Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple to redo the video iPod

Originally posted by mel View Post
    I'll wait for real world reviews of the iPod Touch before I sink some $$$ into it. Also the accessories makers are probably going to have to roll out some new stuff for this iPod, so it will be a few weeks or months before that stuff shows up too.
    Think Apple will have the same funky headphone connector for the Touch the iPhone did?

Comment

The recessed jack? That's an excellent question. I don't look forward to the day the headphones my iPhone came with eventually die.

Yeah, the iPod Touch really isn't the iPhone minus the phone. Unless you note that it's also minus the Bluetooth, speakers, and e-mail client as well. (I think the built in Google map client is also missing, but you can always just visit Google in Safari.) I'm happy to have all those things, plus a phone and data plan (so I'm not limited to Wi-Fi zones) on the iPhone. Just less than happy about the $200 early-adopter-by-nine-weeks tax!

They'll still sell a ton of the iPod Touch, though, especially the 16GB. Most of the folks who played with my iPhone said they'd buy it in an instant without the phone part. Well, there you go!

BTW, Kungpao, I have the iMuffs. I don't use them too much, though. Being free of wires is nice, but I find wires don't bother me too much. And the iMuffs have that behind-the-neck headphone design, which I just can't get used to.

ETA: Early indications are that the iPod Touch headphone jack is not recessed.
      Last edited by pzarquon; September 6, 2007, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        BTW, Kungpao, I have the iMuffs. I don't use them too much, though. Being free of wires is nice, but I find wires don't bother me too much. And the iMuffs have that behind-the-neck headphone design, which I just can't get used to.[/I]

Really? How do they sound? I'm not opposed to the behind the neck design. My main beef with my corded earbuds is that I routinely lean over and inadvertantly unplug to allow all my coworkers to hear what I'm listening to LOL. I got a longer cord extension to fix the problem but now I've got an abundance of wires on my desk. Wires to my Q, wires to my Ipod, wires on my head, wires to my keyboard, wires to my mouse! aHH!!!

On a lighter note, Gizmodo had an article showing an Ipod touch on a german ad which showed a bluetooth icon in the upper right of the unit. Maybe it's not far off?!?
        -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
          It doesn't apply to the iPhone. The iPod Touch is $24 off.

iPod Touch 8 GB $281
          iPod Touch 16 GB $375

iPod Nano 4 GB $140
          iPod Nano 8 GB $187

iPod Classic 80 GB $234
          iPod Classic 160 GB $328

iPod Shuffle $74

There's probably free shipping to Hawaii. Please double check.
          where are you getting these prices?

i just logged into the "Student" online store and no discounts on iPods. I was even told by a apple store employee months ago that they no longer give student discounts on iPods.
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

The Government employee store. I am a Government employee.
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
              The Government employee store. I am a Government employee.
              Ahhh... i see govt jobs get all the perks!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                The recessed jack? That's an excellent question. I don't look forward to the day the headphones my iPhone came with eventually die.

ETA: Early indications are that the iPod Touch headphone jack is not recessed.
                So for the iPhone, that means you are stuck with using only an Apple headphone?

About the jack being located at the bottom... I hope they have a dock that has a headphone/output jack located on it too, so that I can connect my iPod to my big stereo or powered external speakers. So far I use my iPods mostly connected to my stereo or external audio devices that are not headphones.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Gizmoto is reporting that the os in the touch is the same as the iphone. Meaning you may be able to run iphone apps on the touch. I'd love to be able to put the mail app on my touch when it arrives...one step closer to my ideal. For the first time in my life I'm interested in trying hacks on a device...this is more interesting by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    So for the iPhone, that means you are stuck with using only an Apple headphone?
                    No, there are 3rd party adapters, and companies are making headphones that fit.

the reason it's recessed is because it is longer due to the fact that it controls a microphone as well as the audio playback.

Comment

Got mine this past Friday. Wow...now I especially understand what all the Iphone early adopters were raving about. The touch interface while super cool is initially clumsy. But this soon smooths out as you learn the "moves" and get used to the touch keyboard. Yup, the calender should use that keyboard too...somehow I think that will be addressed in future firmware updates. My new bad habit/diversion is to initiate the wi-fi when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic and marvel at all the connections I pick up. Looks like even the non-techies have gotten the memo on password protecting their wireless routers.

Syncing has been a snap, and I'm stoked to have all my contacts on my touch.

Now it's time to look into some of these "hacks" I've been reading about...that and get a copy of Handbrake.

Comment

Tried out the new iPod Touch at the Apple Store today. I liked the cover art scrolling albums, the touch interface for selecting music and other iPod content. It took me a little while to figure out how to get out of the iPod player and to the Safari browser by pressing the black button at the bottom of the thing. It is nice that you can browse the internet and listen to music at the same time.

I did find the touch keyboard rather awkward. Does anyone use this for serious text inputting beyond typing in just a URL to get to a place? I looked at HawaiiThreads on the iPod Touch and it looks exactly like it does with a regular web browser. The only discouraging thing would be if I would want to make post such as this one with a lot of typing that the "keyboard" is too awkward.

The web browser doesn't support flash, so any embedded flash like the Fintune.com music player don't work.

Photo taken with my tiny Sony U30 point and shoot digital camera.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So far so good with my touch-pod. Battery life is a little bit of a let down, but considering how busy I usually am, I'll hardly ever run up against a dead battery. I pop it in the dock when I get to work and it's good to go for as long as I ever use it. The wi-fi & safari browser are getting the most use right now. The video player looks good, plays well, and the wide screen format is great. No black screen issues like the fan-boy sites were hysterical about last week. The only real bummer is that the polished backside is even more scratch prone than my old 4g 30 gig ipod. Yes Mel, my first couple tries at the touch keyboard were maddening, but the learning curve is not too steep and now it is actually feeling pretty natural. Keep in mind that this is my first experience with a hand held keyboard of any type, so I'm not married to the look or feel of a Crackberry like device. Sure, they could have made it thicker and jammed a 160 gig hard drive in it, but I'm managing just fine with the 16 gig it has. I've always manually managed my ipods so I'm not choking it up with a million and one syncs I don't really want.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone seen the new iPod touch commercial that they've been running endlessly on prime time television? I saw for a split second that the person searching for a song was typing k - e - a - and then a list of artists blinks on the screen for about 2 frames. I thought I saw Keali'i Reichel and my wife thought I was crazy, who's crazy now?

I just got tickled when I saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kawika0320 View Post
                              Has anyone seen the new iPod touch commercial that they've been running endlessly on prime time television? I saw for a split second that the person searching for a song was typing k - e - a - and then a list of artists blinks on the screen for about 2 frames. I thought I saw Keali'i Reichel and my wife thought I was crazy, who's crazy now?
                              Haha! I noticed the Keali‘i Reichel reference too!

Yeah, the TV spot was actually heavily based on a student-made video. Apple's ad agency, TBWA/Chiat/Day, approached the student after coming across his project on YouTube. You can read more about that story here. Too bad I hadn't come up with this idea first!

The song playing during the spot is CSS's "Music is My Hot Hot Sex." A fine and appropriate song indeed for the iPod Touch ("music is where I'd like you to touch").

Comment

Anyone bought a Nano ... or Classic ... any reviews of the latest iPod products would help. Especially before Black Friday.
                                just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Working...
                                X