X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    Which makes my point perfectly. Why a street in good condition gets unnecessary work when your street desperately needs it?
    Hmmm...maybe a high ranking politician lives on it?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Listening to my niece and nephew at dinner last night.

Niece is 26, and wants to "chuck it all" to go and try to live on a beach in Hawai`i, and make a living as an artist and surfer. *sigh...* (Yes - you folks in the Islands have heard it all before; how many threads are there here, from people with that same dream?)

Meanwhile, the 22-year-old nephew just came back from a week visiting friends on O`ahu - and the stories he told of his behavior tell me that he would have come across as yet another ignorant Mainland "f***in' haole," who thought he was hilarious.

While I don't want to crush the niece's dreams, I had to give her a few reality checks about the costs of "paradise." The nephew? He's too young to give a crap right now, I'm afraid. They are good kids, and smart, but still have a lot of learning ahead of them, that's for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        Which makes my point perfectly. Why a street in good condition gets unnecessary work when your street desperately needs it?
        I think it is truly criminal how terrible the condition of our streets are.
        No where else that I've driven, unless on an actual dirt road has been as bad.

It's destroying our vehicles, while we're paying fairly high road use fees and taxes.

Sheesh!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          I think it's for some kind of auto sale, but I will listen more carefully. Right or wrong, I'll respond next time I hear it. If I knew it to be a weekly test, I certainly wouldn't have btchedi about it.
          OK! So today on KSSK FM at approximately 2:52 p.m. I heard what sounds like a Civil Defense buzz alert on the radio. Given the two massive earthquakes and subsequent tsunamis generated around the pond today, I purposely went up to the radio to ascertain what it was: a sale at BEST BUY. This time I had my office manager listening to it with me. She agreed with me that sirens or emergency signals should be used for advertising. Anyone else hear it?
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            OK! So today on KSSK FM at approximately 2:52 p.m. I heard what sounds like a Civil Defense buzz alert on the radio. Given the two massive earthquakes and subsequent tsunamis generated around the pond today, I purposely went up to the radio to ascertain what it was: a sale at BEST BUY. This time I had my office manager listening to it with me. She agreed with me that sirens or emergency signals should be used for advertising. Anyone else hear it?
            You must have meant SHOULD NOT BE, right?

I never heard such a Best Buy ad using that. Are you sure it was part of their ad, and not a test by Civil Defense immediately before it?

Ever since the 2004 Indonesian quake and tsunami tragedy, I've notice more and more CD buzz alerts on the radio. Possibly in response to any significant seismic events around the Pacific Basin.

The Pacific's "Ring of Fire" has been quite active lately, including that deadly quake in Peru just recently. Scary.

With that, NOAA's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is a good site to keep bookmarked.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              You must have meant SHOULD NOT BE, right?

I never heard such a Best Buy ad using that. Are you sure it was part of their ad, and not a test by Civil Defense immediately before it?

Ever since the 2004 Indonesian quake and tsunami tragedy, I've notice more and more CD buzz alerts on the radio. Possibly in response to any significant seismic events around the Pacific Basin.

The Pacific's "Ring of Fire" has been quite active lately, including that deadly quake in Peru just recently. Scary.

With that, NOAA's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is a good site to keep bookmarked.
              yup! my mistake. I really don't think it was a drill folllowed by a best buy ad.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I hate the EAS sound. I think I preferred the older EBS sound.

In order to broadcast the EAS beeps (for the monthly EAS test) one must enter the four digit code on the EAS console.

I would think the FCC would restrict the commercial use of an EAS signal for obvious reasons. Continued use of this signal for non-emergencies or non-CD alerts could cause one to turn a deaf ear when an actual alert is broadcast.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  I would think the FCC would restrict the commercial use of an EAS signal for obvious reasons. Continued use of this signal for non-emergencies or non-CD alerts could cause one to turn a deaf ear when an actual alert is broadcast.
                  Exactly. Like "crying wolf".
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

PPoD a couple of days ago was people who have higher degrees or specialized certifications and think said degrees/certs give them a pass to act condescendingly towards others.

i was gonna describe what happened to inspire this post but since it's work related, i can't. *sigh*
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I would think the FCC would restrict the commercial use of an EAS signal for obvious reasons.
                      On the contrary, it's mandated to be tested weekly. It was suspended for a short bit after 9/11 because everyone was so jittery.

Now, depending on the alert - in a real alert you'll also have the old EBS style tone.

Me, when I hear those 3 long burst, I listen. If the next thing I hear is 3 short bursts, all is well. If I hear something else, like a EBS tone, ugly stuff is happening.

Comment

Learned today that I didn't get a job I was trying for (though I was "first runner-up," you might say.) From the original application date until today, it took three months of time, during which I had three interviews with 'em.

Ah well...onwards. You never know when these things will turn out to be for the better. Got a kanikapila tonight; that's bound to make me feel good.

Comment

Might be a pet peeve of the year rather than the day *sigh*

After almost two years post brain surgery, my oldest is starting to seize again.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                            Might be a pet peeve of the year rather than the day *sigh*

After almost two years post brain surgery, my oldest is starting to seize again.
                            Crap. I'm praying that your child will stabilize with new treatment. It's a really scary thing to lose total control of all your faculties and be unable to do anything about it. I hope, most of all, that the seizures are not the result of a new lesion forming.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              Crap. I'm praying that your child will stabilize with new treatment. It's a really scary thing to lose total control of all your faculties and be unable to do anything about it. I hope, most of all, that the seizures are not the result of a new lesion forming.

Miulang
                              She's an 'uncontrollable' epileptic and has three anomaly areas, one in the left occipital area, one in the right hemisphere and one in the hypothalamus area (deep central). She was gridded for 10 days but wouldn't seize during it so the docs couldn't localize a particular focci....so they took out what was showing as abnormal sparking. They don't normally operate on kids with involvement in both hemispheres, but they made an exception since the sparking was so strong there.

Her doc, Dr Chugani, worked with a kid living there in Hawaii and hears from him every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                                She's an 'uncontrollable' epileptic and has three anomaly areas, one in the left occipital area, one in the right hemisphere and one in the hypothalamus area (deep central). She was gridded for 10 days but wouldn't seize during it so the docs couldn't localize a particular focci....so they took out what was showing as abnormal sparking. They don't normally operate on kids with involvement in both hemispheres, but they made an exception since the sparking was so strong there.

Her doc, Dr Chugani, worked with a kid living there in Hawaii and hears from him every so often.
                                Yeow. Isn't that the way it always is, though? Nothing bad ever shows up when they're watching. Is there a possibility that she can "outgrow" most of the seizures, or will they have to keep testing her to identify the location of abnormal waves and hope they can find them and treat them?

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X