Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okinawan Festival This Weekend (08/30/07 - 09/01/07)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okinawan Festival This Weekend (08/30/07 - 09/01/07)

the annual okinawan festival kicks off tonight with the film "toyama kyuzo: a theatrical performance of okinawan immigration," at 7 p.m. at the hawaii okinawa center. friday, there's a parade in waikiki at starting at niketown at 5:30 p.m. with the opening concert featuring teresa bright and others at kapiolani park. on saturday and sunday, the festival fully blooms with non-stop entertainment and cultural and craft booths. the food, of course, is what the okinawan festival is most known for--especially if you're into goya and all kinds of champuru and shoyu pork and andagi and andadogs...the list of yummies goes on!

hidden bonus: if you know eric from his days at ka leo or the star bulletin or from his days in the f&B biz or even from his current incarnation as a mortgage broker, you'll see him there in full on uchinanchu spirit, with his really adorable mom, volunteering at one of the booths! i'll probably be somewhere, wandering around, stuffing my face, doing my best to be okinawan at heart.
    Attached Files
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: Okinawan Festival This Weekend (08/30/07 - 09/01/07)

A note on the Rinken Band concert on Saturday night: Rumor has it that they'll be setting up a HUGE stage on the side for it. It won't be "just another performance" at the main band stand stage. Supposedly similar in scale and stage setup as the one held last year at UH's Baseball stadium, with synchronized lighting 'n all that. Can't confirm this yet though.

Rinken Band is a popular band from Okinawa that incorporates modern pop styles with traditional Okinawan folk music, similar to Shoukichi Kina.

There's stuff on YouTube on them.

Of course, Saturday night is also the big UH Football season opener, which makes it quite a full evening of entertainment options.

My pictorial coverage of last year's Okinawan Festival here.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      hidden bonus: if you know eric from his days at ka leo or the star bulletin or from his days in the f&B biz or even from his current incarnation as a mortgage broker, you'll see him there in full on uchinanchu spirit, with his really adorable mom, volunteering at one of the booths! i'll probably be somewhere, wandering around, stuffing my face, doing my best to be okinawan at heart.
      Would SO love to be there; the AF is uchinanchu & nikkeijin.

Comment

oi! i lied inadvertently.

eric was asked by the fest organizers to trade working one of the game booths for doing heavy labor setting up (which he did, earlier this week) and breaking down (which he will, on monday).

i know that many of you were going to RUSH to the fest just to see eric so i'm sorry to disappoint you. however, his very lovely mom will be there, as will be all the entertainment, crafts, educational stuff, and the FOOD!! so go! you aren't really living life if you've never had an andadog...or five!

...err, if you don't eat meat , they get planny ono stir fry veggie stuffs too!
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Would SO love to be there; the AF is uchinanchu & nikkeijin.
          My AF is also uchinanchu and better than I ever deserved. She'll be working in one of the booths along with our younger kids while I traipse over to Aloha Stadium for the UH football game.

Comment

I always found Okinawan Culture interesting. As a young teenager I took classical Okinawan Dance lessons from Yoshino Nakasone, and shamisen lessons from Sensei Harry Nakasone.

The funny thing is I'm neither Okinawan or Japanese, but people upon meeting me almost always think I'm Okinawan or Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
              I always found Okinawan Culture interesting. As a young teenager I took classical Okinawan Dance lessons from Yoshino Nakasone, and shamisen lessons from Sensei Harry Nakasone.

The funny thing is I'm neither Okinawan or Japanese, but people upon meeting me almost always think I'm Okinawan or Japanese.
              Neither am I, but I have quite a few Uchinanchu friends, including someone I work very close with, and a niece who is half.

Our copier repairman is pure Okinawan, yet if you seen him, you might mistaken him for being Portuguese or something like that. Hairy,with big, non-slanted eyes. He even talks plenty.

Oh, Rinken Band's big stage is confirmed. It's facing Waikiki Shell on the inside area. I seen it yesterday. Full lighting system.. the works. It's gonna' be awesome! Now only to decide what to do... UH Football Game? Rinken Band? UH Football Game? Rinken Band?

As usual, Kapiolani park is already set-up with all the tents several days ahead of the festival. This year's looks to be the biggest yet.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                As usual, Kapiolani park is already set-up with all the tents several days ahead of the festival. This year's looks to be the biggest yet.
                eric's labor is a small part of the reason why! *glows in pride for her beau*

but really, the whole event is a HUGE testament to the dedication older gen uchinanchu in this town to the festival.

maybe i'm not the proper person to say this here, since i'm not okinawan except by osmosis and the only thing i do to support the festival is eat a lot of goya, but the fest organizers were really grateful to have eric volunteer. this is because many of the current volunteers are of older generations, and they have a dearth of thirty-somethings and twenty-somethings taking part. truth be told, the fest tent setter-uppers who showed up earlier this week had a MEDIAN AGE OF SIXTY, according to eric. little old men twice eric's age were scurrying in and out of containers to bring out four by eights, wooden posts, stage platforms, etc. in the sweltering august heat. eric came away completely impressed with the physical fortitude of his elders, but he said it would have been better to see the younger generations participating with as much spirit as those old gents.

so, if you are okinawan or okinawan at heart and you're...errr...younger than sixty , please consider volunteering. it would be a shame, as the current leaders of the fest decline with age, to have the festival decline as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                  eric's labor is a small part of the reason why! *glows in pride for her beau*

but really, the whole event is a HUGE testament to the dedication older gen uchinanchu in this town to the festival.
                  Arigato to everyone who helped set up.

I went today. In fact, ran into my sister and her kids there. Cool. Actually, HOT! It was a sunny, clear day, but the trades were light, making it a scorcher. Also, Waikiki beach and Queen's was breaking some solid 3-5's, but choppy.

They moved the tents around a bit this year. Now the cultural tent, plants tent, crafts fair tent and country market tent are in the back-side area, fronting a new and massive stand-alone concert stage. Here it is...

With Diamond Head as a backdrop... Nice!...

All the performances this year are on this concert stage. The park bandstand was being used mostly as a place for folks seeking a shaded area to sit.

There was a solid crowd there. Parking was full. I lucked out finding a stall behind the tennis courts.

So there'll be a Bon Dance this evening, followed by Rinken Band at 8pm.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

You don't think I'm only gonna' post pictures of the stage, do you? Heck no!

This time I had their famous Pig's Feet Soup.. Sugoi Oishii desu!....

Okinawan Pig's Feet Soup, 28 scrips ($7)

Last year when I went in the evening, they sold out of the Pig's Feet Soup. It comes with a side of rice and minced ginger for condiment. Oh, this is good stuff and worth every scrip.

Gotta' get some of these...

Andadog, 5 scrips ($1.25)

And my half-Okinawan niece got the Yaki Soba...

Yaki Soba, 28 scrips ($7)

I love this stuff. Only thing, the soba noodles were a bit soggy.. but the flavor was excellent. Strong ginger flavor, which I like.

The prices went up a bit this year. From $6 last year to $7 for most plates.

The festival will run again tomorrow (Sunday), in case you can't make it today.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      Andadog
                      Oishisoo - tabetai!!!

Comment

Re: Okinawan Festival: Rinken Band Concert

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Oishisoo - tabetai!!!
                        Hai, wakaremasu!

Last night at the Rinken Band concert, after the last song, everyone in the audience started yelling "Ha-na-hou! Ha-na-hou! Ha-na-hou!" (one more time!). The translator then taught everyone how to say "Hanahou!" (one more time!) in Okinawan.... it's "Ma Ti Che!" (pronounced "Mah-tee'shay". Not sure on the spelling. Learn something new!

I think in japanese it's "Mo i kai". Correct me if not.

Anyways, WOW. That Rinken Band concert was totally AWESOME! I'm so glad my Uchinanchu friend (who forfitted going because he went to the UH game) urged me to check it out. The sound and lighting was superb, and the the crowd totally into it, with folks from age 2 to 80 there, clapping in unison with each song. During the last 4 or so numbers, all the younger folks got in front of the stage and danced, which got the band even more pumped.

And get this.. the drummer is only 10 years old, but he was rockin'!

During the encore songs, it began to drizzle, then drizzle heavier and heavier, almost like a blessing brought on by the band. It's that kind of chicken skin feeling and vibe you get watching them.

Tomoko Uehara, the lead female vocalist of the group, has such a smooth and beautiful voice. Here she is...

And the front end of the band was just as enthusiastic with their drums and dance.. these guys were pumped!...

The band...

Sorry about the noisy photos... I need to take a course on photography.. or I need a camera upgrade.. most likely a combination of the two. lol

If Rinken Band comes again next year, DO check it out! Whether you're Okinawan or not, you'll really enjoy their performance. Sugoi!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

MixedPlateBroker, just curious if you and/or Cyn had a chance to check out the festival at Kapiolani Park? Figure with all that hard work you did volunteering to set-up, you'd make it a point and check it out. Saturday AND Sunday was packed.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wow, I'm always impressed with the wonderful photos you take Pomai! Thank you. I really wanted to go to the festival this year, but things happen, and then you can't.

An ex-roommate got into a very bad argument with his wife, and camped out at my place from last Wednesday until yesterday. I suddenly had to find a new tenant for a property I'm renting out, then I had to meet with the new tenant AND a new property managment company. And on and on! Sheesh. At least I'm off today, and things are starting to quiet down.

Next year for sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X