of NIMBY attitude that's such a joke. GUARANTEED how, exactly? You don't know.

Originally posted by Star of Gladness
                              YGTBSM... With $5 fares its cheaper to park the damned thing than operate it.
                              YGTBSM? Whatever. You obviously have no understanding of the business model. There's no point in arguing with ignorance.

Comment

What a load of crap... coming from your co-workers, of course.

The Superferry tickets, before the fare sale, were MORE expensive than getting on an airplane.

Why haven't the homeless flown to the neighbor islands on GO!'s $19 fares?

All the "riffraff" from Oahu are going to screw up the Big Island? Then it might be fair to say that some of the "riffraff" from the Big Island are screwing things up here for us.

The NIMBY attitudes from some neighbor island people is worse than some of the spew that comes from recent mainland arrivals to Oahu.

These people were not my coworkers, but two edumakated business owners and their two managers.

*sigh*

when it became clear to me that it was arguing with paranoia, there was no sense in arguing.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X