Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

So WOT? Am I the only one that got a $40 round trip for a family of 3, plus their car on the SupahFerry?
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by zztype View Post
    So WOT? Am I the only one that got a $40 round trip for a family of 3, plus their car on the SupahFerry?

YEAH, you going be first! Wea you guyz going? Enjoy da excursion.
    ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

We wanted to go Kauai, but they no go Kauai on Saturday, so we went Maui instead. Goin' spend Labor Day weekend, go visit my sister and brother, go make trouble, go up Haleakala, visit the winery at Ulupalakua. 2nd day, we might try go Hana just fo' go.

Yeah! Didn't plan on taking ANOTHER family vacation this year. Just kinda fell into our laps! Mahalo SupahFerry!

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
    Believe it or not, I still have contacts on Maui who are well connected in the community.
    I don't believe it. I think you're saying that to cover for the BS you spew.

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
    As PJ says; "AINOKEA".
    For you to try and use my name to advance your point of view is pretty pathetic.

At least I'm not the only one (or two) who see through the lies, fear-mongering and all-around BULL.

Oh, and I got $5 fares to Kauai for two cars and eight people. We're gonna holoholo next week!

VERY cool that Blaine and Joe got tickets! Congratulations to both of ya. I'm looking forward to your impressions afterward.
    And man, I can only imagine how many calls HSF got this morning when sales started for the $5 tickets. Must've overwhelmed their website too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Actually I think Superferry did a pretty good job of informing the public on the availability of space for the $5 promotion. I checked a few times today and they updated a list of voyages that were sold out or nearly sold out. All of the ones for tomorrow and next weekend went fast.... so ditto on the congrats to Blaine and PJ... I think the people here will expect your reports and impressions after you both return.

Hopefully the enviro wacks and the court don't put a kibosh on this come Monday.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    Oh, and I got $5 fares to Kauai for two cars and eight people. We're gonna holoholo next week!
    Woo hoo! Yeah! I'm not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Actually I think Superferry did a pretty good job of informing the public on the availability of space for the $5 promotion. I checked a few times today and they updated a list of voyages that were sold out or nearly sold out. All of the ones for tomorrow and next weekend went fast.... so ditto on the congrats to Blaine and PJ... I think the people here will expect your reports and impressions after you both return.

Hopefully the enviro wacks and the court don't put a kibosh on this come Monday.
    EXACTLY! And LikaNui, their site was responding quickly all day. Their telephone service pretty much sucked, but the website was gangbusters! And that's coming from someone who has been on the website end of a Slashdotting or two.

I hope the whacks don't kill my cheap vacation.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    For all we know the folks at the SuperFerry may have already drafted their EIS for just in case.
    Well a good environemental engineer friend of mine who works for an engineering firm in Honolulu that does EIS' has told me quietly that they in fact have been drafting an EIS for SF for quite some time now...just in case.

If I were gonna run a venture as big as SF I'd make sure I covered my ass before the inaugural launch with an ace up my sleeve. If I recall one of the partners of SF is a lawyer.

Nobody does something this big and not prepare for a worst case scenerio...unless it's the government.

First point, a million and one references here to the contrary notwithstanding, the HSC is calling for an EA (environmental assessment), not an EIS (environmental impact statement). The former does not go into nearly as much depth (and public input) as the latter, but the EA may or may not trigger an EIS.

Second point, the comments a few pages back suggesting a possible appeal of the HSC decision to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals are false. Federal appeals courts deal only with, duh, federal matters. This is not (yet) a federal matter.
    Last edited by poinographer; August 26th, 2007 at 06:42 AM. Reason: grammar

here is a link to the "friends of the superferry" website....there is a petition there that you can sign and some other info...most of it pretty generic.... the site was probabl created by HSF as self promotion.....but it may help to send in a petition.
    http://www.hawaiisuperferryfriends.com/main/petition

Exclamation Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Thanks for the clarifications, Doug! Though an EA is less involved as an EIS, are the estimates of the time one would take still accurate? Or is everyone thinking EIS incorrectly?

Craig, it'd be neat of Hawaii Superferry had a near-complete EA/EIS to whip out as the final trump card... but I can't help but think they would've done so before having to basically give away their first couple of weeks of inventory and firing up the system two days early!

It's amazing the level of general interest there is in this thing. My youngest son's birthday party was yesterday, and everyone was talking about nabbing those $5 fares. Three sets of cousins got through, one didn't. They were calling each other and reserving for each other. And this was at 6 a.m.!

I honestly believe any environmental assessment should be used as the last defense as the nail in the coffin to any detractors. If you don't need your secret weapon, why use it?

I wonder how the fanfare will be when the first cars roll off the dock in Maui. I'm sure the news cameras will be there to record this historic event.

I loved this quote from the SB article about the HSF in today's paper: "Hilo resident Brenda McRae quipped, "It's a good thing there were no protesters around when the airlines started. Otherwise we'd still be using canoes.""

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
    I loved this quote from the SB article about the HSF in today's paper: "Hilo resident Brenda McRae quipped, "It's a good thing there were no protesters around when the airlines started. Otherwise we'd still be using canoes.""
    I just read that article and thought the same thing! That should have been on the front page in big letters!

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by zztype View Post
    I just read that article and thought the same thing! That should have been on the front page in big letters!

Blaine
    Could you imagine the Oahu warriors protesting the arrival of Kamehameha? Oh wait they did.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Could you imagine the Oahu warriors protesting the arrival of Kamehameha? Oh wait they did.
    Yes, they did. They had their say, then Kamehameha I moved right on in and picked the spot for his hale.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications, Doug! Though an EA is less involved as an EIS, are the estimates of the time one would take still accurate? Or is everyone thinking EIS incorrectly?
    IIRC, the law requires certain minimum time periods for publishing an announcement and gathering the information/comments. My guess would be months for an EA, but possibly weeks. An EA is something that could, in theory, have been close to completed by HSF in advance, but the time limits would still apply.

An EIS, on the other hand, would be hard to (correctly) draft in advance because an EIS needs to solicit, research, and respond to the full range of public concerns/comments. Many of those topics are already known, but more could emerge.

My guess is that HSF would not rush the EA because of the risk that the Court (which, as I understand it, intends to remain a player in this process) could make them do a more complete draft or, worst case for HSF, require an EIS.

Hawaii Superferry leaves on her inaugural commercial passenger voyage to Maui early this morning.

Alaka'i blew her horn as she made a pass near NCL's incoming Pride of Aloha cruise ship.

More photos at my Flickr Superferry album.
    I'm still here. Are you?

what's funny about NCL's ships is when the dock here in Hilo, you see a few brave tourists attempt to walk to Hilo Hattie's up the road from the docks.

Right on, Mel. You are too good! Nice shots captured a historic moment.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by Konaguy View Post
    I find this attempt by HSF to jump the gun by starting service before the environmentalists can file their legal motions very questionable. Its like they are trying the flaunt the decision made by the Hawaii Supreme Court.
    It's part of the game of chess. I can think of a couple of reasons for doing so. First, I suspect the courts are less likely to shutdown something that's operating then something that has yet to start. Or, if they did, HSF's lawsuit would have more standing or at least greater reward. It would prove that nothing else stood in the way of starting.

Second, I think it gives some real data on the impact of the HSF. You don't have to be a chess master to see what's coming. A EA/EIS will have to be done and the no-sayers will challenge those numbers substituting the worst case scenario for fact. (Perhaps unloading the entire SF in one traffic light cycle ) With the HSF running, it's gives a reality check to those numbers. The no-sayers can't be as extreme and the residents can separate reality from hype.

The $5 fare was a good move! It's hard for people to complain too loudly about the final kinks that need to be worked out when they get that cheap a fare. Given the sudden moving up of the starting date, they needed to provide incentive to get things rolling. Most people have to plan things at least a week in advance if not more. And a lightly loaded ferry would make everyone doubters about the long term prospects.

The airlines are staying out of it because the don't want to get into a 4-way fare war. They can do so because they see the HFS and airline as a different product.

There already are preparations being made for an EIS in conjunction with the Year 2030 Master Plan for Kahului Harbor. In this "Environmental Impact Preparation Statement" issued in Feb. of this year, there are 3 alternatives being studied: Alternative A-Expand Piers 1, 2, and 4 for cargo operations and development of the west breakwater for passenger operations; Alternative B-Cargo at West breakwater and passenger operations at Pier 2; or no changes. Under this alternative, a new Pier 4, already approved under the 2025 Master Plan will still be constructed to accomodate offloading of fuel. The EIS that is the result of the studying of the alternatives is the one that's supposed to be delivered last month by Belt Collins. HSF doesn't have to have its own EIS because they are included in this general EIS for Kahului Harbor.

Alternatives 1 or 2 will require some major kala from the State for improving the West breakwater and dredging of the harbor. More than likely it will come down to choosing either Alternative A or B because every harbor user is concerned about the current mix of passenger and cargo use within the same general area (safety concern for people) and because of the parking issues.

Miulang

P.S. Here's an interesting series of articles from the Hawai'i State Chambers of Commerce that describes how critical timely management of all harbor resources will be to the continued growth of the State.
    Last edited by Miulang; August 26th, 2007 at 10:45 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

Looking at Mel's photo about the SuperFerry passing the NCL ship and you see the size of the SuperFerry is smaller when compared to a cruise ship.

And when it docks at a pier (either on Maui or Kauai) it's stay on the pier is only about 1 to 1-1/2 hours not an entire night.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    the no-sayers will challenge those numbers substituting the worst case scenario for fact.
    Shoots, there's been one mainland person doing that here on HT for months and months already. Lots of innuendo and guesses and maybes, without any hard facts. Never won her any points or converts, but. Won her plenny scorn.

The great news is that continual long-term observation of all print and broadcast media (and several intelligent message boards) very clearly shows that a very high majority of residents want the SuperFerry.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast