Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Default Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Finding white paint splatters on my car's headlights, hood, windshield, and bumper. The manager and maintenance people are denying it but it wasn't here before. My pet peeve is people who can't own up when they do wrong. Cowards.

Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Twice, my kitten waited until after I cleaned his litter box before he immediately took another poop. He plans it, I'm sure...

Quote Originally Posted by ploal5333 View Post
    Finding white paint splatters on my car's headlights, hood, windshield, and bumper. The manager and maintenance people are denying it but it wasn't here before. My pet peeve is people who can't own up when they do wrong. Cowards.
    I had something similar happen before I moved a couple of months ago. I had an exterior parking stall at my old office and I found something similar to what you found, but more of a fine mist than splatters. Turned out it was overspray from the condo building in the midst of being constructed across the street. Grrrr...

And, yes, people who refuse to own their mistakes are also a pet peeve of mine. Double Grrr...

I hate having to find computer drivers. I had to go through tons of hoops to find the name of the components on my laptop (using CPU-Z) then googling the drivers.

(don't worry, everything I learn at home I'll apply at my work)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
    Twice, my kitten waited until after I cleaned his litter box before he immediately took another poop. He plans it, I'm sure...
    Well...wouldn't you flush an unflushed filthy toilet before using it too?

I hate radio and TV commercials that have the sound of a phone ringing. Even if it's not the same ring as my phone, I still want to get up and answer it!

Quote Originally Posted by nikki View Post
    I hate radio and TV commercials that have the sound of a phone ringing.
    I absolutely agree. And I'll add that back in my radio daze days, we refused to run any commercial that had the sound of a siren in it, because every time I heard a siren I pulled my vehicle over to the side of the road.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    I absolutely agree. And I'll add that back in my radio daze days, we refused to run any commercial that had the sound of a siren in it, because every time I heard a siren I pulled my vehicle over to the side of the road.
    When I worked at KGU back in the early 80's we were told not to produce any spots with the sounds of tire screeching, auto accidents or emergency sirens because of that reaction from our mobile listeners.

I went in panic when I didn't see my drivers license in the usual place today. Turns out it was in my wallet, but in a different place.

In these days of rampant identity theft, I think it is only natural to be in a state of panic if your wallet is missing. Many people have their ID cards (driver license, soc. security card, [should not be there]) and other types of cards such as credit and debit which thieves can instantly use to cause more damage to your life than a lot of other things.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    When I worked at KGU back in the early 80's we were told not to produce any spots with the sounds of tire screeching, auto accidents or emergency sirens because of that reaction from our mobile listeners.
    At work our office manager has KSSK on and it's far enough away from me that I can't really hear what they're saying on the radio. But there is this commercial that uses the civil defense buzzes and it upsets me for about two-three seconds before I realize that it isn't really an emergency. Do I know what the commercial is for? NO. Do I want to know? No. And if I ever do find out, I will never buy the product it's supposed to inspire me to buy. Add to the list of sounds that shouldn't be used for commercial profit those used for civil defense emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    But there is this commercial that uses the civil defense buzzes and it upsets me for about two-three seconds before I realize that it isn't really an emergency.
    I listen to KSSK in the morning and I haven't heard that. Sure you aren't hearing the RWT - Required Weekly Test? It IS the Civil Defense buzzes - 3 long, 3 short, just like the real one. Just nobody talking between the sets of 3.

I think the RMT - Required Monthly Test, is done in a half hour before the siren test.

Exclamation Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

My pet peeve tonight?

When organizers of an event don't have their act together!

They don't let personnel know "what and when" things are happening,
    'Cause they're not even sure themselves!

What a bummer. Sure makes for misunderstandings.

I went in to work tonight (supposed to be off) to help my guys,
    but left after a couple of hours due to frustration.

The good part?
    I've got a Heineken in my hand as I write this!!!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I listen to KSSK in the morning and I haven't heard that. Sure you aren't hearing the RWT - Required Weekly Test? It IS the Civil Defense buzzes - 3 long, 3 short, just like the real one. Just nobody talking between the sets of 3.

I think the RMT - Required Monthly Test, is done in a half hour before the siren test.
    I think it's for some kind of auto sale, but I will listen more carefully. Right or wrong, I'll respond next time I hear it. If I knew it to be a weekly test, I certainly wouldn't have btchedi about it.

Here's a good one. On Saturday my wife was in line at Go to fly to Hilo from Honolulu. She was next in line to check in when the people at the check in counter started asking for passengers for all other flights to come up and check in. After a few passengers went ahead of my wife, she walked up to the counter and asked what was going on.

The person at the counter said her flight to Hilo was cancelled, meanwhile that particular flight was to have boarded by then. People flying to Hilo were a bit frustrated at the delays but were never told their flight was cancelled until my wife turned around and told everybody in line behind her that the Hilo flight was nixed, even though the flight schedules on the monitors still indicated that particular Go flight was "On Schedule"

They told her she can get a confirmed flight on the 11:30 am flight and could go standby on the 9:30 flight but because she was changing flights she was going to be charged $20 for the change. Upset? She bluntly told them it wasn't her fault Go cancelled her flight so she shouldn't have to pay that charge. They rescinded almost immediately.

She accepted the standby offer and the 11:30 Confirmation flight and was able to get to Hilo on the 9:30 flight. She and only another passenger were able to get on that flight. When she landed in Hilo there were a lot of people waiting for their loved ones who apparently were never told the flight was cancelled.

Way to go...Go! Go should have given her a free ticket at that point.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Thumbs down Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

eric and i normally don't bother with star trek: enterprise but eric taped the episode "regeneration" to see what the online trek community had been so upset about. ergh. almost wished i didn't watch cause within the first two minutes, i got so ticked my blood pressure went up. this episode totally effs up the trek timeline in terms of the borg. i've watched "first contact" many times and as far as i can remember, all the borg that went to earth to prevent cochrane's launch of the phoenix were obliterated in the earth's atmosphere by the enterprse. so how the heck are there gonna be any borg left to crash onto earth and be preserved in an artic glacier???!!!!

with "regeneration," archer and his crew steals from TNG's picard & crew starfleet's first contact with the borg. anyone who is a trekkie or trekker (there's a diff) knows that the borg eppies, which started with TNG, are among the best in the entire franchise. it's obvious enterprise writers pulled the borg out of their assterisks in hopes of bolstering the first evertrek series not widely supported by trek fans. enterprise is such a dim shadow of all the previous francises.

brannon & braga shouldn't have created enterprise. they should have developed the more widely supported idea of centering a series around starfleet academy or created a series that went forward in the timeline, not backwards. now, all they've done is make a mess of things.

*disgust*
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

It pisses me off that my parents need someone to fully check out something before they buy. My Mom just told me I have to drive my younger brother using my car to get his license because "his car" doesn't have the registration (the 2nd car to don't have that). Other times that something similar happened was when they didn't tell me they were going to buy a computer for our current business - they could have saved $200 and gotten a better printer if they'd ask me to shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
    eric and i normally don't bother with star trek: enterprise but eric taped the episode "regeneration" to see what the online trek community had been so upset about.

with "regeneration," archer and his crew steals from TNG's picard & crew starfleet's first contact with the borg.

brannon & braga shouldn't have created enterprise.
    I'm peeved just reading the post I quoted. I hated Enterprise from the day it started because everything looked too new for it to be a prequel to the original series. Now for them to mess up the timeline... sheesh. I'm glad I never saw this episode.

The Star Trek creators could have made Enterprise look exactly like how the original series looked, with the same type of starships, uniforms, etc. as they did in Star Trek Deep Space 9's episode where they went back to the Tribbles incident.

Maybe that is one reason why I'd rather stay in the Babylon 5 space time continuum.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Red face Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

My peeve of the day: People who make their own parking in crowded lots. Specifically, the numbskulls who park their cars in the traffic lane at Costco, at the end of aisles or right up on the concrete in front of the store. A loading zone is one thing, but these idiots must think they're too important to wait for a space like everyone else. Of course, by plopping their vehicles in everyone's way, the already bad traffic situation only gets worse.

Truly, the Iwilei Costco parking lot is an absolute disaster, design wise. But throw in a few SUVs and oversized "MAUI BUILT" pickup trucks, and the end is nigh. You should be allowed to ram shopping carts into these morons with impunity. Barring that, I'd be happy to partner with a local towing company, calling in a fleet of trucks every day for a cut of the recovery fees.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    Truly, the Iwilei Costco parking lot is an absolute disaster, design wise.
    The Hawaii Kai Costco has its share of parking woes as well, even after they expanded the size of the store. For one, most of the stalls are barely wide enough for a mid-size vehicle, leaving your car vulnerable to getting door-dinged. Then you have the stalls fronting the main center area which are all perpendicular, not angled with the direction of traffic, making it that much more challenging to get in and out of these tight spaces.

Not to mention quite a few "high mucky-mucks" who live in that area that act like they're the only ones in the lot.

Default Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Iím with pzarquon, but I will add to the list the people that stop at the front door of the store blocking traffic to let out their too fat wife. Hello, she needs the exercise.

If she has a legitimate walking problem then pull into the handicap stall that is right there.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    The Hawaii Kai Costco has its share of parking woes as well...
    Not to mention quite a few "high mucky-mucks" who live in that area that act like they're the only ones in the lot.
    well, I like to think I'm not a mucky-muck. I always try to park near the water or near Keahole, away from the doors.

What I'd like Hawaii Kai Costco do is change the employee smoking lounge from the mauka side of the doors to the makai side of the food court. Every time I walk in at HKI Costco, I have to tolerate second hand smoke, as do the employees who have to welcome everyone in or check them out. Not an intelligent design. What are they waiting for? An entire employee break out of lung cancer, asthma and emphysema?

Preach, 68-eldo!I'm forgiving of those traffic clots only if they're considerate enough to turn on their hazards. Otherwise, I give them a gentle 152dB reminder to drive aloha.

The AAA tow truck driver who wouldn't come up my driveway to jumpstart my car because he said the tree branches (like twigs and there was only one of them) would scratch the new paint on his new truck.
    Aloha,
    Mokihana

Quote Originally Posted by Mokihana View Post
    The AAA tow truck driver who wouldn't come up my driveway to jumpstart my car because he said the tree branches (like twigs and there was only one of them) would scratch the new paint on his new truck.
    Hmmm. The last time I got a jump start from a tow truck the guy had one of those portable units. No need to get the truck next to the car.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast