X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Lika, the farmer's coop is looking at HSF as an alternative
    And they're looking at it FAVORABLY, as your own linked article very clearly indicated!

Where do you get that I was misquoting anybody?
    No, where do YOU get that I claimed you were "misquoting"? What I did say was that you intentionally and maliciously IGNORED the main thrust of that article. I never said you misquoted it.
    Try to pay attention.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Well, Gov. Lingle, at the request of the Coast Guard, told HSF to cancel its sailing to Nawiliwili for at least today.

"I am concerned about public safety," the governor said at a press conference at the Hawaii Convention Center.

The ferry suspension is the result of protests Monday at Nawiliwili Harbor on Kauai that prevented the Alakai from docking and unloading passengers and vehicles. The Coast Guard and local police were unsuccessful in keeping swimming and surfing protestors from blocking the Alakai's path.

In a statement, the Superferry said it made the decision to cancel the trip after being told by the Coast Guard "that, contrary to previous assurances, it can no longer guarantee a safe passage for the Alakai and its passengers into and out of Nawiliwili Harbor on Kauai."
      Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        HSF will be extremely helpful to smaller film productions in our state. Instead of needing to pack and ship gear via barges or planes, fly drivers outer island, then rent cargo vans to pick up the gear at the airport plus a daily rental for the length of the shoot, prod. companies will be able to load their own vans and send them along with the drivers on the ferry. No expensive airline cargo charges. No cargo van rentals. No loading and unloading gear. This will definitely streamline the process and help to keep budgets down.

Granted, this will be a small percentage of HSF's customers but every little bit helps, both for HSF and production.
        Tutusue, refreshing comment...something positive on how HSF will be beneficial. Thank you.
        ___
        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          And they're looking at it FAVORABLY, as your own linked article very clearly indicated!

No, where do YOU get that I claimed you were "misquoting"? What I did say was that you intentionally and maliciously IGNORED the main thrust of that article. I never said you misquoted it.
          Try to pay attention.
          Heh. Stop getting so mad, Lika. It's not good for your ticker. Glossyp's question was about the farmers who had concerns. And I have been told by the mods that I can't quote a whole story, so...

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

“They should slow down and not make such a big wave,” Zajac said. “What are we supposed to do, stop what we’re doing so they can make a big buck?”
            See? More class envy. I am for protecting the environment and the whales and limiting development and pollution and traffic but these fools are hurting those worthy goals.

They don't care about any of the supposed "environmental" issues. They are all suffering from class envy. They sheer size of the ship I guess conjours up sexual insecurities as well.

Comment

No, but some paddlers from the Hawaiian Canoe Club (da best in da state!) got a little freaked out on Sunday morning when they were trying to put into shore right before the ferry docked at Kahului...

Miulang
              Miulang,

Umm...it's ok. Post on.
              ___
              "Be god to each other."

Comment

Shoot. I really hope this Kabuki drama gets settled tomorrow. It's causing too much pilikia between locals and locals now.

And it's gotten a little worse for HSF, too. They just announced they are cancelling travel to Kauai indefinitely.

Miulang

Comment

Shoot. I really hope this Kabuki drama gets settled tomorrow. It's causing too much pilikia between locals and locals now.
                  So it was better when it was just "locals" versus "non-locals"?

And it's gotten a little worse for HSF, too. They just announced they are cancelling travel to Kauai Miulang
                  Thanks to you and your type of people in Hawaii. If all these actors really want to help Hawaii and the environment, they should be like you and MOVE out. Really. Not in the "you don't like it go back mainland" way but in the "put your money where your mouth is and give the islands a break from your consumption and pollution" way.

Comment

What is the difference between shipping a vehicle between islands (e.g. Oahu to Maui and back) on the Super Ferry vs. Young Brothers? I'm referring to both time AND money. Take into account the HSF fare for a passenger and the airfare on one of our airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      What is the difference between shipping a vehicle between islands (e.g. Oahu to Maui and back) on the Super Ferry vs. Young Brothers? I'm referring to both time AND money. Take into account the HSF fare for a passenger and the airfare on one of our airlines.
                      In my experience, shipping my vehicle on YB from Honolulu to Maui cost me about $300 and from the time I dropped it off at YB, (took a cab back to my HNL home because my flight left the next day and a cab to the airport) it took almost six days for me to pick up my car.

I then needed to ship my car from Maui to the Big Island and that cost another $300 and again the same deal, cab ride back to Maui home and then hustled a ride from a friend to the airport the next day, it took nearly 8 days for my car to arrive (covered in the thickest sea salt because it travels unconvered). The route from Maui to the Big Island makes a stop in Honolulu.

And then, I shipped my car for another $300 from the Big Island to Honolulu, again...same deal but this time I hustled rides since cab fare would have been insane due to the distance of the harbor to my Big Island home, and it took only 4 days.

With HSF, it should be about $60 one-way and I have my car immediately.

I NEED TO ADD: It would cost me between $44 - 62 one-way, depending on the day of travel and if it's 14 days in advance.
                      Last edited by infinitypro; August 28, 2007, 03:50 PM. Reason: Add passenger fares.
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Heh. Stop getting so mad, Lika.
                        Don't you dare presume to tell me what to do. You have earned no respect on this board, only scorn. That doesn't put you in a position to tell anyone anything.

It's not good for your ticker.
                        My ticker is healthy as the proverbial horse, not that it's any of your business. Which, of course, means that I will avidly continue to point out each and every piece of bullsh*t that you post.

Glossyp's question was about the farmers who had concerns. And I have been told by the mods that I can't quote a whole story, so...
                        So you quoted only a tiny fraction of a story -- the tiny fraction that supported your own Seattle-based biases. Well guess what -- I too quoted only a fraction of the story, so I did not violate the rules of HT but I DID provide the TRUE meaning of the story.
                        You're just too shameless to understand the difference.
                        But what do you have to say about the 200+ Maui farmers who support the SuperFerry?
                        What do you have to say about the President of that same group being on the SuperFerry's advisory council?!?
                        Stop ignoring the FACTS.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I know a guy who does production lighting and his van is stuffed full of very heavy equipment. Aside from the lights and cables there are dozens of sandbags. And they are, by definition, heavy. This past summer he had a lighting job on the Big Island and had to severely limit what he could bring along. That's like telling a contractor to cut his tool kit by 75%.

There are a lot of groups and organizations that would benefit from the Superferry's service. Canoe clubs could compete on neighbor islands and easily move their canoes and support crews. Boy Scout troops can do camping trips on the neighbor isles and not hassle with trying to herd two dozen boys with packs and equipment via the airlines.

Scuba divers can go to other venues for the weekend and not worry about risking the bends from taking a flight after diving.

Cycling clubs can bring bikes for a reasonable fee, and even have a support vehicle.

Organizations such as the Sierra Club occasionally go to the neighbor islands to do trail work and other environmental projects. They would benefit by being able to take picks, shovels, chainsaws, post hole diggers, etc. via the Superferry.

There's a lot of positive aspects to the concept of a fast and convenient interisland ferry system. It's been discussed for decades. Only now does a company have the guts to commit to a business plan and what happens? A small but vocal group of misinformed, misguided people do their best to sabotage it.

What these people really don't understand is that when all these folks come to their island they all do one thing in common: spend money. And this influx of revenue trickles down into the local economy in a wide variety of ways.

The destinations probably will take in more than visitors will take away. If it weren't true, Waikiki and Kihei wouldn't be overstuffed with hotels and condos.

Comment

When Oahu-Big Island trips become reality, it seems to me a "no-brainer" to select HSF when I need to ship a vehicle AND my equipment. I'd ride over on the ship with my vehicle, then drive off the dock. I prefer driving my own vehicle and my registration and insurance are good in all jurisdictions of this state.

The cost to transport my musical instruments on the airlines as excess and over-sized baggage is prohibitive ($50+ per piece). HSF is my answer.

Comment

This is just stupid.

A bunch of idiots put themselves in harm's way, in defiance of federal law and all common sense, and the solution is to tell the "harm" to stop?

What if these idiots decided to take their surfboards and lie down in the middle of the H-3 freeway? Would the police close the freeway indefinitely in the hope that the idiots would tire and go away?

NO! They would send in an army of police officers and haul them off to...Kaneohe State Hospital for mental examination! THEN they'd be thrown in jail for their stupid actions.

I think the governor should call out KPD, the Coast Guard, and, if those folks can't handle it, the National Guard to keep the area clear of riffraff.

If the KPD and the Coast Guard can't keep the harbor clear, then the National Guard certainly can cordon off the area to prevent large numbers of people from approaching or entering the harbor. That should make the Coasties' job a little easier.

Got tickets and ID for the ferry? Enter and go through the boarding process. No tickets? You're not allowed on the "tarmac," to follow the analogy of the airport. They should treat the harbor the same way.

If a protester gains entry to the harbor area, they should be shut down and hauled away before they can reach the water, or the craft.

If a protester gains entry to an airfield, they will be shut down in short order, as they could endanger other peoples' lives, as well as their own.

That's less likely with the ship, but the state should be able to keep unauthorized people away from the area while the ship arrives, disembarks, embarks and leaves, just as they do at the airports.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                                ... the state should be able to keep unauthorized people away from the area while the ship arrives, disembarks, embarks and leaves, just as they do at the airports.
                                Sometimes idiots can win a battle or two.

Lucky for them the Superferry is able to maneuver without tugs. Imagine these guys trying to stop a barge. Barges don't stop without a lot of help!

In the face of an illegal protest like this law enforcement should be allowed to give fair warning, then force them away with pepper spray. Arrest everyone or as many as they can detain. Turn them over to the feds and let these guys face a federal judge.

The other half of civil disobedience is the willingness to deal with the consequences. Don't run like cowards. Don't wait for the sun to go down and hide like roaches. Want to block the harbor and stop a ship? OK. But when the law comes, they should continue to stand their ground and let themselves be taken in and booked accordingly. That is, if they have the courage of their convictions.

Follow the example set by the civil rights movement in the 1960's. Rosa Parks did what she did because she believed to the deepst depth of her soul that she was right.

If these protesters aren't willing to allow themselves to get arrested and be processed as criminals, then they shouldn't participate. If they believe it they gotta live it.

By the way, Martin Luther King didn't throw rocks and pound on cars. That's not a good way to make friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X