Thread: If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

Question If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

I was just wondering this while I watched Sportscenter.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Default Re: If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    It depends on whether or not folks would have seen fit to hold another election among the ali'i.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Default Re: If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

Quentin Kawananakoa?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

no no no...Nainoa Thompson or Bumpy Kanahele would get the vote.

pax

How did you go from Sportscenter to ... never mind.

Whoever is the reigning monarch, I wonder if they government would become a constitutional monarchy, with an elected PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post

How did you go from Sportscenter to ... never mind.

Whoever is the reigning monarch, I wonder if they government would become a constitutional monarchy, with an elected PM.
    um, there still IS a constitutional monarchy in effect. If you would learn your history (both Hawai`i and U.S.) you would understand that. and it's really not all that complicated.

oh, and I could vote for Bumpy for PM - the man is a genius and a super nice guy also.

An election to select a King? Sounds more like democracy than a monarchy.

I always thought that King's came from bloodletting, and then lineage.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    An election to select a King? Sounds more like democracy than a monarchy.

I always thought that King's came from bloodletting, and then lineage.
    Then you do not know everything. Sorry to break it to you. Here's a little bit about Kalakaua's ascension to the throne.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Damn I nearly spilt my coffee all over myself when I read this.

At least the person who started this thread was not sitting on the john when he thought of this idea, anyways SportsCenter....REALLY?

Quote Originally Posted by oldiebuff View Post
    At least the person who started this thread was not sitting on the john when he thought of this idea, anyways SportsCenter....REALLY?
    Yup. See, they were showing highlights of Timmy Chang's bad performance for Hamilton in the Canadian Football League. I was just thinking about how the dude coulda ran for governor a few years ago, and woulda pulled a huge proportion of the 18-23 years-old vote.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

If it was a true monarch there would not be a vote.

"A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king." - Herodotus

Question Re: If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    um, there still IS a constitutional monarchy in effect. If you would learn your history (both Hawai`i and U.S.) you would understand that. and it's really not all that complicated.
    Is that a condescending statement, or are you sincerely trying to educate me?
    Last edited by Random; September 5th, 2007 at 10:49 PM.

Is that a condescending statement, or are you sincerely trying to educate me?
    Neither. I was simply pointing out a fact of history that many are still not aware of. Since I don't know you, and don't know your level of knowledge - how could it possibly be condescending? The posting was certainly not intended that way & the fact that I posted when I was very tired (as I am now) could have added to the misunderstanding.

There are many on this board who have no knowledge of the history of Hawai`i, but it is not my place to educate anyone. I can suggest & maybe point in the right direction, but education is up to the individuals themselves. Many choose not to learn.

Question Re: If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Neither. I was simply pointing out a fact of history that many are still not aware of. Since I don't know you, and don't know your level of knowledge - how could it possibly be condescending? The posting was certainly not intended that way & the fact that I posted when I was very tired (as I am now) could have added to the misunderstanding.

There are many on this board who have no knowledge of the history of Hawai`i, but it is not my place to educate anyone. I can suggest & maybe point in the right direction, but education is up to the individuals themselves. Many choose not to learn.
    Well, if I were believe that your following statement is sincere...
    If you would learn your history (both Hawai`i and U.S.) you would understand that. and it's really not all that complicated.
    Would I be able to ask, "Where would I learn more about Hawai'i Kingdom political structure and their relationship with the US leading up to the overthrow?" without getting my head bitten off?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Well, if I were believe that your following statement is sincere...

Would I be able to ask, "Where would I learn more about Hawai'i Kingdom political structure and their relationship with the US leading up to the overthrow?" without getting my head bitten off?
    Well here's a start. I'm sure it's not the definative source but...

Most of these are links to the particular sites search function. When looking up stuff about Hawaii remember to also use terms like 'Sandwich Islands', 'Owyhee' or 'Owhyhee', and Hawai'i as well the assorted names you run across for the people involved in history.

For individuals who were not Hawaiian, or who were but acting in more of a social situation, reading about subjects and situations a person was involved with that were non-specific to Hawaii or politics can give the researcher an 'glimmer' of where that person's head was at.

http://www.archives.gov/

http://www.archives.gov/education/le...waii-petition/

http://www.ourdocuments.gov/content.php?page=search

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/moa_search.html

http://www.loc.gov/search/new/

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/index.html

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    ...reading about subjects and situations a person was involved with that were non-specific to Hawaii or politics can give the researcher an 'glimmer' of where that person's head was at.
    That's good advice.

Here is another link (U.S. National Archives):
    http://www.archives.gov/education/le...waii-petition/
    Sing with me, everyone!
    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf