Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads NFL Pick'em 2007

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
    Why are we using a system with a spread? We are not gambling here, not exchanging money. I'M PLAYING UNDER PROTEST THE NEXT 15 WEEKS!
    Hey, don't be like that. The spread doesn't imply gambling or anything; rather, it adds another dimension to the game. It asks you not only to know which team is more likely to win, but whether or not it's likely to win by a given amount. I didn't expect Buffalo to play Denver that closely, so even given the spread (three points), I'd have taken Denver. I was wrong! Buffalo played a lot better than I'd have guessed.

So yes. It's going to be a more challenging game than a straight-up pick'em, but it's still just a game and we'll all be playing by the same rules.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Again, 'twas not my intention to have the spread in effect. I'm not a fan myself, especially given my sports ignorance and the fact that I too think that, say, Team X winning by 3 points is still a loss because they were supposed to win in a blowout. Unfortunately, it does seem to be the case, and apparently the system won't let me change it now.

I agree, though, it just makes the game a little more complex. (Bad news for me, but sports fans? Nah!) Consider it a compromise between a straight-up pick'em and a full fantasy setup wherein you actually build a full team each with with a roster of players and win or lose depending on a multitude more factors.

Comment

I actually like the spread, I got pounded this week because of it, but I like the added dimension. Imagine that UH had a 24 point handicap this past week and the Vegas bettors lost that one. Congratulations to ploal5333 and INFINITYPRO for kickin' okole. Just more ground for me to make up

Comment

Originally posted by Kawika0320 View Post
          I actually like the spread, I got pounded this week because of it, but I like the added dimension. Imagine that UH had a 24 point handicap this past week and the Vegas bettors lost that one. Congratulations to ploal5333 and INFINITYPRO for kickin' okole. Just more ground for me to make up
          Thank you. We'll see how it goes next week!
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Still don't like the spread, but anyway...

Exciting early game Sunday: Colts @ Titans. Love both teams but gotta pull for Norm Chow and the Titans. Some of the Jag fans thought Norm's play-calling is what won the game for Tennessee. Isn't life great!

Comment

I said that I would do some research, and "some" is the operable word. I considered not breaking away from the "system" that seemed to surprise us both, but there is a sense of responsibility in approaching our picks with "some" seriousness. And so, after reading about three sentences worth of each teams' performance last week, plus gut and a shrug of the shoulders, here's our picks for the 2nd week:

BTW the spread just totally confused us, made us second guess and well, I am not complaining just typing out loud.

HOUSTON
              ATLANTA
              INDIANAPOLIS
              SAN FRANCISCO
              GREEN BAY
              PITTSBURGH
              CINCINNATI
              NEW ORLEANS
              MINNESOTA
              MIAMI
              SEATTLE
              NEW YORK JETS
              KANSAS CITY
              OAKLAND
              NEW ENGLAD
              WASHINGTON

And, the tie breakers...we have no strategy except to guess, and hope. Does anyone else have a strategy for the tie breakers?

Good luck to everyone!
              ___
              "Be god to each other."

Comment

My picks this week:
                Hou
                Atl
                Ten
                SF
                GB
                Pit
                Cin
                TB
                Min
                Mia
                Ari
                NYJ
                KC
                Den
                NE
                Was

Picking the wins this week was frustrating. I know I've made it known how I feel re the spread, to me the wins are more of a guessing game, it doesn't really pick the winner. So it really is 'good luck to everyone'.

Comment

FavoriteMonTueWedFinalUnderdogCAROLINA6.56.56.56.5HoustonTo me, Carolina looks like a bust teamJACKSONVILLE10.510.010.010.0AtlantaSame with the Jaguars. 10 points is too muchIndianapolis7.07.07.07.0TENNESSEEI think the Colts are going to open it up and throw a lot, much like they did in 2005ST. LOUISOff (0)3.03.03.0San Francisco?? When in dount, go with the home teamNEW YORK (NYG)Off (0)0.00.00.0Green BayAnyone see Lorenzen last week? Watching that guy move in the pocket was pure comedy. I can't wait to see a full game, if it's on TV.PITTSBURGH9.09.510.09.5BuffaloNot sure how the Bills will react to Everitt's injury. There's 2 ways to handle it.

CincinnatiOff (0)6.56.56.5CLEVELAND3 more weeks until the Brady Quinn era begins.

New Orleans3.03.03.53.5TAMPA BAYBounce back game for New Orleans. If they struggle this week, they will struggle all season. I did not like their showing last week.

DETROIT3.03.03.03.0MinnesotaCan the Lions really start 2-0?

Dallas3.53.53.53.5MIAMIIs Romo for real?

SeattleOff (0)3.03.03.0ARIZONAI'm failry sure this will be a blowout, but the Seahawks have a way of playing down to their opposition. Still, I think they can handle the 3 points.

BALTIMOREOff (0)Off (0)11.010.0New York (NYJ)10 points too much here.CHICAGO11.512.012.012.0Kansas City12 points not enough.

DENVER9.59.510.010.0OaklandLove the Broncs, probably will win, but 10 points is too much when you have a "rookie" QB.NEW ENGLAND3.53.53.53.5San DiegoPay-back for last year's playoffs. Game should be a beauty.PHILADELPHIA7.07.07.06.5WashingtonMcNabb has to play better. He's on my fantasy team.

Okay, so it looks like I can't just cut and paste the table into HT. I don't have time to change it (ie, too lazy) so sorry about this. I'll do it differently next week.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
                    Okay, so it looks like I can't just cut and paste the table into HT. I don't have time to change it (ie, too lazy) so sorry about this. I'll do it differently next week.
                    What a mess! Sometimes it's hard to know your pick:
                    'Dallas3.53.53.53.5MIAMIIs Romo for real?'

Comment

Okay, here we go:
                      Teams in ALL CAPS are home teams.
                      My picks are in bold.

CAROLINA 6.5 Houston
                      That spread seems generous; Houston is still a big unknown, and I have never been sold on David Garrard. However, Steve Smith showed last week that he's still the man, so until the Panthers are beaten, I'll ride them.

JACKSONVILLE 10.0 Atlanta
                      Here's a huge spread that I think is too conservative. Jacksonville HAS GOT to run the ball, though. I do not know what got into the Jags last week. Two things you know about the Jags' run game: Fred Taylor will get hurt, and until he does, he will be terrific.

Indianapolis 7.0 TENNESSEE
                      The Titans cannot keep up with the Colts. Especially not if the Indy D does anything like what it did last week.

ST. LOUIS 3.0 San Francisco
                      Everyone on the Rams has something to prove. Expect them to.

NEW YORK (NYG) 0.0 Green Bay
                      Manning and Burress looked great last week, while the Packers looked weak. Still, you think Favre is going to go two weeks in a row without a TD pass? Expect Donald Driver to score two.

PITTSBURGH 9.5 Buffalo
                      Oh man, I smell an upset here, especially with a 9.5 spread. I'm going against my gut here and giving the 9.5 points.

Cincinnati 6.5 CLEVELAND
                      You have to be kidding me. I'll give 13 points and take the Bengals here. What are they thinking in Vegas? The Browns don't have a QB and Chad Johnson says if he finds the end zone this week, he's taking a leap into the Dawg Pound. Bengals in a blowout.

New Orleans 3.5 TAMPA BAY
                      Another tough one. I'll take the points and the home team. I do not think last week's loss to the Colts was a fluke for the Saints. I think it's going to be a long season for them.

DETROIT 3.0 Minnesota
                      Kitna to Williams for three scores in a shootout.

Dallas 3.5 MIAMI
                      To answer ItsGoTime's question, I am not convinced that Romo is for real, but he was more convincing last week than I've ever seen him. Why am I finding myself liking T.O., my least favorite player in the NFL?

Seattle 3.0 ARIZONA
                      Another conservative spread. Watch Hasselbeck air it out this week.

BALTIMORE 10.0 New York (NYJ)
                      The problem with this spread is that it assumes the Ravens can score ten points, and that's highly questionable. I think they'll win this game, but not by 10.

CHICAGO 12.0 Kansas City
                      Again, this is too big a spread. I like Damon Huard and don't see him letting the Chicago D score, which is the only way the Bears beat the Chiefs by 12. Another game where the winning team won't beat the spread.

DENVER 10.0 Oakland
                      Fact: The Raiders have not beaten an AFC West rival in something like three years. Fact: The Raiders will probably start Daunte Culpepper, who has only been with the team for a month and a half. Fact: The Broncos have two of the best cornerbacks in the league. Still: The Broncos D looked weak last week, a lot weaker than it should have. I'm taking the points and my favorite team.

NEW ENGLAND 3.5 San Diego
                      Patriots in a blow-out.

PHILADELPHIA 6.5 Washington
                      I want to see Westbrook explode.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
                        What a mess! Sometimes it's hard to know your pick:
                        'Dallas3.53.53.53.5MIAMIIs Romo for real?'
                        Ok - that's my excuse for this week I know..... I need a new system. Maybe make my picks and then go with the opposite.

Comment

Here's where things stand as we enter Week 3. Despite the frustration of the spread, ploal5333 still leads, followed by INFINITYPRO and then a three way tie for third -- ItsGoTime!, Scrivener's Bartlebys, and the Ka'u Pahala Farmboys.

Comment

Oh, I wish I were tied for third, but those are just the week's results, not the cumulative scores. I came out on the losing end of too many close games to have caught up that much.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Some wacked out results this week. What are the odds that Derek Anderson throws 5 TDs for the rest of the season? How anemic does that Saints offence look? How often does freezing the kicker (ala Mike Shanahan this week) actually work? How annoying are these questions.

I'm getting a handle on this season. My picks for week 3 (which I think I'll make when I arrive on O'ahu this week, whoo hoo) will be the ones to watch this week. You have my money back guarantee.

Comment

Okay, I just realized that I won't have internet when I land, so all of you get my picks early. Home team in caps, my picks in italics

Indianapolis HOUSTON Colts didn't look great, but I think they should cover.
                                NEW ENGLAND Buffalo Blowout, especially with all the sign stealing going on.
                                NEW YORK (NYJ) Miami Miami look real bad this year. The Mangenious will rebound.
                                PHILADELPHIA Detroit Man, McNabb is killing my fantasy team this year.
                                PITTSBURGH San Francisco SF won't be able to hang with Omar Epps, I mean Mike Tomlin and his gang.
                                TAMPA BAY St. Louis T Bay has this "thing" going on this year. Must be Garcia who's bringing all the mojo.
                                San Diego GREEN BAY Bounce back game for the Chargers.
                                BALTIMORE Arizona I think this is finally Arizona's year. usually they lose that game they won last week.
                                KANSAS CITY Minnesota Is anyone actually going to watch this game?
                                OAKLAND Cleveland Who else thinks that Derek Anderson is crashing down to Earth this week?
                                SEATTLE Cincinnati Alexander is breaking our large this game. Atleast I hope he does.
                                DENVER Jacksonville Broncs will win, but I don't think they'll cover cuz they don't stop the run that well. I really like Cutler's arm.
                                Carolina ATLANTA Atlanta is the gong show that everyone thought they would be. Stupid me.
                                WASHINGTON New York (NYG) Giants are a mess.
                                CHICAGO Dallas I am actually rethinking my pick here.
                                NEW ORLEANS Tennessee If the Saints don't cover this spread, I consider their season over.

Comment

Working...
                                X