This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

My pet peeve today was a promo by Joe Moore for the 10pm news. He was talking about an upcoming story on the two shark attacks in San Diego this week... and he called it "the western Pacific ocean."* Hello, Joe... that's the eastern Pacific ocean.Duh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      My pet peeve today was a promo by Joe Moore for the 10pm news. He was talking about an upcoming story on the two shark attacks in San Diego this week... and he called it "the western Pacific ocean."* Hello, Joe... that's the eastern Pacific ocean.Duh.
      maybe ole baldy was reporting from bizarro world.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        Okay, found my pet peeve for today... What?!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          Okay, found my pet peeve for today... What?!
          baldy = joe moore (it's magical how he had less hair in the 80s than he does now)

bizzaro world = world where right is left, up is down, good is bad...so when baldy locates SD as "western Pacific ocean" ... *stops drawing picture*
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Oh wow, I had forgotten about this thread!

Mine for today is that I don't have one, LOL. I haven't had one in longer than I can recall. Oh sure, drivers still change lanes without signaling and that's been one for much of my life, but irritated? annoyed? seriously?? Life's just too short and as I age I am finally maturing and not letting things bother me that used to, could and maybe even "should."

The more I meditate/pray and find my center, and then go out into the world, this crazy traffic at times on this little rock, and encounter the idiocy at times, as well as peoples' attempted cruelties then I do see what used to be true pet peeves of mine, but now it's as if people are actually trying to bother me and they are utterly failing.

I do believe there exists a type of person that consciously tries to get to us, oh hell I KNOW it's true, and then I believe that many others are like on "auto pilot" and they subconsciously try to dump their frustrations on others by irritating us, but they are no longer succeeding with me.

If a person tells a dirty or worse, truly disgusting joke and the listener does not laugh, then that person "has egg on their face" and this same principle can be used in other types of situations, hence be how we live our lives, not letting things or people's mind games get to us. In fact we can be one step ahead of them and see what they are trying (and failing) to do. They then are left with egg on their faces and we are carefree as a bird.

Pet peeves? I ain't got no stinkin pet peeves, LOL.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

my pet peeve of the day is writing infected by rambling, run-on sentences with arbitrary punctuation and littered with frivolously copious interjections. the disorganization is unsightly literary graffiti to my eyes. makes me want to assault it with a green pen, or better yet, eradicate it completely.
              Or a complete lack of capitalization - just as bad as a failure to properly punctuate, to some eyes.

(Posted with a nudge of friendship, of course.)
              Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 1, 2008, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Or a complete lack of capitalization - just as bad as a failure to properly punctuate, to some eyes.
                tell ee cummings that.

it's "failure to punctuate properly." split infinitive.
                Last edited by cynsaligia; May 1, 2008, 06:39 AM.

Comment

tell ee cummings that.
                  Or k.d. lang. Or Don Marquis.
                  and for that matter, it's "failure to punctuate properly." split infinitive.
                  Yeah - but my way scans better.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Yeah - but my way scans better.
                    only bcs the wrong way has become the norm...much the way "normalcy," a taftism (i think it was pres. taft) much like there are bushisms. the correct form is "normality."

i win!

Comment

only bcs the wrong way has become the norm...much the way "normalcy," a taftism (i think it was pres. taft) much like there are bushisms. the correct form is "normality."
                      Sort of like people saying "I could care less," which means the opposite of what they want to say.

As Winston Churchill famously did not say: "This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."

Then again, we have William Safire's note: "If sticking grimly to rules of grammar makes you sound like a pompous pedant, you are a pompous pedant."

Countering that, Mark Twain: "The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between lightning and lightning bug."

We all win!

Comment

my pet peeve for today: the caregiver says he has landed another job for double what we are paying him. he's going to work both places. does he really think he's worth $30/hr when he sleeps on the job A LOT?! what about wanting to use clorox wipes on mom because, "they would make her cleaner"?!!!! what???!!!! and, she had an accident on the bathroom floor. instead of using the stupid clorox wipes to disinfect and "make it cleaner", what does he do? use her nightgown. what an IDIOT!!!!!

then there's the hospice aide who was supposed to bathe mom on tuesday. i can't even get into that. i'm so IRATE just thinking about her lame excuses. she's been caught in so many lies. i just want to slap her !@#$%&* head.

sorry, thanks for letting me vent.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                          my pet peeve for today: the caregiver says he has landed another job for double what we are paying him. he's going to work both places. does he really think he's worth $30/hr when he sleeps on the job A LOT?! what about wanting to use clorox wipes on mom because, "they would make her cleaner"?!!!! what???!!!! and, she had an accident on the bathroom floor. instead of using the stupid clorox wipes to disinfect and "make it cleaner", what does he do? use her nightgown. what an IDIOT!!!!!

then there's the hospice aide who was supposed to bathe mom on tuesday. i can't even get into that. i'm so IRATE just thinking about her lame excuses. she's been caught in so many lies. i just want to slap her !@#$%&* head.

sorry, thanks for letting me vent.
                          working in healthcare, i'm sorry to hear about your experiences. pls check your PMs when you get a chance.

Comment

Religious intolerance to the degree that it considers vandalism and theft acceptable means of communication. (Submitted for personal, not general, reasons.)

Comment

pet peeve today is PMS. it makes me sneer at my sweets when he doesn't deserve it. luckily, he is relatively gentle when he calls me on it. and thankfully, my hormonal ms. hyde trip is usually not so severe that when he chides me, i am able to recognize my error, apologize for it sincerely, and immediately improve my behavior. adding to my chagrin, i sometimes tear up a little bcs i feel so bad when i get the scoldings i deserve.

on a side note, i once saw a documentary which said those who do the male-to-female sex change understand the hormone swing thing, in ways they never could as males, once they start a hormone regimen. how validating to us natural-born females!
                              Last edited by cynsaligia; May 4, 2008, 08:45 PM.

Comment

One Uppers

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/pe...ool/3032450414
                                Last edited by OahuGirl; May 4, 2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X