Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

I was just wondering this while I watched Sportscenter.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: If Hawaii was still a sovereign kingdom, who would be the reigning monarch?

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    It depends on whether or not folks would have seen fit to hold another election among the ali'i.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Quentin Kawananakoa?
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

no no no...Nainoa Thompson or Bumpy Kanahele would get the vote.

pax

Comment

How did you go from Sportscenter to ... never mind.

Whoever is the reigning monarch, I wonder if they government would become a constitutional monarchy, with an elected PM.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post

How did you go from Sportscenter to ... never mind.

Whoever is the reigning monarch, I wonder if they government would become a constitutional monarchy, with an elected PM.
            um, there still IS a constitutional monarchy in effect. If you would learn your history (both Hawai`i and U.S.) you would understand that. and it's really not all that complicated.

oh, and I could vote for Bumpy for PM - the man is a genius and a super nice guy also.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

An election to select a King? Sounds more like democracy than a monarchy.

I always thought that King's came from bloodletting, and then lineage.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                An election to select a King? Sounds more like democracy than a monarchy.

I always thought that King's came from bloodletting, and then lineage.
                Then you do not know everything. Sorry to break it to you. Here's a little bit about Kalakaua's ascension to the throne.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Damn I nearly spilt my coffee all over myself when I read this.

Comment

At least the person who started this thread was not sitting on the john when he thought of this idea, anyways SportsCenter....REALLY?

Comment

Originally posted by oldiebuff View Post
                      At least the person who started this thread was not sitting on the john when he thought of this idea, anyways SportsCenter....REALLY?
                      Yup. See, they were showing highlights of Timmy Chang's bad performance for Hamilton in the Canadian Football League. I was just thinking about how the dude coulda ran for governor a few years ago, and woulda pulled a huge proportion of the 18-23 years-old vote.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

If it was a true monarch there would not be a vote.
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

"A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king." - Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            um, there still IS a constitutional monarchy in effect. If you would learn your history (both Hawai`i and U.S.) you would understand that. and it's really not all that complicated.
                            Is that a condescending statement, or are you sincerely trying to educate me?
                            Last edited by Random; September 5, 2007, 10:49 PM.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Is that a condescending statement, or are you sincerely trying to educate me?
                              Neither. I was simply pointing out a fact of history that many are still not aware of. Since I don't know you, and don't know your level of knowledge - how could it possibly be condescending? The posting was certainly not intended that way & the fact that I posted when I was very tired (as I am now) could have added to the misunderstanding.

There are many on this board who have no knowledge of the history of Hawai`i, but it is not my place to educate anyone. I can suggest & maybe point in the right direction, but education is up to the individuals themselves. Many choose not to learn.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X