Hawaii Columnists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Columnists

In the interest of discussing Hawaii print columnists, I open with the subject of today's column by Lee Cataluna.

My impression is that Amazon.com does not ship FOOD to Hawaii (my edit: I've ordered plenty of items from this site with no problems). Well, that's what I get from reading blogs such as Ilind.net, where Ian has provided much information about Amazon and HomeDepot.com, which has been shown to refuse even Hawaii-based credit cards.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by lavagal; September 4, 2007, 07:32 AM.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Hawaii Columnists

I don't know about anyone else, but I've ordered many times from Amazon.com and never had a problem. Most of my orders have come with free shipping. However, they do not ship any food items here due to Dept. of Agriculture rules. I don't shop at Home Depot.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

There was a time that groceries ordered from amazon.com could be shipped to Hawaii...but no longer. Damn! I thought the change might be due to shipping costs but not so, huh? Dept. of Ag rule? Jeez, groceries are shipped to Hawaii all the time. I can order and receive groceries from other online companies. I wonder what Amazon's real reason might be!

As far as Home Depot goes...I avoid them like the plague due to horrendous customer service; at least the Iwilei store. HD is an absolute last resort for me. After reading Ian Linde's column I doubt I'll use HD even as a last resort.

Comment

Let's see, I agree with lavagal and anapuni808, Amazon has always gotten things to me quicker than I expected, often for free and in perfect, smell-brand-new order! (I love the smell of a new book!)

I don't order groceries so I can't comment on that, but I am familiar with Home Depot and I'm afraid I have to agree with tutusue on that one! It seems that I can never get out of that store without being angry when I leave.

IanLind.net I like very much! Anyone who has that kind of character is entitled to a misprint every once in a while. This time it sounded like a case of receiving misinformation. I just shrugged it off because I personally know better. No biggy. My biggest problem is that I spend too much at Amazon!
        Aloha,
        Evelyn
        Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Changing the "subject" - another one bites the dust. This is a big loss for the paper. Erika and Kalani are the first I link to when checking the morning e-news:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/29/sports/simpson.html

Comment

Dang it! I'm sorry, Kimo! I hate it when things you like and voices you lean on suddenly disappear! Shoot! He sounds like he had a warm and fun way of writing too.

I don't know that personally... unless I've read things of his and not known I was reading them. I'm sure there are others who are agitated by this too! Hopefully the incoming writer will move into that spot easily without too many bumps.
            Aloha,
            Evelyn
            Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
              Changing the "subject" - another one bites the dust. This is a big loss for the paper. Erika and Kalani are the first I link to when checking the morning e-news:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/29/sports/simpson.html
              Kimo, thank you for the high compliment, but more importantly -- I'm SOOOOO bummed about Kalani's departure!

I totally understand his reasons (who wouldn't?)

Nevertheless, speaking from a purely selfish standpoint, I'm bummed.

He is among a very small palmful of people I would call my favorite writers -- so evocative, compelling and moving. Reading his well-crafted prose, I could feel my pulse quicken, my eyes widen, I would gasp, my adrenaline level would skyrocket, my eyes would well up, I would become incredibly proud of people I don't even know -- all of that and more ... and I'm not even a sports person.

He is just THAT AWESOME a writer and it is a HUGE loss for the Bulletin. I'm grateful that his work for the paper will remain online to inspire me to TRY to become somewhere near as good as he is someday.
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

That sucks big ones. I've wondered for years how much longer we'd be lucky enough to have Kalani Simpson here. I have a very short list of stuff in Hawaii that's too good for Hawaii, and Kalani Simpson was at the top of that list for a long time.

I am extremely critical of professional writers' use of English, and have always admired Simpson's dexterity with the language. With all due respect to others here who write for local publications, Simpson was the best. Everyone else gets to move up one spot now that he's done here.

It would be easy for me to be bitter, but I'm not. He was too good for us.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  He was too good for us.
                  I disagree that he was too good for us, given the throngs of us who deeply appreciated his writing.

I prefer to equate him to a gem that is treasured in a small viewing area but which is deserving of a more visible, more brightly lit showcase -- to be treasured by a wider audience.

We can definitely be stoked for him, that he'll (presumably) be working for a larger paper with more notoriety. (Not that he's after notoriety -- he's a very humble, low-key, genuinely nice guy.)
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Allow me to add also that he is a LOCAL voice - not an import - and we need Hawaii-born-and-raised folks in the media.

Comment

And if this is the last Kalani Simpson story in the Star Bulletin, what a way to go! Geat example of why he will be missed:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/30/sports/simpson.html

Comment

Allow me to add also that he is a LOCAL voice - not an import - and we need Hawaii-born-and-raised folks in the media.
                        that would rule me out, having only been here 26 years. born in NJ. Interesting point, though. I wonder how many meet this criteria.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

John Heckathorn mentions (as though people know about this) in his yesterday/Sunday column in the Star Bull that Catherine Toth has left the Advertiser to work for the Nature Conservancy. Has this been mentioned elsewhere? If so, I missed it.

"Reporter, popular blogger and Gridiron regular Cat Toth has departed the Advertiser for greener pastures. Literally. She now works for the Nature Conservancy."

On the other hand, her blog is still posted on the Advertiser site and has a posting at 5am today.

Wassup?

Comment

I find myself wanting to be an environmentalist all of a sudden.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

On the other hand, her blog is still posted on the Advertiser site and has a posting at 5am today. Wassup?
                              Curious indeed. Earlier today I checked her early-morning blog post, and saw at least one comment about her "new job" -- but it appears to be gone now. Either that or I just imagined it, 'cause I would've wished her well myself!

Comment

Working...
                              X