Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 781

Thread: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

  1. #26

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Any reports on the arrival of the first voyage? Wondering how many protesters are there and what traffic has been created? Everyone's had their say, let's see some real numbers.

  2. #27

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Follow the money. If you are interested, here is a recording of the hearing before the Hawai'i Supreme Court that resulted in the Court's reversal of Judge Cardoza's earlier ruling (thanks, GH! ) It's about 1 1/2 hours long.

    And here's the judgment from the Court (the matter goes back to the Circuit courts, and a request for an injunction will be filed tomorrow on Maui).

    Oh, those wacko Garden Isle people!

    Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; August 26th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

  3. #28

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Sounds like the trip was rather uneventful which is great.

    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...750368194.html

  4. #29

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    Sounds like the trip was rather uneventful which is great.

    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...750368194.html
    This last sentence in that story sounds like most people just went holoholo for the day and got right back on the boat, though?

    Once arriving on Maui, passengers off-loaded, but then returned to the vessel for the return trip to Oahu. The ferry left Maui at 11 a.m. and was due back on Oahu about 2 p.m.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

  5. #30

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
    This last sentence in that story sounds like most people just went holoholo for the day and got right back on the boat, though?



    Miulang
    Considering the launch of service today was only a development just a day or two ago, I'm sure most folks made the travel plans last min. The point I'm more interested in is the impact at the harbor. And it sounds like it wasn't a big impact at all.

  6. #31

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    Considering the launch of service today was only a development just a day or two ago, I'm sure most folks made the travel plans last min. The point I'm more interested in is the impact at the harbor. And it sounds like it wasn't a big impact at all.
    The true test will come tomorrow, when people are heading to work. Sundays are generally lighter traffic days, although that particular stretch of Kaahumanu is crowded almost all the time now (and if you're headed in the direction of Wailuku, you have 3 major intersections within one block of each other to contend with with stoplights at each). And tomorrow the bank on the corner will be open for business. It happens to be one of the busier branches on Maui, and when the wackos staged their "simulation" a month or so ago, there were some minor altercations between the bank customers and the "ferry passengers" even with the rent-a-cops around to handle the situation.

    If the 2nd Circuit Court declines to issue an injunction tomorrow, the next critical date will be Nov. 3, when the DOT and HSF have to appear again before Judge August to show the results of their studies. At that point he could either order more mitigation, stop use of the facilities or say no more mitigation is required.

    Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; August 26th, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Kailua-Kona
    Posts
    2,640

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    1,700 people visited the HSF when it docked up in Kawaihae yesterday.
    http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...al/local01.txt

    My ex-girlfriend took this photo of HSF arriving up in Kawaihae yesterday.
    http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2007/...-kawaihae.html
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Just got off the ferry.

    Great trip.

    Zero problems in Kahului. The cars exit on Puunene Ave. near First Hawaiian Bank. No problems. Cars are held in the harbor area until traffic clears then the next round of cars stream out.

    A lot of people just went on a junket, returning the same day. But all cars needed to get off the ferry and reboard. So this was a good indication of what little impact this will have on traffic in Kahului.

    Return trip went around the north side Molokai. Spectacular views.

    Everything ran like clockwork, and the staff seemed to be on the ball. Smooth sailing, so to speak.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,243

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Just got back from a trip to Aloha Tower this afternoon. Took more photos of Superferry coming into the harbor, docking and watching the cars unload and then the next batch line up. Looked orderly, no traffic congestion with cars offloading. Was kind of slow and boring watching that happen, but judging by the load they had today, traffic impact from vehicles arriving off island to Honolulu is minimal.

    Pictures to be uploaded soon at my flickr site.
    I'm still here. Are you?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Just got off the ferry.

    Great trip.
    [...]
    Everything ran like clockwork, and the staff seemed to be on the ball. Smooth sailing, so to speak.
    Yippee! First report. Thanks, Dick. So, how rough was the Moloka`i Channel?

  11. #36

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Just got back from a trip to Aloha Tower this afternoon. Took more photos of Superferry coming into the harbor, docking and watching the cars unload and then the next batch line up. Looked orderly, no traffic congestion with cars offloading. Was kind of slow and boring watching that happen, but judging by the load they had today, traffic impact from vehicles arriving off island to Honolulu is minimal.

    Pictures to be uploaded soon at my flickr site.
    Nice pics, it looks so orderly and uneventful which is great!!!

    Anyone with pics from the Maui loading/unloading or even for Kauai?

  12. #37

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Just got back from a trip to Aloha Tower this afternoon. Took more photos of Superferry coming into the harbor, docking and watching the cars unload and then the next batch line up. Looked orderly, no traffic congestion with cars offloading. Was kind of slow and boring watching that happen, but judging by the load they had today, traffic impact from vehicles arriving off island to Honolulu is minimal.

    Pictures to be uploaded soon at my flickr site.
    Really nice shots, Mel. Thanks for taking them. I particularly like the one of the Alakai lit up by the sunrise as she left the harbor this morning.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    So, how rough was the Moloka`i Channel?
    It wasn't rough at all. Very calm seas today.

    I would suspect that even if it were rougher, the sail would be pretty nice. There was very little, if any, pitch or roll. Slight surge now and then. Kind of like riding an airplane with some turbulance. Walking around is a little stumbly... I likened it to being drunk without having had anything to drink.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Thumbs up Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    The Advertiser story said there were about a dozen protesters on Maui. But having just seen the footage on the news, the Advertiser clearly didn't mention that half of those dozen protesters were... children!!!
    Heh.
    Hehehehehe.
    Bwaaahahahaha!!!
    Hell, there are more SuperFerry protesters in Seattle than there are on Maui.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Palolo
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Just got off the ferry.

    Great trip.

    Zero problems in Kahului. The cars exit on Puunene Ave. near First Hawaiian Bank. No problems. Cars are held in the harbor area until traffic clears then the next round of cars stream out.

    A lot of people just went on a junket, returning the same day. But all cars needed to get off the ferry and reboard. So this was a good indication of what little impact this will have on traffic in Kahului.

    Return trip went around the north side Molokai. Spectacular views.

    Everything ran like clockwork, and the staff seemed to be on the ball. Smooth sailing, so to speak.
    One of my cousins just called from Maui, where she'll be spending a couple of days after riding the ferry over from Oahu.

    She basically echoed all of Dick's comments... no problems WHATSOEVER.

    Her biggest gripe was that the food wasn't that great (she got up too late to stop and pick something up on the way).

    A dozen protesters? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    Can't wait to ride the ferry myself!

  16. #41

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Hope Blaine and the rest had a good ride! I wanted to go but there were jobs to do and couldn't be rescheduled.

    KHON news reported at the end of their newscast that the Superferry was greeted by a bunch of surfers blocking the way into Nawiliwili harbor.

    The Coast Guard was dealing with the situation, letting them know that it's a federal offense to interfere with maritime commerce.

    The USCG should just arrest them, charge them accordingly, and let the SF do its work.

    When they get out of federal prison these same people should march out onto the runways to foul up the airlines and run out onto the freeways and try to stop some trucks, too.

  17. #42

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Approximately 250 people showed up at Nawiliwili Harbor to protest the arrival of the Alakai. The boat was delayed from docking while the Coast Guard dealt with the protesters.

    The 350-foot Alakai arrived near the mouth of the harbor around 6 p.m. today but was turned back at the request of the Coast Guard due to the large gathering at the harbor, said John Garibaldi, Hawaii Superferry's president and chief executive officer.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Palolo
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
    Approximately 250 people showed up at Nawiliwili Harbor to protest the arrival of the Alakai. The boat was delayed from docking while the Coast Guard dealt with the protesters.
    Nobody bothers to show up on Maui, so Chicken Little re-focuses on Kauai?

    Pathetic.

  19. #44

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
    Approximately 250 people showed up at Nawiliwili Harbor to protest the arrival of the Alakai. The boat was delayed from docking while the Coast Guard dealt with the protesters.



    Miulang
    I heard the protesters were out on surfboards

  20. #45

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Kauaiians like to remind the rest of Hawaii their island was never conquered!

  21. #46
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
    The Coast Guard was dealing with the situation, letting them know that it's a federal offense to interfere with maritime commerce. The USCG should just arrest them, charge them accordingly, and let the SF do its work.
    Indeed. But I wouldn't give the whackos jail time. I'd make 'em do community service.
    Like building facilities for the SuperFerry.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Foster Village
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    I don't go 'til Saturday. We booked a vacation on Maui over the Labor Day weekend for $40. Hahahaha! Wonderful stuff.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Captain Cook, Hawaii
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    out of curiousity i was wondering if anybody has links to any BB or Forums that the three groups that are against progress in the 21st century have on the web.... i have done some searching but havent been able to find anything.... it would be interesting to know what those folks chat about.... i have a feeling that there isn't anything like that because it would put on the record what their agenda is and there would be little control as to what the way out whackos would post which may hurt their cause.....so if any one knows of any links it would be fun to check them out.

  24. #49

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Quote Originally Posted by escondido100 View Post
    out of curiousity i was wondering if anybody has links to any BB or Forums that the three groups that are against progress in the 21st century have on the web.... i have done some searching but havent been able to find anything.... it would be interesting to know what those folks chat about.... i have a feeling that there isn't anything like that because it would put on the record what their agenda is and there would be little control as to what the way out whackos would post which may hurt their cause.....so if any one knows of any links it would be fun to check them out.
    The group on Kaua'i is very organized. They have an organization called Hui-R that's been holding organizational meetings for quite awhile. They are the ones who mobilized the Kaua'i people today.

    Maui has some groups, but they aren't quite as well organized as Hui-R. I think the 3 environmental groups who are leading the opposition on Maui are depending on the 2nd Circuit Court to issue an injunction tomorrow.

    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Returned to Molokai
    Posts
    3,419

    Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

    Wow. Kaua'i is a hostile place fo' visit.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •