X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Yeow. Isn't that the way it always is, though? Nothing bad ever shows up when they're watching. Is there a possibility that she can "outgrow" most of the seizures, or will they have to keep testing her to identify the location of abnormal waves and hope they can find them and treat them?

Miulang

Nah, she won't outgrow it, she's 14 and it really hit strong with puberty (hormonal acceleration). The doc will just keep upping her meds for now...or swapping em out as new stuff comes along. I'm thinking about getting her on birth control pills to regulate the hormonal spikes tho...she seems to have more auras and seizures when it's close to menses.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      On the contrary, it's mandated to be tested weekly. It was suspended for a short bit after 9/11 because everyone was so jittery.

Now, depending on the alert - in a real alert you'll also have the old EBS style tone.

Me, when I hear those 3 long burst, I listen. If the next thing I hear is 3 short bursts, all is well. If I hear something else, like a EBS tone, ugly stuff is happening.

When I meant "commercial use" I meant for Commercial...use you know as in commercials.

The EBS system was scrapped entirely for the EAS system so I don't believe you'll ever hear the EBS alert ever again. As a matter of fact you won't even find an EBS authenticator placard in any radio station anymore. It's all EAS now.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        The EBS system was scrapped entirely for the EAS system so I don't believe you'll ever hear the EBS alert ever again.
        Yes, but the old tone is still part of the EAS standard. I can only guess it's there for backward compatibility for older alert receivers.

Wikipedia Link

Actual sample

Comment

sigh.

peshkwe, my pet peeve of the day seems so petty next to yours. i'm not even going to post it. i hope things get better soon for your daughter.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
            Might be a pet peeve of the year rather than the day *sigh*

After almost two years post brain surgery, my oldest is starting to seize again.
            I just saw this.

You and your daughter are in my PRAYERS!

(((Hugs))

Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              What I find interesting is that the criminals must've made an actual physical card with my account information, since it wasn't just an online shopping spree. They actually went drivin' around, spendin' until there was nothing left. There were $500 and $600 purchases at "Linens and Things," $300 at Marshalls, $74 (!!!) at KFC, $74 at "Brownsville Liquor Store," $30 at ExxonMobil, $15 at McDonald's in Brooklyn... all last night and this morning.
              You posted that on September 9, so... any update on that situation, Ryan?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

We got a 'provisional credit' from the bank for the full amount stolen, but said bank is also getting fuzzier and fuzzier over the prospects of recovery or outright refund (as DDA funds are not, obviously, the same as credit card balance). Which means we may ultimately end up owing the money back to the bank, rendering said 'credit' not much more than a temporary placebo.

We are so done with this bank it's not even funny. But until it's "case closed," we're sticking it out. It's obvious they'd jump at any chance to get us out of their lives.

Comment

We got a 'provisional credit' from the bank for the full amount stolen, but said bank is also getting fuzzier and fuzzier over the prospects of recovery or outright refund (as DDA funds are not, obviously, the same as credit card balance). Which means we may ultimately end up owing the money back to the bank, rendering said 'credit' not much more than a temporary placebo.
                  I've never heard of anything like that! Oh, I understand them doing it, just to make sure you really didn't do it and are trying to get out of the bills, but given that it's in stores far away from your location, I'd think this would be a short-lived investigation.

My credit card problems was at worst "sign the forms, mail it back".

We are so done with this bank it's not even funny. But until it's "case closed," we're sticking it out. It's obvious they'd jump at any chance to get us out of their lives.
                  Be sure to update us on the name of said bank.

BTW, I must say that about the only CC I've ever canceled was on a local bank. The timing of the due date didn't match my billing cycle and if you were late one month they nailed you for two months. And my credit limit was pathetic ($300?). I was much happier with CC from other sources. But I still have my checking and savings at said bank.

Comment

my pet peeve of the day is self-inflicted.

i hate that one word--mistakenly written, and which i wrote--has had a bad effect on some individuals i work with, some customers of ours, and the organization i work for as a whole.

one word.

mistake.

nevermind that three others read what i wrote and didn't catch my mistake.

I wrote it, i proofed it (badly, apparently) and so i take full responsibility for it. i just feel so badly for all the people who have been adversely affected by it. i felt violently ill after the discovery. it's now more than six hours later, i don't feel much better.

and really, given the consequences that ONE WORD had, i'm not sure i should feel better.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

pet peeves today:

conspiracy theorists who make blanket statements: all vaccines are bad, the superferry is going to bring copper-thieving/drug using/drug selling/invasive species implanting/opihi hogging locust hordes from oahu and allow them to overrun the pristine neighbor islands, cake is bread and there is a cake lobby which pays people to post pro-cake on HT, all mortgage brokers and realtors are bad (this one really ticked me off bcs it was an attack on my eric...grrr! ), u$ corporati$t$ $omething or other cause i can't get past all the wierd font crap....

non-team playing co-workers who have a penchant for causing drama, being two-faced, and being ridiculously penny-pinching when it's to their advantage but yet making outrageous demands of everyone else (like, if your dept uses five fimes as much paper as everyone else in the shared copier, but yet you demand that everyone else buy just as much paper as you do...grrrrrrrr again!)

funny tummy. you guys know how much i love food, but today all i had was very small quantities of bland, boring stuff (soup, noodles, practically plain rice, crackers). shoot--a piece of bad cake would have been a flavor revelation today!

Comment

you guys know how much i hate selfish drivers.

observed on the drive from kaimuki to work this morning, starting at the 5th ave ewa-bound onramp and ending at the pali off:

as i was about to turn left get onto the 5th ave onramp from the kokohead side, the driver of a shiny new black jeep SUV (liberty? couldn't tell) coming from the opposite direction sloooooooooooooowly turned right onto the same onramp and continued to crawl onto the freeway at about 15 mph. she was on her phone as she did this, and her dog was in the back seat, all the windows (even the back one) open as far down as they cold go. there were four other cars backed up behind me as this was going on, so i put my car in neutral and "growled" at her to move it along (going this slow while entering the freeway, after all, is a hazard, especially in an area where people are not only trying to get on the freeway, but off it at king).

i guess that upset her, because the next thing i knew, her right foot got awfully heavy and she took off, travelling quickly from the right lane all the way into the left lane, all the while not signalling and forcing other cars to brake. she must have reached close to eighty miles an hour because i was going close to sixty, and she passed the university off while i was still clearing the king street off. additionally, she was tailing a white mustang pretty hard. a couple of times, the jeep tried to pass the mustang by going into the right lane but there was always a car to the right who (very likely unknowingly) boxed the jeep in. both of those times, she actually swerved her jeep into the right lane and immediately swerved back into the left lane.

traffic slowed down a bit due to the de-coning that happens between the lunalilo on and vineyard off, so i was able to see the jeep driver's poor dog (maybe a german shepherd? didn't get a good look) being forced by the erratic motion of the vehicle to fall into a sitting position. eventually, the jeep managed to get over to the right lane, but the mustang (probably irritated at the tailgating and bullish driving) immediately cut over to the same lane, forcing the jeep to brake hard, too. (again, i feared for the dog). the next thing i knew, the jeep found an opening and veered all the way to the right (again, without signalling, and causing other drivers to brake) and barely made the pali off.

the part that makes me shake my head about this, besides the jeep driver having been on the phone and driving in a way that endangered not only other people on the road but her own dog, was the sticker plastered on her bumper, which said:

"WHAT??!!!"

indeed.

Comment

Geez and you didn't honk your horn?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

heh. i was wondering (1) how quickly someone was going to ask that and (2) who the inquisitioner would be.

contrary to the image my posts (and eric's, too) might promote, we're not driving in fervent alert for a honking-for-better-driver-education opportunity.

Comment

Once again, someone in the biology dept. left the water running and flooded out my lab and office located 1 floor below them. This has happened at least 5 times in the last three years. This time they got a computer, several multimeters, flooded out two drawers, destroyed a solid oak benchtop and, of course, the ceiling is no more. At least this time it is stuff that can be replaced. In the past it was a model of a 17th century building that my father built for me and a rare print I had on the wall.

You would think these people would learn to turn off the water. Of course they always apologize and try to replace things that were damaged. But.....

I did enjoy the note the chair of our department sent threatening to unleash a bottle of liquid nitrogen in their greenhouse.........

Comment

So I'm on vacation this week, and took my boat out to the sandbar. Only one other boat was out there. I did the proper thing and anchored a long way away from them, so both of us could 'have our space' and enjoy the peace and quiet.
                                But.
                                Within about 20 minutes, not just one but three pontoon boats (probably rentals from MCBH) came out and decided they all had to anchor really really close to me. Lots of yelling and noise from the "adults" (in quotes, because they were not acting very mature) and their kids were screaming their heads off too.
                                I do not like rude, inconsiderate people.
                                And yes, I'm going to have a word with the folks who handle the rental boat operation at the base, and suggest that it would be a kindness if they'd remind folks about proper boating manners.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X