Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom at Feinstein's in NYC in October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom at Feinstein's in NYC in October

Is anyone going? I usually make performances in NYC and Wolftrap -- but the tickets are just a little outrageously priced for my pocket-book... rather put the cost of the tickets towards my next trip to Hawai'i and see her there for either free or real cheap.

Just curious if anyone will go and tell us about the show.
    ~Aloha! Christina~
    Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Re: Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom at Feinstein's in NYC in October

Originally posted by Lanikaibabe View Post
    Is anyone going? I usually make performances in NYC and Wolftrap -- but the tickets are just a little outrageously priced for my pocket-book... rather put the cost of the tickets towards my next trip to Hawai'i and see her there for either free or real cheap.

Just curious if anyone will go and tell us about the show.
    Wish I could, but that's a little too far for me! Dang!

'Alika
    'Alika

Comment

--- "Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart." ---

Just had to quote/repost your description of yourself. Fascinating... as is Amy's singing. She sang at friends' wedding making the evening most memorable.
      Last edited by waioli kai; September 2, 2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Well Mahalo for that... yes... I am quite a mix there... lol. But it's true. My aunts in Greece often wonder about my pull to Hawaii... they figure it's me being born in the Pacific side of the world and it draws me for some reason.

I've never seen Amy live; but admire her singing on her cds. One day I will; NY just isn't in the cards for me right now.
        ~Aloha! Christina~

Comment

How much are the tickets??

and yeah that quote in your sig.. Im part greek by heritage as well

Comment

Originally posted by *pinao* View Post
            How much are the tickets??

and yeah that quote in your sig.. Im part greek by heritage as well
            Pinao -- tickets are 65 dollars a piece ... which is STEEP for Hawaiian performers -- which usually don't go over 35. Oh, wait -- the show last year at Wolf Trap with Keali'i Reichel in it was 50 for the better seats; but worth it IMHO.

However, 65 dollars for NYC is NOT steep.

But; when I inquired about the show on Saturday night... it was not just the tickets; but you were required to spend 40 dollars per person at the club for food and drink. Plus some other charge (don't have my notes I took in front of me). But I recall it adding up to about $240.00 for two people. AND the show is ONLY 1 hour and 10 minutes! Not only that; but putting in the gas, tolls and train charges to get us into the city... it would run us up close to 300 dollars. I love Amy; but man I hope she comes to Wolf Trap. Three hundred bucks is going towards my next trip instead.

That is cool, part Greek! I'm 100% and my hubby is a little bit of everything else. Yes, I married a "xeno."
            ~Aloha! Christina~

Comment

woah yeah so Im not coming to see her either 300.. thats way too steep..

Im 1/4ths of little bit everything.. hawaiian, puertorican, greek and danish.. we like to mix it up..
              you married a xeno?? lol howd your family take it? I hear my grandmas family almost disowned her when she married a xeno... as in my grandpa whos a dane..

Comment

Originally posted by *pinao* View Post
                woah yeah so Im not coming to see her either 300.. thats way too steep..

Im 1/4ths of little bit everything.. hawaiian, puertorican, greek and danish.. we like to mix it up..
                you married a xeno?? lol howd your family take it? I hear my grandmas family almost disowned her when she married a xeno... as in my grandpa whos a dane..
                Yea; I wonder if anyone IS going to see her... she's going to be there several nights, too.

rofl; that's too funny -- yea I guess back in your grandmas day; it was a bigger issue than it is today. My mom and hubby are very oil and water... I can't even begin to tell you all that he is; I tend to forget! English, German, Cherokee Indian, and a few other things. I guess it wasn't a huge deal for my family. But it was very appropriate that "My Big Fat Greek wedding" movie came out like a year prior; so I gave it to him as "homework" for us being together.

When I worked in Philadelphia -- a couple that ran a street cart .. she was puertorican and he greek; hooooo that is an explosive set right there... their kids were beautiful though.
                ~Aloha! Christina~

Comment

Amy was at our house at the beginning of the Feinstein's gig negotiations -- this was going to be her "launch" as a mainstream jazz singer; not a Hawaiian music gig at all. Her tracks on Matt Catingub's "Return to Romance" had just been released and were creating quite a buzz within the mainland music jazz circles. Jazz is where she got her start; she's great at it; hope the Feinstein prices don't scare folks away.

As for the prices at Wolf Trap when Keali`i appeared, wasn't that the gig that included Led Kaapana and the awesome performance by Halau o Kekuhi? Now that was DEFINITELY worth the price of admission! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Maria View Post
                    Amy was at our house at the beginning of the Feinstein's gig negotiations -- this was going to be her "launch" as a mainstream jazz singer; not a Hawaiian music gig at all. Her tracks on Matt Catingub's "Return to Romance" had just been released and were creating quite a buzz within the mainland music jazz circles. Jazz is where she got her start; she's great at it; hope the Feinstein prices don't scare folks away.

As for the prices at Wolf Trap when Keali`i appeared, wasn't that the gig that included Led Kaapana and the awesome performance by Halau o Kekuhi? Now that was DEFINITELY worth the price of admission! :-)
                    Auntie Marie -- mahalo for explaining Amy's shows a little better; that can explain the choice of venue too. I wish her all the best; maybe if hubby and I didn't get a house this year; I'd be going

Oh yes, you're correct -- it was the Face of America: Hawai'i and it was amazing, Auntie Maria. Truly something we are still talking about. In fact; after the show; the group of Ohana from the hawaii.com message boards -- we were hanging out at the Silver Diner in Tyson's Corner (near Wolf Trap) like we do after all shows... and we saw Isaac from the Aloha Boys come in; we invited him to sit with us -- but he motioned over saying he already had a booth and we saw Led sitting down. We invited the whole group to our section and he hung out with us. That was a surreal evening, indeed! I should post a picture of all of us!
                    ~Aloha! Christina~

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

It doesn't surprise me that Amy is doing jazz on the mainland -- I remember back not all that many years ago seeing her perform at Willy K's place in Kihei on Maui -- Hapa's? She was totally doing jazz at that time -- I don't remember her doing any Hawaiian at all.

I have to say that she is a very nice lady and has a remarkable voice. I hope she continues to do what she loves -- but I hope that it continues to be a lot of Hawaiian music as well!

Her duet on Kaukahi's CD ("Life in these Islands") -- and my mind has gone blank on the name......is absolutely remarkable -- I hoped it would take "Hawaiian song of the Year" at the Hoku's this year -- it didn't but she still made out pretty darn well there!

Good for her -- I hope she sells out!

Malama Pono,
                      Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Lanikaibabe View Post
                        Yea; I wonder if anyone IS going to see her... she's going to be there several nights, too.

rofl; that's too funny -- yea I guess back in your grandmas day; it was a bigger issue than it is today. My mom and hubby are very oil and water... I can't even begin to tell you all that he is; I tend to forget! English, German, Cherokee Indian, and a few other things. I guess it wasn't a huge deal for my family. But it was very appropriate that "My Big Fat Greek wedding" movie came out like a year prior; so I gave it to him as "homework" for us being together.

When I worked in Philadelphia -- a couple that ran a street cart .. she was puertorican and he greek; hooooo that is an explosive set right there... their kids were beautiful though.
                        I hope people do go see her.. shes great!

Yeah? I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding.. its so funny and some of those things are so true! And its a good homework though :P

Well I aint that pretty.. but I blame it on the danish side :P

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Maria View Post
                          Amy was at our house at the beginning of the Feinstein's gig negotiations -- this was going to be her "launch" as a mainstream jazz singer;[...] Jazz is where she got her start; she's great at it; hope the Feinstein prices don't scare folks away.[...]
                          Hey Auntie M!!! Long time, no see...irl! I think I've mentioned it elsewhere on HT that Amy's rendition of "Cry Me a River" is pretty much incomparable to any other...including Julie London's. I didn't know Amy got her start in jazz but, yea, she's got the "it" factor in that genre.

During the late '90s I cast Joe Moore's film, Moonglow. I had to find a vocalist who could sing the theme song and who would also appear on camera singing it. I received a lot of submissions from our top, local singers and Amy was hired. Her rendition of "Moonglow" was gorgeous.

Those Gilliom kids certainly got some major talent genes!

Comment

Originally posted by koloagirl View Post
                            Aloha from Kaua'i!

It doesn't surprise me that Amy is doing jazz on the mainland -- I remember back not all that many years ago seeing her perform at Willy K's place in Kihei on Maui -- Hapa's? She was totally doing jazz at that time -- I don't remember her doing any Hawaiian at all.

I have to say that she is a very nice lady and has a remarkable voice. I hope she continues to do what she loves -- but I hope that it continues to be a lot of Hawaiian music as well!

Her duet on Kaukahi's CD ("Life in these Islands") -- and my mind has gone blank on the name......is absolutely remarkable -- I hoped it would take "Hawaiian song of the Year" at the Hoku's this year -- it didn't but she still made out pretty darn well there!

Good for her -- I hope she sells out!

Malama Pono,
                            Janet
                            The name of that song is "Lei Ho'okahi." 'Ae, nani kela mele!

'Alika
                            'Alika

Comment

Working...
                            X