KGMB 9 News - New Set, New Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB 9 News - New Set, New Look

I think the morning news shows are an important news outlet, to be sure. The Advertiser, for example, has to lock up its print content by late evening in order to show up on your doorstep. And even the evening television news tends to stop chasing stories at about 3 p.m. in order to get footage to the edit bay by 5 p.m. I have no doubt there's a lot of "real news" between then and dawn to catch up on.

But I also expect a little more fluff, a little more personality, a little more caffeine, basically, to start off the day. I think the morning news viewer's brain is in a completely different state than that of someone tuning in at 6 p.m., and they adjust to that. So yeah, there's more live music, more cooking demonstrations, more boy scouts and their puppies.

Oddly enough, at least on KITV, I find their 5 p.m. newscast to be the real lightweight slot compared to the morning show. Half of their news stories are, "Tune in for more at 6 p.m.!" The other half are Dick Allgire's cooking segments with Ruby (and whatshername) and Dick Allgire's ridiculous recycled, canned "health segments," which are basically off-the-shelf garbage about fringe treatments or sensationalized "discoveries" (all featuring interviews with people who, frankly, don't match Hawaii's demographics in the least).
    Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Oh, and I think KGMB should get Jen Ozawa to talk about Lost every Friday morning! Why not? She's got the credentials!
    Seeing as how "LOST" airs on KITV, this would seem somewhat unlikely!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Unless something else happened between 10:30pm the night before to whatever time the Sunrise show ends, that's what she'll be doing.

Would be nice if she can roam the neighbor islands and broadcast on-location real-time. After all, not all local news are limited to Oahu. Maybe KGMB9 should get a mini version of the Superferry, so they can load up their gears and one mobile communication van to anywhere in the state (barring protestors).
      I agree but I know Ramsey will do a great job, no matter what she reports.

I think that's a good thing, that most of Hawaii goes to sleep after a certain time, including a lot of the crooks.

Comment

I guarantee that we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg with that new set.

Im sure that thing can show video, live or recorded and do a ton of other cool tricks.

And it probably plays ps3 and wii quite well

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
          And it probably plays x360 and wii quite well
          LOL

I laugh when they cut into a breaking news story, and you'll see halo 3 or Mario party shown the background.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            As has been pointed out, there's very little news that happens before bedtime and bagel-time.
            Very little in the way of local news, true. But by 6AM HST, Washington D.C. is already on lunch break so there's a fair amount of national news out there that's not in the morning paper.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Very little in the way of local news, true. But by 6AM HST, Washington D.C. is already on lunch break so there's a fair amount of national news out there that's not in the morning paper.
              When I see the local tv news guys switch to national news stories i tune out.

I can watch that stuff on the 5:30pm casts.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                LOL

I laugh when they cut into a breaking news story, and you'll see halo 3 or Mario party shown the background.

Wii party at KGMB!

Who's in?

Comment

The new set is distracting...just when KGMB news was my preferred evening news. Too much bright lights, the newscasters glow and it is very distracting. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

It takes some getting used to. Maybe that's a good thing because it means it's like nothing we've ever seen before, esp. in Hawaii.

I love it when they use the blue colors with the KGMB logo and when the anchors color-match their outfits to highlight themselves with the screen.

Very cool.

The video images of water/beaches that they show behind the anchors though, that is a bit disappointing. I thought the video would be sharper, more vibrant.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                      Wii party at KGMB!

Who's in?
                      Maybe Howard Dicus can setup a party there.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I like the set. But I do believe those TV screens behind the "9" Logo are a bit distracting. Looks like they're tuned to random tv channels. Hopefully I don't see late-nite HBO. Just kiddin'.

But again, are they still planning to move out of their Kapiolani studio and move to another place in the future? If they are, they're definitely going to have a new set right? Just wondering...

Comment

Working...
                        X