Apple to redo the video iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple to redo the video iPod

A certain someone's birthday is on the 24th.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken to add to PZ's excellent recap, the iPhone will only be available in 8GB and $200 cheaper at $399!

This budget family is absolutely STOKED with all of the announcements. Oh happy days...iNEENZ is iHAPPY!
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
        If I'm not mistaken to add to PZ's excellent recap, the iPhone will only be available in 8GB and $200 cheaper at $399!
        Yep. Good things come to those with patience to hold out for a better price.

That said, I will probably at some point in time get one of those new iPod Touch players with audio, video and wifi. I doubt if I ever would buy anything with the wifi though. Security issues about letting your personal information fly through the air is a concern. I'll keep buying my iTunes music through the regular way, my hard wired Mac and then transfer to devices. All they are tying to do with buy on the fly, is encourage impulse buying.

Still I need to read reports as to how long battery life will be when these new iPods access the wireless web. I know the Sony PSP uses up a lot of battery time when people use those devices for web access.

How is the battery hit for those who use wifi or the web with their iPhones?
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          How is the battery hit for those who use wifi or the web with their iPhones?
          if i can remember correctly after a full charge I can use my iPhone all day for lots of calls, checking email, web surfing, map checking, then i've sat in bed and surfed the web or played a web based iphone game for at least 1hr and my battery is still not dead.
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
            Thanks. I decided to add that to the iPhone thread. Exciting as the price drop is (to folks who didn't pay the $200 early adopter tax like I did!), today's news really was about the refresh to the full iPod line.

I know a lot of folks who will be getting that iPod Touch. And I bet the 16GB model will sell out, well over the 8GB, just like the 8GB iPhone outsold the 4GB (which was killed off). Though I know 16GB isn't exactly vast (especially since the top iPod Classic now has 160GB!), I think the benefits of flash-based memory over a hard drive are pretty substantial.

Even the short, squat, new iPod nano sounds like an increasingly good option for younger users (a.k.a. My First iPod). Especially with the little games it comes with. Too bad my daughter successfully lobbied for the previous, un-video iPod Nano for her birthday earlier this year!

Comment

Drank the Kool-Aid...

could...not...resist...ordered 16 gig itouch...Mastercard said ow...biggest ow, won't ship til end of Sept...

All kidding aside, this is what I've been waiting for, a phoneless iphone. The 16 gig was a good surprise, as is the wi-fi. I see this as my traveling all in one. I consider the inability to edit docs to be a blessing, less temptation to work!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                [*]The "iPod Classic," formerly the 5G iPod video, now thinner and with an all-metal body, capacities of 80GB and 160GB. The 80GB used to sell for $350, now it's $250.The 160GB is $350.
                Must . . . control . . . self . . .

I'm getting one of these after the new year. If I can hold out that long.

Who needs to eat?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think I'll get the iPod Touch or should I wait until next year when they increase the storage capacity? Mmm, thats if I can wait...
                  "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop.."

Comment

Remember that if you buy online and work for Government or Education or go to school you can get about a 6% discount on products.

iPod Touch 16 GB $375.

When you chose store at the bottom it asks which store you want. It's a drop down menu.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I'll wait for real world reviews of the iPod Touch before I sink some $$$ into it. Also the accessories makers are probably going to have to roll out some new stuff for this iPod, so it will be a few weeks or months before that stuff shows up too.

One thing Apple is really pushing here is the iTune mobile store. They are certainly going after the impulse buyers with this, which I am not. It's a good thing I don't drink coffee and never go to Starbucks either, since that online store has a tie in with Starbucks music to encourage even further impulse buying.

The feature is to come also to the iPhone in a few weeks. Hawaii residents who like Starbucks will not get this feature until sometime next year as they are rolling this out a few cities at the time.

I also wonder how this will perform for us users of older Power Mac G4 towers, one of which is my primary computer for iTunes and synching to all of my iPods. System requirements include OSX 10.4.1 or higher and iTunes 7.4.

16GB of flash memory storage is kind of pale to the 40GB in my present 4G iPod. I guess they went with less storage to utilize the flash memory. I will probably just end up using a combination of music playlists I use for my iPod Shuffles in this thing and fill it up with some photos, podcast and video.

The thing that sells it for me is the Safari web browser and the fact that I will be able to use this as a portable web device. That is very nice. It will probably almost take the place of my old Palm PDA since I can put most of my info online in one of my secured email accounts. Looks like it also has iCal too, so that may be nice.

I don't know about the touch screen keyboard though. I tried it on a display iPhone and it seemed to be kind of clunky doing one finger typing. Could there be some kind of wireless wifi keyboard in the future? I doubt it.

This new iPod Touch is almost there as a full fledged palm sized computer.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm glad this stuff came out! My wedding anniversary is next month and my wife wanted an 8Gb nano. They've gotten better and a bit cheaper now so w00t for me! As for Classic... I don't think I have a need to replace my 60GB Ipod yet. It aint broke... don't fix it

NOW if they had ONLY integrated Bluetooth into these things, I'd be buying one now!!!
                        -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                          NOW if they had ONLY integrated Bluetooth into these things, I'd be buying one now!!!
                          Bluetooth would be nice. Then it would be easier to use a wireless keyboard with the iPod Touch.

Hmmm... maybe I ought to wait another year and hope that feature shows up.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

yeah, I'm currently looking at the iMuffs from wi-gear.com. (for my anniversary present hehe) But I dunno.. these new nano's would be nice instead of lugging my bohemoth (it seems compared to the new line) 60Gb Ipod everywhere I go.
                            -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                              Remember that if you buy online and work for Government or Education or go to school you can get about a 6% discount on products.

iPod Touch 16 GB $375.

When you chose store at the bottom it asks which store you want. It's a drop down menu.
                              unfortunately this doesn't apply to iPod products
                              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

It doesn't apply to the iPhone. The iPod Touch is $24 off.

iPod Touch 8 GB $281
                                iPod Touch 16 GB $375

iPod Nano 4 GB $140
                                iPod Nano 8 GB $187

iPod Classic 80 GB $234
                                iPod Classic 160 GB $328

iPod Shuffle $74

There's probably free shipping to Hawaii. Please double check.
                                just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Working...
                                X