HawaiiThreads NFL Pick'em 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads NFL Pick'em 2007

Week 3, and why do I feel pressure? To be honest, I haven't watched a single game or read anything related to the NFL aside from "Vick's woes" and OJ's recent arrest. I did however notice that most of the point spreads are rather low which means good match ups and tough games. So, with no particular strategy at all...

INDIANAPOLIS.
    BUFFALO.
    NEW YORK JETS.
    DETROIT.
    SAN FRANCISCO.
    TAMPA BAY.
    GREEN BAY.
    ARIZONA.
    MINNESOTA.
    OAKLAND.
    SEATTLE.
    DENVER.
    CAROLINA.
    NEW YORK GIANTS.
    CHICAGO.
    NEW ORLEANS.
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Geez. I need to gain some ground this week.

Home teams in ALL CAPS. My picks in bold.
      • Indianapolis vs. HOUSTON
        Could be a shootout, but the Colts are the Colts, and the Texans are playing without Andre Johnson, who accounts for 60% of the Texans' receiving yardage in these first two games.

• NEW ENGLAND vs. Buffalo
        This one's going to bite me in the bottom. 16.5 points is a lot to give.

• NEW YORK (NYJ) vs. Miami
        I think the Jets are in big trouble. Miami will win without the points.

• PHILADELPHIA vs. Detroit
        I hope I'm wrong because I need Westbrook to turn it on. They're playing in Philly, which I think works against the Eagles this week -- the Lions have nothing to lose and the Eagles are under enormous pressure from those lousy home fans.

• PITTSBURGH vs. San Francisco
        Oh, I like this year's Steelers.

• TAMPA BAY vs. St. Louis
        The Rams just CAN'T be this bad, can they?

• San Diego vs. GREEN BAY
        Philip Rivers would have worried me last week if I'd been rooting for San Diego. It looked like all he could see was Antonio Gates, as if he has no confidence in his ability to get it to anyone else. If the Pack stuffs the box the way Chicago and New England did, the Chargers could be in big trouble.

• BALTIMORE vs. Arizona
        I almost always take a strong defense against a strong offense, but something tells me the Cardinals are due for something bizarre this week.

• KANSAS CITY vs. Minnesota
        I like the Vikings this year, and that KC offense is pathetic.

• OAKLAND vs. Cleveland
        No comment because I don't want to jinx the silver and black.

• SEATTLE vs. Cincinnati
        Ack! It's happening again, just like last year! I can't make myself pick against the Bengals!

• DENVER vs. Jacksonville
        I am telling you, this is not a good Broncos team. It could just as easily be 0-2 as its current 2-0. And it did that against Buffalo and Oakland.

• Carolina vs. ATLANTA
        Leftwich is a good addition, but it's too soon. Has anyone noticed that Joey Harrington hasn't really been that bad?

• WASHINGTON vs. New York (NYG)
        Look out for the 'Skins. They could be the real deal.

• CHICAGO vs. Dallas
        I am a sucker for great defense.

• NEW ORLEANS vs. Tennessee
        I can't believe the Saints are the favorite in this game, after what the Titans almost did to the Colts last week.

I look at these picks and see myself getting as many as 12 or as few as 6!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

At the close of Week 3, InfinityPro's double-digit pick streak ends, but still holds on to the overall lead. Kawika had the strongest picks this weekend. No doubt ploal5333 would've cleaned our clocks, but had to withdraw.

Comment

Those were the standings before the Monday night game. A look now shows that Kawika, HomeAway, and I were the only contestants to see the Saints as this year's "what happened?" team. I am not sure I get that.

True: The Colts thrashed the Saints in week 1.
          True: The Titans nearly beat the Colts in week 2.
          What the heck?: The Saints were favored by 4 against the Titans.

Until the Saints show ANY signs of being the team they were last year, or even ugly distant cousins of that team, I say you pick against them in a straight-up pick'em WHOEVER they are playing.

Deuce McAllister went down early and might be through for the season. I can't decide if this is good for the Saints (who will have to make Reggie Bush the IT guy) or bad for the Saints (who will have to make Reggie Bush the IT guy).

Meanwhile, look out for the Raiders, the best 1-2 team in the AFC!

Here are the current cumulative standings, counting the Monday game:
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Tied for last ...

Oh well.
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
              Tied for last ...
              It's a long season and we've just gotten started. You're not that far back!
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Okay here we are in Week 4, and we've yet to see a game...terrible I know especially since many of you are well versed, studied and serious 'bout some football. It's such a close season...so here's our pick, with MUCH more studying and cross-reference.

GREEN BAY.
                HOUSTON.
                BUFFALO.
                BALTIMORE.
                DALLAS.
                CHICAGO.
                OAKLAND.
                SAN FRANCISCO.
                CAROLINA.
                PITTSBURGH.
                SAN DIEGO.
                INDIANAPOLIS.
                PHILADELPHIA.
                NEW ENGLAND.

I'll admit despite the information and team scouting recaps, it again was difficult in determing a choice due to the point spread and that home field advantage was irrelevant in some games. Aaahh...HAVE FUN EVERYONE!
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Holy cow, I had a difficult time with this week's picks. Seems like every spread was EXACTLY large enough to ALMOST pick the underdog but NOT QUITE. I think I'm going to take a swan dive in the standings this week!

Home team in ALL CAPS. My picks in bold.

Green Bay vs. MINNESOTA
                  The bookmakers must know something I don't about Minnesota at home, because the Packers have looked good recently. Pack by two TDs.

Houston vs. ATLANTA
                  I am sooooo not sold on Houston, but the Falcons are going to have to do something before I pick them, much as I think their offense is not bad.

New York (NYJ) vs. BUFFALO
                  Two teams I just can't figure out.

Baltimore vs. CLEVELAND
                  Don't know if the rotating QB plan will work, but I can't think of any reason it shouldn't. Weren't the Dolphins fairly competitive with the Woodley/Strock platoon in those pre-Marino years?

DALLAS vs. St. Louis
                  Some teams haven't convinced me they're as good as they have seemed; the Rams have not convinced me they're as BAD as THEY seem. I would love to see them wake up this week and teach the Boys a lesson. Plus thirteen points seems generous against a team with Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, and Steven Jackson.

Chicago vs. DETROIT
                  The Bears aren't starting as many as six of their starting defenders.

MIAMI vs. Oakland
                  The Dolphins are 0-3 and they're favored? This sounds like a home-team-advantage spread, and I'm not buying it. They look TERRIBLE this year, and the Raiders are looking strong. Er.

Seattle vs. SAN FRANCISCO
                  I hate the Seahawks, but I really admire them, especially their coaching.

CAROLINA vs. Tampa Bay
                  I think I heard that Jake Delhomme is expected to miss this game; that could have serious repercussions, but they are the home team and I have a good feeling about this game.

Pittsburgh vs. ARIZONA
                  Only two teams in the NFL look better than the Steelers, and the Cardinals aren't one of them.

SAN DIEGO vs. Kansas City
                  I'm picking SD for the highest points total this week. I have a feeling they are going to DESTROY the Chiefs.

INDIANAPOLIS vs. Denver
                  I really wish the Colts D would make up its mind about who it is. It's confusing my fantasy team.

Philadelphia vs. NEW YORK (NYG)
                  Oh, Eli looked so good last week. But Donovan looked like a superhero. Please, more of that Westbrook magic this week!

New England vs. CINCINNATI
                  Wow. Finally, a team that can make me pick against the Bengals! Ocho-Cinco didn't score a TD last week, despite great yardage. Expect him to cross the goal line at least once this week.

Only 14 games this week; don't know if that helps me in my pursuit of the leaders or if it hinders me.

Should be some good games! And the Raiders are finally on TV this week!
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have had no time to do any real type of research, I wasn't able to watch any games lat week, so in lieu of doing a full break down of all my picks, I am posting this lame post instead. Catch you all later. Go Broncs!

PS - For those who are interested, hockey season started this weekend. Go Canucks Go!

Comment

Forgive me, I don't know how to cut and paste from the board but I'll type out the standings:

HOMEAWAY - 31
                      INFINITYPRO - 31
                      KA'U PAHALA FARMBOYS - 31
                      IT'S GO TIME - 30
                      KAWIKA FUNKY REBEL - 29
                      SCRIVENER'S BARTLEBYS - 28
                      DON'T PANIC - 24
                      ACOUSTIC LADY - 23
                      SPIDER HUNTERS - 22
                      ACOUSTIC GUY - 22

Some of you may know, I was having a bad attitude Saturday and made my picks without the consulation of NOE. Well, yesterday after winning every other game then experiencing a string of losses she concluded, "It's because you didn't ask me!" She's right. And so, next week...I'll have my consultant with me and attitude in check.

Congrats to everyone! I hope ya'll are having as much fun as we are.
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

After spending much time and effort on my methodology during the off-season, seems like I'm finally getting some decent results.

HOMEAWAY
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                          After spending much time and effort on my methodology during the off-season, seems like I'm finally getting some decent results.

HOMEAWAY
                          AWESOME HOMEAWAY, you're number one today!
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

So, how much longer does Norv Turner have the conch in San Diego? I figure they let him ride out the season, partly to give him a chance to turn things around, and partly because mid-season coaching changes never do anything except prepare for the next year.

And, how did the Eagles not end up double teaming Omenyiora (sp?). You think the coaching staff would have figured out that Winston Justice was overmatched eventually?

Man, it's hard to watch football over here. It starts so early. And until my stuff gets here, I am watching the games on my laptop through a slingbox. Great device by the way. I can't wait for my 40" LCD. I miss it so much. [sniff]

Comment

Thanks, Infinity, for the early rundown. Sorry I'm late with the summary boards! Here they are. I am indeed amused that Surfingfarmboy's scientifically developed picking system is indeed netting real results!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                Thanks, Infinity, for the early rundown. Sorry I'm late with the summary boards! Here they are.
                                Late? The week ended last night. Good work by everyone involved thus far.

Comment

Working...
                                X